This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 02:20:24 am    Post subject:

I am just making an announcement that we have decided that we have been pretty lax when it comes to moderation of the forum. There will be very few changes, but the warnings now have meaning. Most of the below is directly from me.

It used to be that we would just keep warning and the warn indicators would go up without consequence. In Fact, it was even a joke that someone poked fun of by messing with their signature to show a 250% warning. Truthfully, warnings had no merit except for us to take notes.

This has now changed.

There are 4 warning levels in increments of 25% ranging from 0 to 100%.

Each Warning level now has an action we take as UTI-STAFF. The first warning for example is just a warning... there are some temporary bans as well some where in the middle of the list, and at 100% you are permanently banned to never return.

Warnings will now be posted with longer comments about 1 paragraph (minimum 3 sentences) and a link will be included too. Any questions or comments can be brought forth via Private Message or IRC (unless banned). With this in mind, private IRC messaging is probably best as arguing about a ban only causes heat in the channel.

You will NOT be banned or punished for talking to an Admin or Staff Member in private. Bans will be implemented only if you go against our written Terms and Conditions in a public forum. In other words, publicly on the forum. If you wish to PM me and call me a moron, an idiot, or give a general shutout, I can take it and will not implement a warning. If you interfere with or cause problems for others, I will intervene.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2007 07:27:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 07:53:49 am    Post subject:

This is a pretty good deal imho. Some people just abuse their right to post on the forums. And Invisionfree had pretty strict rules anyway, and I'm sure lot of other forums out there have. For example, if someone flamed or spammed in the help section, he could no longer post in this section. If he kept advertising via PM he got his entire PM system disabled. If you advertised on the board or spammed often, you got warned to not do it. Further offense leaded to a ban.

I would even go with 3 levels of warnings if i were you though. Because, normally if you don't get it after 3 warnings, it's because you either don't care, have fun testing staff nerves or can't even read at all. First warning via a post/warn increase, second via pm/warn increase, 3rd temp ban/warn increase, then 4th permban

And ban evasion on the temp ban means permban
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 08:07:46 am    Post subject:

Is there any way for the warning level to go down? :ninja:
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 08:09:08 am    Post subject:

Your suggestion DJ Omnimaga seems a little bit harsh. I like the way the net-wiz has set it up.

I think this is a good idea seeing how we had no real system set up to deal with a certain recent event. This should create less confusion/arguments in the future, b/c the rules are now spelled out.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 06:40:40 pm    Post subject:

well my solution was pretty much the same, just with lower amount of warnings needed before ban. I guess it all depends of point of views though, plus I may be biased because bad stuff recently happened over here *cough*arcane*cough*

But netwiz idea is pretty cool anyway.
baorder54
Elite

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 07:04:47 pm    Post subject:

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
I would even go with 3 levels of warnings if i were you though. Because, normally if you don't get it after 3 warnings, it's because you either don't care, have fun testing staff nerves or can't even read at all. First warning via a post/warn increase, second via pm/warn increase, 3rd temp ban/warn increase, then 4th permban

[post="111798"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ah, I see. And thats how you handle it at Omnimaga right?

@netwiz: if the rules are enforced better, I would be more inclined to start posting...

Last edited by Guest on 29 Aug 2007 07:05:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 07:50:30 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
Is there any way for the warning level to go down?  :ninja:  [post="111799"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Time heals all wounds Including, for the most part, little red boxes and numerical percentages.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 09:48:08 am    Post subject:

Can you be warned on the forums for saying something on IRC though?
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 05:12:02 pm    Post subject:

baorder54 wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

[post="111798"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ah, I see. And thats how you handle it at Omnimaga right?
[post="111837"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not anymore, we used to ban right away if there was a flame, but now I try to control myself more, and we rarely permban anyway. Usually the ban is lifted after an apology, but in extreme cases (especially on IRC), we can permban *cough*Randomist*cough*arcane wizard*cough*, and permban is kinda an understatement here because it never last longer than a year. Right now those are the two only ban we got
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 06:13:26 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to add that we are hoping we never have to implement any of these measures. In early times, TOS violations were mostly one-time affairs with newbs or very inactive members. Now that's shifting to the opposite case, so I think it's good thing we're clarifying the repeat offenses policy. No one's going to say with a straight face that they didn't know what they were getting into.

Also, if anyone's unsure if a post will cause problems, check with the moderating team beforehand rather than after. No one gets in trouble for double-checking.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2007 06:14:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2007 07:29:48 pm    Post subject:

I'd also like to clarify something NETWiz said. If you PM us and insult us, we won't take any actions, although we'd rather you didn't because we're really nice guys. However, if you PM other members with something offensive that breaks the rules, and those other members complain to us, we WILL take action.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 01:59:10 am    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
I'd also like to clarify something NETWiz said. If you PM us and insult us, we won't take any actions, although we'd rather you didn't because we're really nice guys. However, if you PM other members with something offensive that breaks the rules, and those other members complain to us, we WILL take action.[post="111935"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's true all the Staff members here really are nice/good guys, they wouldn't be staff members if they weren't. :)

The problem is that sometimes we just have to put our foot down to keep the peace. Otherwise if we didn't instead of just one person being temporarily unhappy, nobody would be happy.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 06:26:47 am    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
I'd also like to clarify something NETWiz said. If you PM us and insult us, we won't take any actions, although we'd rather you didn't because we're really nice guys. However, if you PM other members with something offensive that breaks the rules, and those other members complain to us, we WILL take action.[post="111935"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's true all the Staff members here really are nice/good guys
[post="111950"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I disagree, they don't even give peanuts here for new members Sad
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 09:52:44 am    Post subject:

Well, there's always the login cookie. And we don't have to check about peanut allergies. Razz
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Aug 2007 03:35:53 pm    Post subject:

ah lol yeah that :D

but cookies sucks for new ppl registering who only have access at school or library because they always get stolen Razz
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 01:45:35 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
[post="111891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is a very good question. My response is, "No" though we don't have a policy on it.

We should create one. I am going to reset all forum warnings, so anyone who was unjustly warned will be forgiven.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 01:48:47 am    Post subject:

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
AlienCC wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:

It's true all the Staff members here really are nice/good guys
[post="111950"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I disagree, they don't even give peanuts here for new members Sad
[post="111951"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hum, err. Must have forgot to give DJ Omnimag his gift bag back in 2003 :biggrin:
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 02:46:14 am    Post subject:

Hello,

UPDATE:

I have adjusted the forum's warning system as promised. Someone already set it to 4 warnings which is just perfect and I have tested it too with DJ Omnimaga by warning him 4 times to test the system. I reset it :-)

Here is why it is 4 times. The first time someone is warned, 2 blocks appear, even though the warning increases only 25%. That will rattle them a bit. Second, I chose 4 warnings because we will be giving the verbal warning via the warning system, yet really have a 3 strike policy. I.e. the first warning does not count towards anything. It is considered a verbal warning when your level is adjusted to 25%. You still have all 3 strikes before a permanent ban. By the second strike you will be increased to 50% and at this point at the moderator's digression you may be temporarily banned for a very short period of time about 1 to 3 days at the most.

In Other words, it works like this:
If someone has to be warned for anything, we will use the warning system to log it. Without the Warning system, nobody is going to remember if a verbal warning system is used.

To be fair to everybody in the group, I reset the entire warning system. Everybody who has had a warning > 0 has it set back to 0 and I also cleared all the logs. We have no history on any body's previous offenses, except the warnings table in the database shows a 0 instead of a NUL if the system has ever been used.

We have increased the moderator role at United-TI to empower moderators:
1. Moderators now have the ability to take away posting rights/BAN!
2. Moderators can warn someone more an unlimited amount of times in 24 hours instead of the previous 1 warning a day limit. (I still don't want to see more than 2 warnings a day per user. If we see 3 in one day, it means a cool-off ban should have been implemented).

This does not mean that moderators can move a user to the banned group. It is intended only for temporary BANS i.e. no posting. If a moderator maxes out someone's warning, it will be submitted to the UTI-STAFF for final review/permanent ban

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2007 03:50:12 am; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Sep 2007 08:15:36 am    Post subject:

It sounds fair. Go for it.

But I thought UTI banned for something said or done on IRC before? Because this happened with leofox and arcane, altough arcane really took it on the extreme
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Sep 2007 01:48:47 pm    Post subject:

NETWiz wrote:
leofox wrote:
[post="111891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is a very good question. My response is, "No" though we don't have a policy on it.

We should create one. I am going to reset all forum warnings, so anyone who was unjustly warned will be forgiven.
[post="112002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I generally see the forums and IRC separate enough that administrative action doesn't need to carry over from one to the other. They are different mediums and simply because IRC doesn't maintain a permanent record (unless someone logs it, but still), there is a lot that is permissible in IRC that i would hope to never see on a forum. IRC tends to be more stream-of-consciousness as opposed to the more structured atmosphere of the forums.

That being said, there are still rules on IRC, both rules for the server and rules specifically for the #unitedti channel (UTI-IRC rules can be found here and server rules can be found in the MOTD when you connect to the server. If someone with access to UTI's webspace wants to format & move the rules to somewhere on the unitedti.org domain, let me know and I'll update the link in the channel topic).

Last edited by Guest on 08 Sep 2007 01:49:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement