This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Sep 2007 08:05:19 pm    Post subject:

this is why i stopped visiting IRC (except for one private channel) for a while
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 09:20:55 pm    Post subject:

Well, may I be the first to welcome you back? If anyone feels unhappy or has a better suggestion for how to handle warnings, please let me know. I am open to suggestions.

Essentially, I just want to standardize our procedures to make it known what we stand for here at United-TI. At the same time, we strive to provide an adequate forum for unabridged, free speech; while, simultaneously preventing abuse. How can we provide free-speech to everyone and at concurrently censor posts to ensure smooth-operations of the forum and no hurt feelings?

This is what I struggle with and for that reason I try to come up with defining policies to provide an open venue while still ensuring the forum runs smoothly.

To repeat, I try to be a nice guy whenever possible. I will "take your word," "stand up for you," and "give you the benefit of the doubt." Only when there is supporting evidence that convinces me beyond any reasonable doubt that someone has acted in a malevolent manner will I take action to ban et cetera.

My motivation is not to curtail this forum or dictate more rules and regulation, but to standardize the treatment of offenses in an effort to provide a more-fair form of justice.

I do not like the idea of having a moderator or administrator ban someone and tell them something along the lines of: "We will let you know when you can come back, but we are not going to tell you when that will be until we feel the urge to inform you"

It disgusts me when someone says or implies: "What you need to do is apologize to me, then I will let you know if I accept your appology and let you back in. I expect you to beg me and tell me how sorry and wrong you are

Yet amazingly, I respect a sincere apology. If I ban someone, I will never ask for an apology. It is just business to me. I am not really actually angry with the person or people whom I ban.

I dislike it when someone who is banned writes nasty PMs and takes personal offense and wants to argue about it. I am not interested in arguing about it

I dislike it when an admin or moderator thinks it is okay to tell someone, "You arguing with me about this ban going to make it longer" I feel this is inappropriate and unprofessional

NOTE to anyone who is banned, feel free to PM me and even discuss it in a reasonably respectful way. If you argue, I will not make your ban longer, nor if you apologize will I shorten your ban. Your actions will only change my perception about you as a human being, which I consider to be of greater importance than your warning level and past history. Even though I am trying to be a "nice guy" I am only human too and will make mistakes from time to time. I ask that you please forgive and forget. Also realize that my perception of you defined by your attitude although unwritten will likely play into my decision making as to wheather I take action against you.

Obviously, someone who makes a mistake and says: "I made a mistake ; I will not do it again" I am going to respect more and cut more slack in future transgressions. There are times when I see rules are broken and just turn a blind eye in non-serious offenses. For instance, I am not going to single-out a double-poster or complain about a large signature that is a line or two longer than the rule (Which is not specific). Though I will hammer-down someone who continuously turns out multiple-posts hampering the effective communication of this forum or a signature that is unreasonably obtrusive.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, something to add, or shouts of derision, please post them. I am always open to new ideas even those in which I do not agree.

"I am Sorry" Stinks. I do not care to read a thoughtless "I Am Sorry"

What I like is:
"I understand that what I did is not acceptable; I will not do it again"

Last edited by Guest on 28 Nov 2007 09:26:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 06:07:44 pm    Post subject:

This was such a concise statement of NETWizz's beliefs (and, I think, the beliefs of most of UTI) that I had to make this post saying how much I agreed to it. And no, I am not doing this just to suck up. Rolling Eyes

...To repeat, I try to be a nice guy whenever possible. I will "take your word," "stand up for you," and "give you the benefit of the doubt." Only when there is supporting evidence that convinces me beyond any reasonable doubt that someone has acted in a malevolent manner will I take action to ban et cetera.

Reacting to imagined hostility will only lead to pain on all sides. Some of us may be a little sharp at times, but I don't think anyone on this forum hates (or even dislikes) anyone else on this forum at all.

...I do not like the idea of having a moderator or administrator ban someone and tell them something along the lines of: "We will let you know when you can come back, but we are not going to tell you when that will be until we feel the urge to inform you"

A reprimand like a ban should be as impersonal as possible. If I'm having a bad day, I'm not going to extend your ban. Not even subconsciously. Rather, I'm going to lay the terms down on the table to start with.

It disgusts me when someone says or implies: "What you need to do is apologize to me, then I will let you know if I accept your apology and let you back in. I expect you to beg me and tell me how sorry and wrong you are."

A forced apology is never heartfelt, especially not on the internet. While an admin has the power to do this if s/he wishes, it shows extreme pettiness and also shows what a cyber-dictator that admin is. If you don't want to apologize, that's your choice. Not mine.

Yet amazingly, I respect a sincere apology. If I ban someone, I will never ask for an apology. It is just business to me. I am not really actually angry with the person or people whom I ban.

The keyword here is the word sincere. If you really mean it, you'll try your best to avoid doing it again.

I dislike it when someone who is banned writes nasty PMs and takes personal offense and wants to argue about it. I am not interested in arguing about it

Flame me all you like. You joined the forum on the forum's terms, terms that were only set for the protection of the other good members of this forum. I don't ban you because I'm a power-hungry jerk who rules with an iron fist, I ban you because you are NOT contributing, and are tearing down what we have built up.

I dislike it when an admin or moderator thinks it is okay to tell someone, "You arguing with me about this ban going to make it longer" I feel this is inappropriate and unprofessional

I'm very glad none of the Mods/Staff of UTI ever abuse their power. I've never seen that happen, and I don't think it ever will happen with the wonderful people we have running this place.

NOTE to anyone who is banned, feel free to PM me and even discuss it in a reasonably respectful way. If you argue, I will not make your ban longer, nor if you apologize will I shorten your ban. Your actions will only change my perception about you as a human being, which I consider to be of greater importance than your warning level and past history. Even though I am trying to be a "nice guy" I am only human too and will make mistakes from time to time. I ask that you please forgive and forget. Also realize that my perception of you defined by your attitude although unwritten will likely play into my decision making as to whether I take action against you.

We'll welcome anyone back, and try not to dredge up ancient history (try to let off on the Arcane-bashing, 'kay?). If you pull a repeat performance, then we probably will too.

Obviously, someone who makes a mistake and says: "I made a mistake ; I will not do it again" I am going to respect more and cut more slack in future transgressions. There are times when I see rules are broken and just turn a blind eye in non-serious offenses. For instance, I am not going to single-out a double-poster or complain about a large signature that is a line or two longer than the rule (Which is not specific). Though I will hammer-down someone who continuously turns out multiple-posts hampering the effective communication of this forum or a signature that is unreasonably obtrusive.

I generally point out double-posting when I also have something else to say, so that it's not just worthless spam. If it's a newbie, then this is not meant as a reprimand, but is meant to inform you of the law of the land. I usually don't nitpick.

..."I am Sorry" Stinks. I do not care to read a thoughtless "I Am Sorry"

What I like is:
"I understand that what I did is not acceptable; I will not do it again"

Once again, SINCERITY is what counts. In a forum, where the only conception anyone has of you is what you write here, you have to be especially careful.

Just follow UTI Rule #11 and everything should be fine.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement