This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
angel14995

Posted: 05 Nov 2007 06:07:03 am    Post subject:

Yeah, Metroid Pi was good, so a sequel would bee sw33t! Just keep it up. Hopefully we'll all remember by the time it comes out what we were waiting for.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2007 09:28:26 pm    Post subject:

Lolz. Due to the recent release of Metroid II: Evolution's expansion pack, I have been focusing on this. I've decided to completely rewrite the map system, as it runs a little slow, and I'm throwing a couple more programmer-oriented niceties into the mix.

In short; I'm working on it.

EDIT: I forgot. I figured out the save system as well Smile. I'll copy all the subroutines to temporary programs when you start, SMC the temp programs when you get a powerup or something, and writeback to the original subroutines when you save. It's simpler than what I had anticipated, and works just like Metroid Pi Very Happy.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Nov 2007 09:30:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 08:11:36 pm    Post subject:

Still working on world one maps. Due to the amount, the completion percentage hasn't been going anywhere.

Be prepared; there will be a LOT of subprograms. Put it this way: 16 map databases for each world. 3 worlds. 16*3+[other subroutines].

I could compress each world into 3 programs, but that would mean slower loading times, plus me having to rewrite the entire map system (again).

But I need feedback. As for the loading type...post your choice! (The description, not the number):

1. Loading like Metroid Pi and Zoith. Slow, but hides discrepancies such as trick walls (making for better gameplay, IMO)
  2. Draw Layer 1 completely, StorePic, draw layer 2 completely, RecallPic. Fast, but doesn't hide discrepancies.

And note if you want a line that "scans and renders" the new environment; it'd be slightly slower, but cooler-looking.

Screenies upon request. (I'm kind of homework-buried right now)
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 07:48:52 am    Post subject:

I've started this from scratch (again), and I must say that my rewritten movement engine is a lot faster than before. Worlds have been shrunken a bit, and I'm currently working on shooting and the first powerup.

Screenies when I have more time!
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 10:20:59 am    Post subject:

Nice, I had no idea this was still being worked on.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Mar 2008 04:16:09 pm    Post subject:

It is. :)

Screenies as soon as I implement the object interaction system and the first powerup.
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posted: 19 Mar 2008 07:49:04 pm    Post subject:

I just came up with a burst of insight! You may or may not like it, but you could consider this. I have a small assembly program (~29 bytes) that magicdanw wrote for me that takes what is currently on the homescreen and pastes it to the graph screen. In order to do the dual layer (and with this method possibly even triple layered) ascii, you would do this:

Code:
:Output(1,1,Str1
:Asm(prgmZSCR
:StorePic 1
:Output(1,1,Str2
:Asm(prgmZSCR
:RecallPic 1

Where StrX is the Xth layer of ascii. Here is the code for ZSCR:

Code:
:AsmPrgm
:214093EF7B4CFDCB
:0386EF6A48C9

It runs fairly quickly on my calculator, but you can test it out and see for yourself.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Mar 2008 07:06:53 am    Post subject:

The problem with that is, I'd have to add whitespace to buffer the extra 4 slots (for the HUD) into the strings, which would add 8*4*2 bytes per map. That is, I'd have to do that to make any significant speed change.

I'll look into it.

Currently working on the object interaction system.
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posted: 20 Mar 2008 01:17:05 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I expected that it wouldn't be quite right for what you wanted to do. I was just an idea.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Mar 2008 01:17:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 May 2008 10:24:21 pm    Post subject:

This is like the 3rd rewrite I've done. Yeah I know, it's taking a while just to get started.

I've decided to make it 84+ exclusive, because it's probably too slow on the 83+ (except for the SE) anyways. I'm sorry to all of those without an 84+. I'm using some of the time features in the 84+...I'll try and see if I can make a 83+ version when I'm finished (whenever the heck that is).

But, I'm giving it a spiffy title screen and other stuff. Just so you guys know how epic [s]this will be[/s] I'm trying to make this.

Yeah, I showed you the first screen of the storyline. I won't make it as long as it was in Metroid Pi, and you'll probably notice it's faster than it was before. That's how I'm trying to make everything. Very Happy
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 May 2008 11:44:33 am    Post subject:

ouch now I no longer have a SE that works Sad. but it wouldn't matter if it used time functions as they aren't on the 83+SE, but it looks awesome, I am glad you didn't stopped working on this. I will be sure to play it on emulator or when I get a 84+ one day
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 May 2008 02:59:07 pm    Post subject:

Sorry XD. I just randomly decided one day to add how much time is spent on each file.

I will remove all the time functions after I finish to make an 83+ version Wink.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 May 2008 06:48:00 pm    Post subject:

thats cool, how much slower or faster this game runs compared to Metroid II: The Last Chozo Expansion Set/Evolution btw? Also will the controls be similar? If the controls are similar, this should be easy to play on emulator. In fact I could beat the secret hard boss from Expansion Set in 5 minutes in normal mode on emulator.

As for game lenght do you have an estimate how long it will be approximately? Metroid II takes 3 hours if you know all the secrets, but it has 300+ maps to explor

(click for larger view)

Note that this map is from Evolution, it doesn't include the Expansion maps

Last edited by Guest on 04 May 2008 06:55:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 May 2008 07:40:02 pm    Post subject:

First world has boundaries of 8*12, but there's going to be (at least) 3 worlds. That's easily changeable though.

In terms of speed, I'm going to try and make it fast to the point of making it difficult because of speed. Obviously I'm probably not going to make that, but it will be faster that Metroid Pi.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 May 2008 08:00:24 pm    Post subject:

nice that will be cool. Being faster than Metroid Pi means to me that it will actually be enjoyable on a 83+ then though :)

I think we have much different standards in what is considered fast or not x.x. Heck, some PC users finds a game enjoyable at 12 fps and some others will find the same game too slow under 30 fps

To me a calc game, especially an action one or one where i have a character that moves around, needs to run at least at 1.5 fps so I can enjoy it on a 83+, and this was approximately the speed at which Metroid Pi 1 ran on my calc. However, at slower speed I generally use a SE instead

Last edited by Guest on 04 May 2008 08:02:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2008 08:21:45 pm    Post subject:

Yesterday, I went on a complete geek run and worked on this for about 4 hours total. Obviously I made a ton of progress, but most importantly, I got the engine and framework done. So at this point, all I have to do from now is make maps, program bosses, generate cinematics..etc.

Enemies, powerups, doors, maps, and save/recharge stations are all done. Enemies can actually drop powerups too, but I didn't fix this until after I took the screenshots. They drop +10hp, +20hp, and +30hp, depending on how many energy tanks you have. They also can drop +5 missiles.

A couple screenies to keep you [s]drooling[/s] updated (clicking the link will take you to a full-size image, if trying to read the resized text gives you a headache). :D

The first screenshot...well...um....yeah. The second screenshot is the room I failed to get into in the first screenshot XD. That funny-looking door is a missile door Very Happy.
El Jaque

Posted: 12 May 2008 05:33:30 am    Post subject:

looks great!
i haven't played metroid pi yet, but it looks great, and i cant wait for this one to get out! keep up the good work!
just wondering if you r using xLib or what... the graphics are sweet!
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2008 06:54:22 am    Post subject:

Metroid Pi...well, admittedly, is too short and too slow (for me anyways). It is still fun if you can put up with that stuff though. This is my attempt to fix that >_<

No, no xLIB. If I were, the graphics would be a lot better though Very Happy.
El Jaque

Posted: 12 May 2008 11:46:41 am    Post subject:

thats impressive... how much memory do these prgms take? i will be doaloading them as soon as i recover my calc cable... Razz
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2008 03:54:31 pm    Post subject:

Memory?....well, not much more than they are now. In terms of RAM, probably around 15000-17000 bytes at any given time. In terms of archive...a lot. I don't even know if it will fit on a regular 83+...we'll see >_<.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement