This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Strages

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 01:47:31 am    Post subject:

Hello,

This is my first post (as should be obvious) here. I found this site through google and it seems to be the place to come for my Calculator issues. I have a TI-89 Titanium, one that I've had for about 2 years now. I really like it as it does everything that I need.

The other day, unfortunately, I had a program error and ended up having to erase everything, so all my Flash apps were lost. Unfortunately, a flash app that I use for statistics was lost in the process. I would like to upgrade the firmware and install the missing flash apps using TI Connect, but for some reason I'm not getting any connection.
I have two different USB A to mini USB B cables (the type that is need for the calculator) and they both don't seem to work. I'm not sure if either one of them actually came with the calculator, since it's been a while and the cables have gotten assimilated into my overall collection.
Anyhow, both of these cables "work" with the calculator and computer, but a connection can't be resolved. TI Connect doesn't find anything. I'm not sure if a special USB cable is required or not for this functionality. I've tried wiggling the cable to see if that works, I've replaced the batteries, and I've turned the calculator on and off several times with the cable connected and while it's disconnected. I'm somewhat confused as I think it should be working but it's not. I'm not doing anything on the calculator, I'm just turning it on to the apps screen and plugging the cable in. I don't get any kind of error other than that TI Connect can't find a device. I know the computer's USB port works fine because I've plugged flash drives and what not into it to make sure that's not the issue.
If anyone has any ideas or if I'm doing something incorrectly/need a specific cable (the ones I have are probably generics), please let me know. Thanks!
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 08:04:55 am    Post subject:

I would try to [s]change the batteries and [/s]restart your computer. never mind, you already tried that
I think the problem is your calc's USB port. Or you have the incorrect cable. The "official" one should be one continuous cable (no little bumps or inserts in the cable) and maybe black. If you have a friend with a calc(ti89 or 84+(SE)), I would try connecting it.

Good luck and welcome to UnitedTI!
Strages

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 11:54:43 am    Post subject:

luby wrote:
I think the problem is your calc's USB port.  Or you have the incorrect cable.
[post="116796"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So, there is a specific cable that needs to be used? I have one that has an insert next to the mini USB-B port and another that is one continuous cable (both are black). Neither cable worked. I did use an I/O cable to try to move the apps over from a classmates TI-89, but I didn't know how to do that at the time, so I wasn't able to get the apps.
So does a "problem with your calc's USB port" generally mean that opening it up and soldering it is the only way to get it to work, or at least the only option I really have?
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 03 Dec 2007 06:09:31 pm    Post subject:

Do you have a Silverlink? If so, does it work? Does TI-Connect work on other computers? Have you tried resetting your 89 (2nd+Left+Right+On)? I've never heard of a 89's USB port ever having problems (if it were an I/O port, that would be a different matter Dry).

TI-Connect seems to randomly have problems with certain cables/computers. There's not much you can do about it. If TI-Connect doesn't work, you could use TiLP, though that sometimes has installation errors.
tigerhockey30

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 03:05:27 pm    Post subject:

I have a ti-89 and my computer won't even realize that i connected my ti-89. I've uninstalled and re-installed ti-connect many times. Its not it can not find the driver, it just doesn't even see it. I looked in the device manager, and can not find it anywhere. My os is 3.0 but i can't upgrade it until i can hook my calc to my computer.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 10:51:47 pm    Post subject:

are you using vista 64 bit like one of the other guys w/ connection problems?

welcome to UTI btw.

TI should seriously update TiConnect again.

worst comes to worst, try TiLP. if you're really desperate, dual boot a 32 bit OS. Like university discount/free OS or linux distros.
tigerhockey30

Posted: 02 Oct 2008 09:27:37 pm    Post subject:

no im using xp 32-bit. I fixed it though. What I did was i reset the calculator while it was plugged in to the computer. the device manger then recognized it, and I could backup everything. Then i unplugged it and plugged it in again. I had to reset it again, so I thought i had to reset it while it was plugged in every time. But then I noticed my os wan't upgraded to the newest version, so I upgraded and all problems solved. I do have a laptop with vista 64-bit ultimate, but i just used vmware and connected it that way. i don't know why my computer didn't recognize the calc at all. Just weird.
Madskillz

Posted: 02 Oct 2008 10:08:06 pm    Post subject:

One thing I have found out with my ti-89T was that you need to really push the usb cable in on that thing. I would check that above and beyond anything else before I start to worry. That is my most common issue when I cant get my pc to recognize the device, the usb cord seems to go in, but it might need just a little more push to make it work.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 02 Oct 2008 11:14:05 pm    Post subject:

Madskillz wrote:
One thing I have found out with my ti-89T was that you need to really push the usb cable in on that thing. I would check that above and beyond anything else before I start to worry. That is my most common issue when I cant get my pc to recognize the device, the usb cord seems to go in, but it might need just a little more push to make it work.
[post="127520"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, it's the same thing with 84 calcs. The connection with the USB cable sucks. I suggest getting a SilverLink if you can.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 10:47:39 pm    Post subject:

i've found the silverlinks can also have problems. I'd say, just blow out the dust every so often or before you plug in the cable.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 10:50:41 pm    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
i've found the silverlinks can also have problems.  I'd say, just blow out the dust every so often or before you plug in the cable.
[post="127605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Really? I have never had any issues with a SilverLink cable.
zachattack

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 10:05:56 am    Post subject:

I've been having the same problem. Though it only started after I updated to OS 3.00. It worked under whatever its old one was, then I updated to OS 3.00 and now when I connect it, it says

"USB Device Not Recognized
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem click this message."

Then if you click it, it opens up the USB device and says Unknown Device in bold.
I've tried reinstalling TI Connect and deleting the USB drivers out of system32/drivers and reinstalling them with TI Connect, rebooting my computer, plugging into different USB ports, resetting the calculator while its plugged in, taking out the batteries and putting them back in.

I was thinking it was that the drivers aren't getting installed or something.

I have also tried following the USB Connectivity Fix in the FAQ on TI's website, but when it comes to the part with the list to select the TI USB device, the only thing to select is Unknown Device as the driver for it. Please Help.

And my computer OS is windows media center/xp 32 bit

Last edited by Guest on 06 Oct 2008 10:13:07 am; edited 1 time in total
zachattack

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 09:55:37 pm    Post subject:

I have also tried TiLP and it gives me the exact same problem, so maybe the drivers won't recognize the calculator because it has OS 3.00? In which case how do I fix it?
teqa

Posted: 23 Oct 2008 12:24:27 pm    Post subject:

This is solving of this problem (directly from TI):

TI-89, TI-89 Titanium and Voyage 200.

Computer-Calculator
To transfer an Operating system from your computer, you need a USB/Graph Link cable and the program TI-Connect. You can download the latest version of TI-Connect from this link: http://education.ti.com/us/product/accesso...n/download.html

If you have a USB cable please make sure that it is not connected to your computer during the installation of TI-Connect.

Download the latest OS from our webpage:

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/do...abId=1&paneId=4

The calculator has to show the message "Waiting to receive.........please install software now". If the message disappears can you provoke it again by taking out one battery and put it back again while holding the APPS-key. The message will change to "Press I to install....". Press I without pressing [alpha] and you will have the message "Waiting to receive.........please install software now" again.
you can repeat this procedure as many times as needed.

Select on your computer START / PROGRAMS / TI-TOOLS / TI-Connect / TI-OS-Down loader.

Follow the instructions in TI-OS Down loader until you have the message "Start Download".
Make sure that the calculator show "Waiting to receive.........please install software now" and press "Start Download" as soon as possible.

Calculator – Calculator.
If this doesn't work there could be an issue with your connection. Then you have the alternative to transfer the operating system from another calculator. It has to be exactly the same calculator.
Connect the calculators with the unit to unit cable.
Press [2nd] [VAR-LINK] [F3] on the sending calculator.
Use the arrow Keyes to scroll down to "Send OS" and make sure that "Send OS" is marked in black.
Make sure that the calculator still shows "Waiting to receive.........please install software now" . If not -please repeat the procedure with the battery mentioned above.
Press ENTER on the sending calculator.
slawit1

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 10:18:50 am    Post subject:

Hi...
J've just bought new Ti-89 Titanium. I tried to connect it to computer by USB and I had the same problems as most of you (Windows XP)
After an hour I know how to solve this problem.
You must reinstall manualy USB driver for TI-89 and choose driver called "Ti Educational Handheld Device". Driver called "TI-89 Titanium USB Device" doesn't work. After operation my TI Connect v1.6 - found USB connection - everything seems to be OK. I'm able to communicate with Ti-89 by USB.

I hope - you can understand my English

Last edited by Guest on 15 Feb 2009 10:20:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Dh258

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 12:07:01 pm    Post subject:

slawit1 wrote:
Hi...
J've just bought new Ti-89 Titanium. I tried to connect it to computer by USB and I had the same problems as most of you (Windows XP)
After an hour I know how to solve this problem.
You must reinstall manualy USB driver for TI-89 and choose driver called "Ti Educational Handheld Device". Driver called "TI-89 Titanium USB Device" doesn't work. After operation my TI Connect v1.6 - found USB connection - everything seems to be OK. I'm able to communicate with Ti-89 by USB.

I hope - you can understand my English

THANKS A BUNCH! This works, I just uninstalled my Ti-89 Driver, then you do advanced, then pick one yourself. The Ti Education one is the one you want.
nancybobancy

Posted: 22 Sep 2009 10:51:54 pm    Post subject:

zachattack wrote:
I've been having the same problem. Though it only started after I updated to OS 3.00. It worked under whatever its old one was, then I updated to OS 3.00 and now when I connect it, it says

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem click this message."

Then if you click it, it opens up the USB device and says Unknown Device in bold.
I've tried reinstalling TI Connect and deleting the USB drivers out of system32/drivers and reinstalling them with TI Connect, rebooting my computer, plugging into different USB ports, resetting the calculator while its plugged in, taking out the batteries and putting them back in.

I have also tried following the USB Connectivity Fix in the FAQ on TI's website, but when it comes to the part with the list to select the TI USB device, the only thing to select is Unknown Device as the driver for it. Please Help.

I have the exact same problem. I did use TI Connect, and then uninstalled it completely, so now I'm using TiLP 2.
Brasshopper

Posted: 09 Jun 2010 05:20:34 pm    Post subject:

nancybobancy wrote:

zachattack wrote:

I have the exact same problem. I did use TI Connect, and then uninstalled it completely, so now I'm using TiLP 2.

I encountered this problem when I upgraded the calculator O/S to 3.0. It was recognized, for some reason I decided to upgrade to 3.0. Then it was not recognized anymore. I found someone who suggested doing a full memory reset. I didn't have that much in memory, just one program where I try to figure out the lowest and highest fractions that are close to pi. (When I was a 7th grader, I did not remember that pi was 3.14159ish, but I remembered that it was between 3 1/7th and some other fraction. This, plus something I was called called the "Russian sweep method" allowed me to test way above my grade level because I was able to work out things like the formula for the area of a circle while I was taking some standardized tests. I could remember 3 1/7th but I can't remember the other one so I wrote a little program to calculate it, and that was about all I was losing.)

Anyway, that was a lot of years ago. My calculator would not be recognized by my computer. It is working again, and I believe that what fixed it was installing 3.10.

OK, as far as I can tell, the problem is TI OS 3.00 and the fix is 3.10. That is, this didn't happen until I upgraded my calculator to OS 3.0, and it happened a lot until I upgraded until 3.10. Once I upgraded to 3.10, it never happened ever again. The question, as far as I can tell, is, "If you have installed 3.00, how do you install 3.10 if you can't get the computer to recognize your calculator on USB?

There are a couple of ways. One is to find someone with another calculator who has found 3.10. The calculators recognize each other, and they can transfer the upgraded OS to each other. If you search the web you can find instructions.

The second possibility is that it does not always happen. Sometimes, after a reset, the USB connection will make.

There are two ways to get a reset to happen that I know of.

One is to clear all memory. Sure hope you have a backup, but you will need a backup if you are about to upgrade OS. I cleared all memory and it worked once. But the instructions said, "pull a battery out at this point and then put it back." I did that - and whoops! The calculator was no longer recognized by the computer.

The second possibility is to do the reset key sequence, which is a lot faster. My computer makes a sound when a USB device gets connected.

So I plugged it in, and it was not recognized, as usual. I think I used left, right, shift, on. I tapped the sequence about 4 times in a row and I got the beep-boop that indicated that a USB device was connected. Huzzah! At that point, I started TI-Explorer and it offered to upgrade the OS, and I accepted the offer - and I didn't stop and disconnect a battery when it said to.

Now once before, I tried doing this, and there is a point where you are told to disconnect a battery and reconnect it. DO NOT DO THIS! It won't reconnect until you reset a bunch, once I got it connected by doing full memory resets and I was silly enough to disconnect a battery and I could not get it connected again. If you want to, disconnect the battery and connect it before you do the resets, but once you are going through the process of upgrading it, just ignore the instructions and continue. You might want to refresh the batteries before you start resetting if you have any doubts of them completing the upgrade process.

Now that I am upgraded to 3.10 from 3.0, I have never had the computer fail to recognize that I have plugged the calculator into USB, ever again.

Summary: It is possible that the computer will recognize the calculator after you reset the calculator. If it recognizes the calculator once, it might not ever recognize it again, so once it is recognized, be prepared to upgrade to 3.10.

As far as I can tell, any reset is equally likely to cause the calculator to be recognized. Full memory reset, or shift-left-right-on. Once recognized, pursue upgrading the calculator to 3.10 as quickly as possible.

I really like 3.10, mostly because I feel that the SMG application works much more nicely than the one supplied with the computer. It had to be reinstalled.

I saw a lot of people complaining about this problem on various forums, and few were reporting how to fix it, and when they did, they didn't seem to have the whole picture. Unless people are having this problem with 3.10 sometimes, I think I understand it. Good luck.
kevin3537netnet

Posted: 06 Sep 2010 05:37:05 pm    Post subject:

Hi...
I am first time poster. Wanted to just thank everyone for this topic. I could not get my TI89 titanium to sync. Drove me nuts. My nspire and and ti84plus silver synced no problem. As outlined Os 3.0 to 3.1 was the problem. I did the key reset sequence while connected as one member described and boom, worked like a charm. Now that it is upgraded, no problems. Once again, thanks.
Xeda112358

Posted: 07 Sep 2010 09:45:06 pm    Post subject:

Wow, lots of newcomers! Hi all, welcome to UTI Very Happy . Whenever I have this problem with my 89 titanium or 84+SE, I typically find that shutting down the computer helps (after a while).

Last edited by Guest on 22 Feb 2011 11:47:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement