This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Loggik

Posted: 22 Feb 2011 10:52:40 am    Post subject:

I recently purchased the TI-89 Titanium (an orgasmic calculator if I say so myself!). I then downloaded TI Connect 1.6.1, and went to upgrade the calculator's OS. It was already on 3.10, but I wanted to uninstall all of the pre-loaded crap, and I find re-install the OS is the easiest way to do that.

Anyway, so I opened TI Connect 1.6.1 and went to the OS Downloader, and assuming it already had the 3.10 OS downloaded with it, I sent the OS to the calculator. Big mistake! It sent 3.0 to my calc, and when it finished installing, I couldn't connect it to my computer.

I did try the reset key combo, and it worked once, but then I messed something up so I had to unplug and replug it in, and then it gave me the error message again. I tried the key combo over 50 times after that to no avail.
Then, I found a great FAQ on the TI website. It explains how to force the calculator into Boot Mode, or the mode that the calculator is put it to download the OS. This mode uses a different protocol to talk to the computer, so it doesn't interface with the 3.0 OS which has the protocol issue. To force your calculator into Boot Mode:

1. Take out one of the AAA batteries.
2. Press and hold the APPS button.
3. Replace the AAA battery while holding the APPS button.
4. Wait for the calculator to turn on into Boot Mode. Do not press the On button. Inserting the battery while holding the APPS button will automatically turn it on.

Here's a link to the FAQ page: Correcting the Error Message "TI-83 Plus or TI-89 detected, but could not get status".
big T

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 03:33:38 am    Post subject:

I am having the same problem of my computer not detecting my TI-89, but i have a mac computer, so many of the thing being suggested wont work on my computer, ie. whenever anything says click start, programs, ... etc.. I have tried reseting it, taking out the batteries, taking out the batteries while connected, taking out the batteries and putting them back in while holding the APPS button, but nothing is working. the message "A device was detected, but we could not communicate with it for some reason." keeps popping up. i have also tried uninstalling the software and installing the software several times as well as using a different computer. Any suggestions or ideas?
Thank you!
Xeda112358

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 09:06:08 am    Post subject:

I don't know much about fixing these problems, but I am curious about what types of batteries you are using? (rechargeable, voltage, things like that if you can find it) Smile
big T

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 02:26:24 pm    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

I don't know much about fixing these problems, but I am curious about what types of batteries you are using? (rechargeable, voltage, things like that if you can find it) Smile

I am using 4 duracel non rechargeable AAA batteries. 1.5 v. in my calculator.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Sep 2011 02:38:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xeda112358

Posted: 28 Sep 2011 02:58:52 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, then the potential problem I was thinking of isn't it (I use rechargeable AAA 1.2v batteries, but 4 of them make only 4.8 volts-- not quite enough for a happy USB connection all the time). I've no idea how to help then :/ I just wait for a little while and eventually it starts working for me again (then again, I don't have a Mac :/ )
tiboyz

Posted: 14 Mar 2012 03:07:11 am    Post subject:

Please let me advertise a website allowing to buy compatible USB cables for ti 89 titanium (ti 84 plus and ti n-spire) :
http://http://ticable.legtux.org/index_en.php
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement