This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Chasney913

Posted: 22 Feb 2008 07:46:04 pm    Post subject:

I'd like some pointers on the following question:

Given that y=(x-r)²+(x-s)²
Prove that this equation is at its minimum (i.e. vertex) when x=(r+s)/2

First I tried substituting for x, and came out with something like y=(r-s)(s-r), so I wasn't really sure if that was right. It didn't seem to be.

Then I rearranged the equation into transformational form, without substituting, and came up with the following:

.5(y-.5r²+sr-.5s²)=x-((r+s)/2)

Now, I can see that that transformations are evident.

The generic form is:
1/a(y-k)=(x-q) where a is the vertical stretch, k is the vertical translation, and q is the horizontal translation.

So, the vertex is given by (q,k), and I can see that k does equal (r+s)/2. However, I'm not sure if this constitutes a proof.

Thanks in advance.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2008 09:12:38 pm    Post subject:

You have what seems to be a valid proof. You could also observe that the transformation that maps x to r+s-x, which is a reflection about the line x=(r+s)/2, doesn't change the equation: ((r+s-x)-r)²+((r+s-x)-s)²=(x-r)²+(x-s)². Since the reflection doesn't change the graph, the vertex must actually be on the line x=(r+s)/2.

You could also use calculus, set y'=0, and get 2(x-r)+2(x-s)=0, which comes out to x=(r+s)/2.
stranger

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 06:44:42 pm    Post subject:

Solve both equations for a variable, then substitute. From there, I cannot help you. Dry Darkerline, can you use some simpler words, we aren't all in collegiate calculus. Cool
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 07:08:49 pm    Post subject:

stranger wrote:
Solve both equations for a variable, then substitute. From there, I cannot help you.  Dry Darkerline, can you use some simpler words, we aren't all in collegiate calculus. Cool
[post="120869"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
You should be happy I'm not using any category theory vocabulary.
Chasney913

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 07:56:41 pm    Post subject:

That's okay.

Apparently, my solution is the correct one, so I am pleased.
I really can't use the calculus part, primarily because I don't know it, and also because we haven't been taught it yet, so I really shouldn't know it anyways.

Thanks for confirming that my solution constitutes a proof. I'm kind of new to that aspect of math.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Feb 2008 08:01:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement