This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-Freak8x subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Pokemon Purple => TI-Freak8x
United-TI Archives -> Pokemon Purple

» Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicBoom95

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 04:10:25 pm    Post subject:

First, I'd like to say I am ridiculously, amazingly excited about this project and where it's going. Now, that said, I am wondering about creating an EXACT port. I mean, if you're even considering downloading this, you've already played Red/Blue/Yellow, right? So why an exact port? Subtle changes, easter eggs, new items, anything.

Those were my thoughts. Feel free to flame.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 05:04:03 pm    Post subject:

IIRC it is not an exact port. Of course the entire game is the same, except for some difference. Tell me if I am wrong (tifreak) but IIRC all 151 pokemons are avaliable into one game, which is purple, instead of being spread between two versions of the game. However it could be just that when game starts you select Blue/Red in a menu.

Also another difference is that the shitty english translation (a problem in lot of japaneese games, especially RPGs) is being fixed. Some sentences that didn't made any sense are being replaced, or some dialogue extended/added.

Also Nitacku has been added as replacement to Pikachu (Just Joking)
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 05:36:07 pm    Post subject:

if someone was bored enough they could technically take the code from the real game because the cpu's are similar enough(z80 sharp8080) and just remove the sound and change the graphics to make it work. but the game then would still be huge taking up most if not all of the calcs archive.( rom is 1.5mb which is exactly how much space the se calcs have)
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 07:44:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks SonicBoom95! :)

My first thought into this game was to make it so one played through one version, then the other. Then I realized how difficult that would be, and changed that idea to both versions are essentially there, you choose which one to play through. At the end of one, you can get Mewtwo, and at the end of the other, you can get Mew. Thought it would add a little bit to replay value and such. Trading will be available, etc. Not sure about linked battles, yet, will have to see what kind of link program I can find or get made specifically for this.

Also, there are a few modifications that I am doing for this:

1) No more stupid text in the pokedex. It was a huge waste of space

2) Organized item system, similar to the newest versions of pokemon

3) Stupid dialogues will be edited to be a lil more realistic, or changed all together

Hopefully I can get a new beta out to you guys in the next month or so...

Last edited by Guest on 10 Apr 2008 07:49:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 08:40:21 pm    Post subject:

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
[post="122346"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

haaii!!
If I can't be a secret easter egg, maybe I could be could be a character instead... Wink
Maybe we all could be characters. Don't worry DJ, you'll be the secret boss at the end.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 08:46:47 pm    Post subject:

Maybe an easter eggroll (altough only people from #omnimaga would get what I mean)
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 09:21:56 pm    Post subject:

nitacku wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

haaii!!
If I can't be a secret easter egg, maybe I could be could be a character instead... Wink
Maybe we all could be characters. Don't worry DJ, you'll be the secret boss at the end.
[post="122359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

lol

well, keep up the good work tifreak!
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 05:38:30 am    Post subject:

Sorry TheStorm but it doesnt really work that way. The hardware is drastically different - so much so that such a feat would basically be impossible. That said, ripping the graphics and stuff (what tifreak has done) is of course possible and the best way to go about it imo!

Make a Ti-83+ pokemon! Smile.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 06:27:35 am    Post subject:

not sure but I expect Purple to take around 1 MB of archive memory, which is bigger than all my 23 calc RPGs together. In asm i think it could be possible though
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 06:49:04 am    Post subject:

What i meant was to rip the main engine code but yeah It would be close to impossible to do but still possible. and because of the screen differences not even the sprite data is that useful.
Taricorp

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 08:32:25 am    Post subject:

nitacku wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:

haaii!!
[post="122359"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Now I need to find a ROM and replace all instances of 'pikachu' with 'nitacku'.
*runs off to get a hex editor*
SonicBoom95

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 08:47:18 am    Post subject:

I really did think the "Nitacku" thing was hilarious, and one of the few times while browsing forums I have actually ROFLMAO'd.

However (feel free to flame me for this) I think the decision to have to choose between Blue/Red, while increasing replay value, is really cheap. That is one of the things I hated most about Red/Blue/Yellow (look it up). You had to buy another cartridge, play through the game AGAIN (with some subtle differences) and then finally start achieving a full Pokedex. Annoying, to say the least, and the reason why I never got a full Pokedex. (Mom: Why do you need another? Did you lose yours?)

While we're here, I was wondering how the scripted events would be handled (most notable is the first appearance of Prof. Oak).

EDIT: Spelling.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Apr 2008 08:47:45 am; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 09:47:56 am    Post subject:

Tr1p1ea: And I am only using the old games for NPC sprites. The pokemon sprites came from Leafgreen FireRed. :)

SonicBoom95: You have a valid point, yet this is all in one game, each with a rare pokemon at the end that can only be in one. ;)

As to the events... That will be complicated. I will have it look for special chars, and compare to list values. There are going to be spots where it slows a lil bit, but that cannot be helped. Heck, it does that in the original games anyways. Razz
SonicBoom95

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 11:48:18 am    Post subject:

Not that I've noticed (the slowing).
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 01:43:51 pm    Post subject:

I have noticed on certain things, it "hesitates", since it has to find the next bit of code to work with.

Anyways, can't be too picky, since this is in basic, not in the 8080 asm Smile
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 02:42:32 pm    Post subject:

True and it will probably outdo all existing calc RPGs in term of hours of gameplay (except maybe Illusiat 12)
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 03:41:02 pm    Post subject:

Just to clarify for future reference the z80 was based on the Intel 8080 and is binnary compatible with it plus it and a few extra registers and op-codes. the sharp 8080 is based on the z80 but has some slight differences and may support some commands that the z80 doesn't and the z80 might have some the sharp 8080 doesn't.
wikipedia z80 page wrote:
Nintendo's Game Boy and Game Boy Color handheld game systems used a Z80 with a slightly different instruction set (the index registers and alternate register set are missing, but auto-increment/decrement addressing modes have been added), manufactured by Sharp
SonicBoom95

Posted: 15 Apr 2008 11:58:13 am    Post subject:

Okay. Back to the scripted events. While I realize it wouldn't be amazingly hard to trigger these events, I have to wonder how we'll handle, say, the forced march to Oak's lab (dang, now I have that music stuck in my head again...Dum dum dum dum dum...). Anyway, we COULD cheat and hardcode it. Just put in Output()s up the Wazoo and the problem is solved. But somehow I don't like that...

Those were my thoughts. The policy about flaming still applies.

EDIT: Changed swearing.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Apr 2008 11:58:38 am; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 15 Apr 2008 01:05:07 pm    Post subject:

Well, that trigger will be like this: It will check that a user is in the grass then call a program to see if a value of a list is met. If it is not, run a program that will do that event. If it has, begin checking if this is a random encounter. Etc.

That is my plan, anyways..
SonicBoom95

Posted: 16 Apr 2008 08:43:44 am    Post subject:

Yeah, but you guys all remember the animation, right? Like your following Oak for about 8 seconds back to the lab. I'm wondering how to do THAT, if we do at all.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement