This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Releases => Your Projects
mr. sir

Posted: 09 May 2008 10:13:33 am    Post subject:

File Name :: Password
Author :: mr. sir
Category :: Ti-83plus Basic Utilities
Screenshot :: [img]http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?act=downloads&do=imgss&id=334[/img]
Description ::
Well, if you want someone to not mess with your programs, or go and change them, then put this on your calculator, and put it as the first line of code. The password is "encrypted", so to speak, in the sense that the key presses are not stored as is.

When the program is first opened, the N that appears is the number of presses in the password. After entering that, press the keys wanted as the password and it locks the programs it is in. When opened again, it asks for the password. If the wrong key is entered, they must start all over from the beginning. If the wrong key is entered 5 times, they must start all over again, because a message "ERROR! AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED!" appears.

I hereby release this program and its code as free software, and may be remade, redistributed and even sold without quoting me as the maker. I do this because I know that it is my software, and just made it for fun. I hope it works for you as well. Do not get mad at me if it does not keep people out.

View File
Demon

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 04:41:31 pm    Post subject:

Krolypto's the best you can get for calc security and preventing people from messing with your calc (if you're allowed to use it in your country).

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/277/27719.html

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2008 11:22:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 09 May 2008 09:31:48 pm    Post subject:

I haven't downloaded it; what happens if you push [ON]? If you can BREAK out of it, there's not much of a point Neutral
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 May 2008 11:19:20 pm    Post subject:

I think the point is to not let the user run certain programs without entering a password. so the [On] button won't help. If you add this protection and lock the program, it could be a reasonably secure method for anyone who doesn't know too much about the calculator's dark secrets Razz
mr. sir

Posted: 10 May 2008 11:52:27 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that was mostly the point. I did not really know how to lock the program then, but I stuck it in the first line of the code, and my non-calc-savvy friends had no idea how to get into it. But I learned about the power of MirageOS, and how to edit-lock programs, so now they are more protected.

Another problem is that if they have a chance to look at the code before you lock it up, they will see that deleting the lists BOB and LAME will clear the password and will be able to make their own password. I don't know how to get around this, though. Any tips?

Last edited by Guest on 10 May 2008 11:57:56 am; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 May 2008 12:00:16 pm    Post subject:

It is possible to store data to "hacked" variables that don't normally show up in TI-OS menus. I forget the name of the program needed to do this, but it's somewhere on ticalc.org. Anyway, I don't think there are any of these special lists, but there are things like Strings and Matrices, so you could use those and just convert them to lists if necessary.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 10 May 2008 12:20:39 pm    Post subject:

It was my program, Xtravar Beta 1. It does have special lists.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 May 2008 12:36:32 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine has made a blog entry on creating passwords using the rand function.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2010 02:08:43 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 May 2008 12:38:15 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
DarkerLine has made a blog entry on creating passwords using the rand function.
[post="123479"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...that was actually somewhat prompted by seeing this program.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2010 02:08:55 am; edited 1 time in total
mr. sir

Posted: 10 May 2008 01:02:55 pm    Post subject:

I tried to use SetUpEditor on some lists in the xtravar Beta to create those lists, but it gave a syntax error. So I deleted the SetUpEditor line, and it gives an undefined message. How can I use SetUpEditor on them, and if they are already set up, how do I use these lists?

Edit: Okay, nvm. I tried to use a string as a list... Cool
Here is an updated version.

Last edited by Guest on 10 May 2008 01:33:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 May 2008 01:09:51 pm    Post subject:

To set up a list, I think you just need to set their size so something greater than zero:
Code:
3->dim(L1
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 May 2008 06:01:04 pm    Post subject:

Two of my calculator games were password protected since late 2007. Zelda: Dark Link Quest (TI-Connect compatible version) and Metroid II: The Last Chozo Expansion Set required you to enter a password the first time you ran the game. The password was located in the readme.txt file, right after the installation procedure.

My purpose in this was to stop users from flooding me with 10 emails per day reporting ERR:Archived or such errors caused by the game not being installed properly or completly, as to get the password they were forced to read through the readme until they find it

I even had the password code sample on ticalc.org until they deleted my profile. Harrierfalcon did something with similar purpose too IIRC but it was completly different

Last edited by Guest on 10 May 2008 06:02:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Jaque

Posted: 11 May 2008 01:30:30 am    Post subject:

does mr. sir's prgm prevent people from editing your prgms?
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 May 2008 03:06:27 am    Post subject:

nope, as even if it would, anyone who know how or have the right tools can re-open the program. There is no way to protect a basic program from being edited at 100%. Even if TI-Graph Link or CODEX didn't allowed so there would still be hackers out there who would find a way to bypass the protections
El Jaque

Posted: 11 May 2008 03:35:13 am    Post subject:

thats what i thought... oh well, doesnt really matter, they can have my prgm if they want... *sigh*
mr. sir

Posted: 14 May 2008 03:44:58 pm    Post subject:

Hey calc84maniac, how do you use the matrices in your program? Because I cannot find any way to define them, and when I try to use them, I get a message saying "Undefined!" I also believe that matrices would be more secure than lists, only because lists can be mass-erased.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 May 2008 05:06:14 pm    Post subject:

If your list is archived, it won't be cleared by ClrAllLists.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 14 May 2008 09:28:47 pm    Post subject:

mr. sir wrote:
Hey calc84maniac, how do you use the matrices in your program? Because I cannot find any way to define them, and when I try to use them, I get a message saying "Undefined!"  I also believe that matrices would be more secure than lists, only because lists can be mass-erased.
[post="123647"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You define them like any other matrix, by either storing to them or to their dimensions.
mr. sir

Posted: 15 May 2008 02:34:13 pm    Post subject:

Well, when I use matrices, I just go to the list and choose edit. The matrices in that program are not listed in the edit list.

How do you remotely change the dimensions, anyway?
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 May 2008 03:08:42 pm    Post subject:

{5,10->dim([A]

this will create matrix [A] with 5*10.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2010 02:08:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement