This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Jun 2008 09:54:59 pm    Post subject:

I like your interface and this title screen is neat Smile
El Jaque

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 05:33:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
This explains all of your not( problems. He meant to say to replace {variable}=0 with not({variable}.

oh yeah, that could explain a lot Smile

well, that second to last line of code is still acting weird, but otherwise things are looking good.
i think i have decided on pokemon style battles, so the interface will be changed a bit (i will probably take out the little box in the bottom left corner which was supposed to show the type of weapon you were weilding, aka melee right hand+left hand, melee 2handed, ranged or no weapon and have a panel on the right of the screen instead and put all of the stuff there. i'll put a screenshot up soon-ish :biggrin: )
i was looking through the dowloads section last night, and i stumbled upon Reign of Legends 3 (yay for omnimega!) i was really impressed with the mini map, i was wondering if you (or anybody that has any ideas) could give me a couple of pointers (we could continue through PMing if you want) however, besides looking cool Cool , i'm not sure what the point is, especially since you wont be seing ennimies moving around the screen. plus it would be really hard to implement seing as i'm using smooth scrolling. i'll think about it. maybe i should just stick with a world map. i also really like the game menu (i'll need a little help making menus too, lol i am such a n00b)!
hmm, what else... i think everything is looking good for the moment, i am now working on spritesheet and the map. speaking of the map, i really need help figuring out how to make snow or moving water, without really, really slowing down game speed. anyways, back to sprites, i think i am doing okay, i will probably end up posting my sprites and seeing if anybody has any imrovements to offer (by the way i am using 8x8). however, i will need help making sprites for battle sequences (i havent decided on sprites size for theese sections, but pretty big is a start! Very Happy ): ennemies, character (weilding different kinds of weapons: essentially swords, clubs, spears, axes, bows and crossbows) plus tips on animating, and finally some spell sprites/animation. i know its a lot, but i am just throwing it out there to see if anybody has anything to give me.

thanks!

EDIT: yay, i fixed that last line of code!!! thanks you delnar ersike, it works great, 300 bites cut off! (and maybe there COULD be a small tiny speed improvement if you look really, REALLY closely Very Happy )

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jun 2008 12:26:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 24 Jun 2008 01:57:54 pm    Post subject:

Glad to be of service (I also found out why the code wasn't working, though you beat me to it; I fixed my typo that calc84manaic found in my post as well). You can also learn a whole lot about optimizing BASIC code from this file, as there are probably some things I have missed.
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Jun 2008 07:32:46 pm    Post subject:

here is three enemys in 16*16 if you like them I can make more of that size or I can up size them and make more.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 08:19:59 am    Post subject:

those are pretty good Smile are the pointy ears on purpose?
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 09:26:33 am    Post subject:

Yes the pointed ears are on purpose.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 10:42:31 am    Post subject:

lordofthegeeks wrote:
[post="124870"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Looking at your avatar, it seems you're a fan of pointed ears. Smile
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 12:35:28 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
lordofthegeeks wrote:

[post="124871"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yes go vulcans,Elves,yoda,ect. Good Idea Good Idea Good Idea
MSR5

Posted: 28 Jun 2008 07:49:22 pm    Post subject:

lordofthegeeks wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
lordofthegeeks wrote:

[post="124871"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yes go vulcans,Elves,yoda,ect. Good Idea Good Idea Good Idea
[post="124873"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I pity you, a like for Vulcans? :confused: Elves? :confused: Yoda? :confused: It should be Romulans, Dark Elves, Evil Yoda clones, ect. (just joking, but really the dark side is far better, more powerful, and the best tool to use for universal domination.)
Really those sprites you made are really quite good (compaired to mine), however to make better ones you must forsaken yoda and with me rule the universe (after I implant computer chips into your head to make you my orbedient servant). :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jun 2008 07:53:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Jaque

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 03:06:08 am    Post subject:

@ lordofthegeeks
nice sprites, i really like the middle one!!! however, i think i have decided on something like 24x24 sprites. if you could size it up, i would be very grateul, or i can do it myself.
i you feel an urge to make more sprites Smile , i need some sort of an insect maybe, just a regular city guard (without pointed ears, lol), some sort of a gian rat, a giant/troll thing (maybe this sprite could be a little bigger), zombies, skelletons... in other words, anything you can come up with!!!
thanks again!
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 01:23:01 pm    Post subject:

@el jaque I can do that. it's easier to make 24*24 I just made them 16 by 16 because I wasnn't sure what size you wanted.

Edit:
here is the first three blown up to 24 by 24 with a rough draft of a cyclops a skelaton with a sword and a so/so city guard.

Edit #2 I made a rat and gave the a skelly a mace.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Jun 2008 06:50:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Jaque

Posted: 01 Jul 2008 11:00:13 am    Post subject:

THOSE ARE SWEET!!! i actually think that the city guard is pretty cool. he looks like one of those Mexican wrestlers.
i know i will sound really undecided here, but i was wondering if you sould only be able to be attacked by one ennemy at a time or if there could be multiple enemies in the same battle: if so, should i have you have to fight one ennemy at a time (like pokemon) or if you should be able to choose which enemy you attack (if so i would have to revert to 16*16, but i could scale down the new sprites if you dont want to. either way we wouldnt have to scale down until i make this decision)
thanks for the help, the sprites are great! maybe you could make a cool looking ghost (all of my attempts look like sheets with holes cut out, they ar really dumb, lol), spiders, maybe some sort of a demon or an imp.
thanks again!
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Jul 2008 02:29:17 pm    Post subject:

It should be choose which enemy to attack with multiple on the screen at a time. That way you need to decide which enemy to attack first.
El Jaque

Posted: 01 Jul 2008 03:13:00 pm    Post subject:

yeah, i think that would be best... im really sorry lordofthegeeks, but i think i need to switch back to 16*16. i'll reconvert if you want. thanks!
lordofthegeeks

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jul 2008 05:32:45 pm    Post subject:

I shall work on shrinking them.

plus make a ghost.

edit:
but I have just realized. I by accindent have made the sprites 22 by 22 not 24 by 24.

also if I may suggest the more powerful enemys perhaps they could attack by themselves? also weaker enemy sprites could be squeezed into the space left open.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Jul 2008 05:57:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Jaque

Posted: 02 Jul 2008 11:07:37 am    Post subject:

here is what i am planning on for the battle screen ( :sick: =enemy, :ninja: =you, Good Idea =your summoned creature/pet or whatever)

Quote:
:sick:  <
:sick:                      :ninja:
:sick:                      Good Idea

HP1===          HP1===
HP2===          HP2===
HP3===

here is how battles function:

the person (you OR your summoned creature OR a monster) with the highest speed attacks first. when its you turn to attack, you have several choices:
1) RUN/ESCAPE
2) ATTACK
3) SPELL
4) INVENTORY
5) SWITCH WEAPON
you then choose which enemy to attack with the <
when you are attacked by an enemy, it can choose to attack either you or your summoned creature.

if you have anything to add to the system, feel free to give me your advice, help is much appreciated!
vanchagreen

Posted: 02 Jul 2008 12:45:54 pm    Post subject:

I recommend putting the run/escape option at the end, so people don't run away accidentally when the get too [s]
trigger
[/s]enter key-happy.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jul 2008 08:15:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 02 Jul 2008 06:42:32 pm    Post subject:

I saw somewhere about a technique to use strings so make maps "smaller". I can't remember where, but even if you use two characters to designate a sprite, that will be 100 different sprites for your map. Also, as opposed to each item in a matrix taking up 9 bytes (which can add, especially at 50*50), each character for a string takes up only 1 byte, significantly smaller.

Now the only thing I don't remember is if strings have a limit on their length (other than memory)...
black-salamander

Posted: 03 Jul 2008 07:56:13 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Now the only thing I don't remember is if strings have a limit on their length (other than memory)...

I am pretty sure that there is no length limit, because by the time you run out of memory, you can't store anything to it, so TI doesn't have to set a limit when memory is the only limiting factor.
El Jaque

Posted: 03 Jul 2008 08:33:48 am    Post subject:

Quote:
enter key-happy.

lol Very Happy
actually, i havent really thought about the order yet, though now that i look it over, the order is pretty good (besides what you pointed out).

@Wikiguru
i guess i sort of get the idea, but i think i need a little more help understanding (aka example code, lol) this could be really, really, useful (unless it really slows down on speed?) but how will xLib read the strings, seeing as real(2 uses matrices?

hmm lets see, i need to do some math...
80 x 100 (map dimensions) = 8000 tiles
8000 x 2 = 16000 bites!!!
yay, it just might fit in ONE map!!!

thanks for the help!!!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement