This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Releases => Your Projects
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 05:43:07 pm    Post subject:

File Name :: Stratego
Author :: Snipes17
Category :: Ti-83plus Basic Games
Screenshot :: [img]http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?act=downloads&do=imgss&id=348[/img]
Description ::
Stratego is a remake of the popular strategy board game by the same name. For the TI 83/84 series, Stratego features two player hot seat play. Stratego is perfect solution for long trips and slow days!

Updated Sun, Jul 20 2008 8:51 pm

View File
black-salamander

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 09:47:02 pm    Post subject:

If this game was on one calculator for two people, then wouldn't your opponent be able to see where your pieces are and such? Nice game, but I believe you can also use the GetCalc( function for two calculators. Just an idea, but otherwise, nice game!
vanchagreen

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 11:03:12 pm    Post subject:

Looks good! :biggrin:
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Jul 2008 10:25:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nice game, but I believe you can also use the GetCalc( function for two calculators.

I was going to implement that, but I wanted the game to work before I started messing around with two calcs, but I will add that in a future version as well as many other improvements. (I don't have 2 calcs so I couldn't test the GetCalc( ).

*Edit*

Quote:
If this game was on one calculator for two people, then wouldn't your opponent be able to see where your pieces are and such?

I know. That is why I said hot seat multiplayer. Basically you take your turn, then when it says "Player ?'s Turn" you hand the calc to the other person and they press a button to bring up the board again. Have you played Advance Wars? It has a multiplayer option like this. As for moving the cursor over your opponent's pieces, that won't show you their name or rank because I made it so you can only see your pieces' name/rank. The only way is to cheat and skip your turn, view the opponents pieces, skip their turn, and then move yours, but that ruins the fun...

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jul 2008 02:02:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
lafferjm

Posted: 20 Jul 2008 07:32:18 pm    Post subject:

Snipes17 wrote:
(I don't have 2 calcs so I couldn't test the GetCalc( ).

I think most emulators have a virtual link so you could test it that way :biggrin:
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Jul 2008 07:59:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think most emulators have a virtual link so you could test it that way biggrin.gif

Really? That's good to know. Thanks.

If you use STATEGO84 there is a small error. If you can edit the program, scroll down until you see 'If N=-29' and change it to 'If N=-9'. This was overlooked when I was editing both files at the same time. If you can't edit the file, use STRATEGO83. You will have to sit through some slower animation timers during the logo and title screens

I will see about updating the file on the server as soon as possible.
black-salamander

Posted: 20 Jul 2008 11:16:04 pm    Post subject:

okey dokey Smile
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 07:21:35 pm    Post subject:

Ok, it has been updated. Look for a major update in 2-3 weeks. (Hint: 2 calcs)
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jul 2008 11:38:21 am    Post subject:

I'd also love to see some AI.

what method do you use for storing the pieces? with the your current graphical style, it would be pretty easy to use stat plots to draw it automatically, and have 2 more lists to hold ranks.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 22 Jul 2008 12:20:30 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:

I second this request.
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jul 2008 12:40:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
what method do you use for storing the pieces? with the your current graphical style, it would be pretty easy to use stat plots to draw it automatically, and have 2 more lists to hold ranks.

I am using a matrix because it was the quickest solution at the time, but I am going to look into something smaller and quicker.

Quote:

I second this request.

This is something I really want, too, but I would need to do some research in order to provide good AI for a game with as many pieces as Stratego. I will try my best and see what happens.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jul 2008 10:44:40 pm    Post subject:

the stratego variant I made was also lacking in an AI. My guess is actually that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to make anything resembling a challenging AI in Basic, especially if you haven't implemented one for strategy games before in other languages. I know it's been successfully done with TI-Basic checkers though, so who knows?
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jul 2008 12:56:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
  the stratego variant I made was also lacking in an AI. My guess is actually that it would be EXTREMELY difficult to make anything resembling a challenging AI in Basic, especially if you haven't implemented one for strategy games before in other languages. I know it's been successfully done with TI-Basic checkers though, so who knows?

I began researching it the moment I saw you all wanted it and unfortunately, even AI engines are rare in open source or C. There was an AI Stratego tourney in 2007 and only five people entered. I also found some forums with useful ideas, but no one even had an example in C or something I could use in my game. Unfortunately, making AI for Stratego is harder than chess for many reasons. One being the number of pieces, another being that each piece is more specialized, but the coup de grace is that you cannot see all the pieces at once. Replicating bluffing, "suicide runs", and human memory decay is very challenging to do with higher level languages and plenty of memory. On the TI 83 series I do not even know if it would work. Also, Stratego is not a game where you can plan the entire match. There is no "three move check mate".

I am trying, but I can't promise another human in 24 KB of memory if you get my drift.

elfprince, you made a stratego, too? How did it end up?

Last edited by Guest on 23 Jul 2008 12:58:41 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 07:08:11 pm    Post subject:

Snipes17 wrote:
I began researching it the moment I saw you all wanted it and unfortunately, even AI engines are rare in open source or C. There was an AI Stratego tourney in 2007 and only five people entered. I also found some forums with useful ideas, but no one even had an example in C or something I could use in my game. Unfortunately, making AI for Stratego is harder than chess for many reasons. One being the number of pieces, another being that each piece is more specialized, but the coup de grace is that you cannot see all the pieces at once. Replicating bluffing, "suicide runs", and human memory decay is very challenging to do with higher level languages and plenty of memory. On the TI 83 series I do not even know if it would work. Also, Stratego is not a game where you can plan the entire match. There is no "three move check mate".

I am trying, but I can't promise another human in 24 KB of memory if you get my drift.

I would recommend attempting it in a more powerful language first just to get a feel for how it would work. The people on this forum would be more than happy to help you port it back down to TI-Basic and get it running as *cough*fast*cough* as possible

Snipes17 wrote:
elfprince, you made a stratego, too? How did it end up?

I think it came out rather well

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jul 2008 07:15:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Jul 2008 12:31:04 am    Post subject:

The problem with the AI is size. I have not started on it, and I have not found small examples of code even in other languages. I have a few days off of work this coming week, so I'll see what happens. Also, thanks for offering help, but I prefer to do as much as possible on my own.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jul 2008 07:20:10 am    Post subject:

Snipes17 wrote:
The problem with the AI is size. I have not started on it, and I have not found small examples of code even in other languages.

are you familiar with minimax trees? you could probably go 2 or 3 levels deep
Snipes17

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Jul 2008 09:24:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
are you familiar with minimax trees? you could probably go 2 or 3 levels deep

The problem with those is that they use known pieces and Stratego is a game where you don't always know the pieces and when you do know some, you will most likely forget all but the most important ones. That said, I will use something like that in the AI.
Steelersfan1693

Posted: 04 Dec 2008 02:29:36 pm    Post subject:

So what is the code for this can someone help im new and i need some games and help making them
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Dec 2008 11:07:53 am    Post subject:

//topic bump!//

Basic games are open source by definition. Just open it with TI-GraphLink or something alike.

Anyway, welcome to UTI!

Last edited by Guest on 10 Dec 2008 11:08:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement