This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Aug 2008 08:43:23 pm    Post subject:

Hi, everybody. Cross-posting here because nobody's around on DS.

I'm here to announce the beta release of... well, in a way it's one of my oldest TI calculator projects, but in its current incarnation none of the code is more than a year old.

Flashbook is a set of tools for creating eBooks for the TI-83+/84+. While there are quite a number of ways of creating and viewing text files, there hasn't been (released, to my knowledge) anything comparable to Flashbook: compressed text stored in a standalone Flash App, with a nice, fast, easy-to-use reader, and basic international text support.

So give it a try and tell me what you think. I'm calling this a beta version because there are still a few minor bugs to work out, but it should be quite usable at this point. I would greatly appreciate it if you folks would eBookify a few public-domain texts, test them out, give them to your friends, and so forth.

I would also be eternally grateful if somebody could provide detailed instructions (or better yet, a binary package) for Mac OS X users. (Yes, it's GTK+; what can I say? All the cross-platform toolkits suck in their own ways.)

>> http://flashbook.sf.net/ <<
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 22 Aug 2008 11:15:55 pm    Post subject:

Sweet.. omg it's floppusmaximus, i've heard of you from the wiki ti page!
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Aug 2008 08:56:23 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
Hi, everybody.  Cross-posting here because nobody's around on DS.

I'm here to announce the beta release of... well, in a way it's one of my oldest TI calculator projects, but in its current incarnation none of the code is more than a year old.

Flashbook is a set of tools for creating eBooks for the TI-83+/84+. While there are quite a number of ways of creating and viewing text files, there hasn't been (released, to my knowledge) anything comparable to Flashbook: compressed text stored in a standalone Flash App, with a nice, fast, easy-to-use reader, and basic international text support.

So give it a try and tell me what you think. I'm calling this a beta version because there are still a few minor bugs to work out, but it should be quite usable at this point. I would greatly appreciate it if you folks would eBookify a few public-domain texts, test them out, give them to your friends, and so forth.

I would also be eternally grateful if somebody could provide detailed instructions (or better yet, a binary package) for Mac OS X users. (Yes, it's GTK+; what can I say? All the cross-platform toolkits suck in their own ways.)

>> http://flashbook.sf.net/ <<
[post="126261"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

wow, that's great Smile one of the last couple of "killer apps" I've really been needing for my calcuator. Talk to Will over on Revsoft about an OS X build, he did a FANTASTIC job with WabbitEmu
Taricorp

Posted: 23 Aug 2008 10:06:33 pm    Post subject:

Wow, it's Floppus again. I haven't seen you around in.. forever, if you believe my wild hyperbole.

If I had any space on my calculator (83+ BE ftl) and anything to read, I'd be using it. Oh well. I think I'll fire up PTI and take some nice animated screenshots of it in action anyway.

EDIT: well, that didn't work at all. 'The application failed to initialize properly'. (Vista Ultimate x64)

Last edited by Guest on 23 Aug 2008 10:23:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 06:01:06 pm    Post subject:

Ouch! Any idea why? I only tested it on Windows XP.
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 11:14:13 pm    Post subject:

I just checked it out on Ubuntu and "eBookified" Mark Twain's "On the Decay of the Art of Lying". Is there any place you wanted to gather them all?
Chasney913

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 10:59:27 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I got a "failed to initialize properly" error too.
I'm on XP.
0xc000007b was the error code, if it helps.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 12:48:43 pm    Post subject:

I'll give this a try on my 64bit vista though I still have no way to send it to my calc, at least until I get a working nix dual boot(a you arch linux I like you but hate you at the same time.)
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 06:02:00 pm    Post subject:

asdf wrote:
Is there any place you wanted to gather them all?
[post="126347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nowhere in particular; I suppose I could set up a tracker on the Sourceforge site if you'd like.

Chasney913 wrote:
Yeah, I got a "failed to initialize properly" error too.
I'm on XP.
0xc000007b was the error code, if it helps.
[post="126360"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thanks, that's actually very helpful. I think the problem must be that I was stripping the DLLs (it reduced the size of the files a bit, and it seems to work in Wine!) I guess I never tested that on real Windows; sorry about that. I'll release a new version of the installer as soon as I get a chance to test it.
asdf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:31:07 pm    Post subject:

Well, i guess there is already the eBooks section on ticalc.org. But anyway, everything was built nicely for me Smile
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 05:07:09 pm    Post subject:

New installer, same place. Windows users, please give it another try if it didn't work the first time. Sorry about that.
Chasney913

Posted: 26 Aug 2008 07:01:07 pm    Post subject:

It works fine for me now, and I'm using still using XP. I'll try it on the computer that had the problem when I get a chance, but it looks like it'll work.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Sep 2008 05:54:38 pm    Post subject:

Just so you folks know, I'm making good progress; the second beta release should be out soonish. I wasn't intending to add any major new features before the final 1.0 release, but then I discovered libhyphen... so yes, Flashbook will now be able to hyphenate eBooks automatically. Yay! Besides that, I've made a few other improvements under the hood and squashed some bugs.

Is anybody using this? Any and all comments are welcome.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement