This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 06:35:00 pm    Post subject:

I want to learn C++. What compiler should I get? I use Windows.
benryves

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 06:41:49 pm    Post subject:

Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. Excellent compiler, debugger, editor and documentation, and completely free (if you download the web installer, you need to register (free) after 30 days; if you download the full offline installer, no need to register at all).
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Aug 2008 09:42:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying out the tutorials with Bloodshed C++. But I can't speak from much experience.
SplinterOfChaos

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 12:30:34 am    Post subject:

There is really very little difference between compilers, however, I stopped using MS VC++ because I had problems getting it to work on any computer, but my own. I've heard of other people having such problems. Some people actually seem NOT to have this problem. Supposedly, distributing an MS runtime [something] dll with your application will fix this, but there were still problems for me.

(And does it really make sense that an MS compiler, making programs for MS machines, should require an extra library be distributed with the app?)

I like GCC (wiki), which is a Uinux compiler, but I use MinGW (wiki), a Windows port of GCC. I've never had problems distributing with GCC, but it also might be having switched IDEs.

If you're not planning on distributing, then there's no real difference between compilers, as long as your compiler is an ISO conforming one. (It agrees with all the rules and regulations of C++; there are some that don't.) But, getting a well respected compiler may be important because it's likely to be well optimized.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 12:34:49 am    Post subject:

SplinterOfChaos wrote:
(It agrees with all the rules and regulations of C++; there are some that don't.)

Which would be pretty much all of them. And in a few years, definitely all of them.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Aug 2008 12:35:24 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 08:51:23 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I'm trying out the tutorials with Bloodshed C++.  But I can't speak from much experience.
[post="126343"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Before Microsoft released a free version of Visual C++ (which was only in 2003, after all), Bloodshed Dev-C++ was indeed popular. It is, however, a dead project and is a pretty ropey IDE in comparison to others that have sprung up since. If you absolutely have to use it, wxDev-C++ is a more up-to-date version.

SplinterOfChaos wrote:
There is really very little difference between compilers, however, I stopped using MS VC++ because I had problems getting it to work on any computer, but my own. I've heard of other people having such problems. Some people actually seem NOT to have this problem. Supposedly, distributing an MS runtime [something] dll with your application will fix this, but there were still problems for me.
Like any other language, C or C++ programs that use a particular library need that library to be installed on the target computer. You should bundle the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package with your installer or, at the very least, include a link to it in your documentation. You could, alternatively, statically link to it (by default it is dynamically linked), though this naturally makes your executables significantly larger than they would be otherwise!

Quote:
(And does it really make sense that an MS compiler, making programs for MS machines, should require an extra library be distributed with the app?)
See also: .NET framework. It would be nice if they pushed these things out over Windows Update, but they don't, so for the moment we'll have to keep bundling the redists with our installers. (FWIW, the ATi video card drivers install the VC runtimes).

The real benefit of using VC++ is in its incredibly powerful debugger and general ease of use. I should probably mention that for some reason there are a lot of people still using VC++ 6; make sure that you don't. It predates the standardisation of C++ and as such will not compile valid C++ code and happily compiles invalid C++ code.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 06:41:55 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I'm trying out the tutorials with Bloodshed C++.  But I can't speak from much experience.
[post="126343"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

same, though a friend suggested codeblocks. works decently, but I think I'll switch over to Visual C++ at some point.
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Aug 2008 07:37:32 pm    Post subject:

Visual Basic is great. I'm probably going to do a lot with it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement