This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
thebetter1

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 09:12:05 pm    Post subject:

Can someone please show me where I can find a good C++ tutorial? So far, the only ones I have found are a bit lacking. They describe how to make data structures and everything, but nothing about input or output. Also, they all refer to some "iostream" library that I can't find.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Sep 2008 10:28:49 pm    Post subject:

tried google, first thing I found
benryves

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 07:37:25 am    Post subject:

Thinking in C++ is supposedly pretty good.
Liazon wrote:
tried google, first thing I found
[post="127038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
#include <iostream> is right, using namespace std; isn't. Use the full name, such as std::ofstream (or, the usual example for beginners, std::cout). You should only really use using statements in the smallest scope where they're useful (and so never in headers), otherwise it defeats the whole point of namespaces in the first place.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 07:54:17 am    Post subject:

http://www.cprogramming.com/
http://www.learncpp.com/
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ //same as liazon linked to, but this is the index page

pick one you like.
werewolf1492

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 01:58:26 pm    Post subject:

Couple quick questions about C++ if nobody minds?
-Do you have to memorize all the commands?
-Does the language make sense (like transferring to normal english) or is it more like a binary/hex set up?
(So pretty much, does it more resemble asm or basic calculator programming?)
-How strict are limitations of coding in regards to what you can/cant do or access?
-How easy is it to pick up on?
benryves

Posted: 19 Sep 2008 02:43:51 pm    Post subject:

werewolf1492 wrote:
-Do you have to memorize all the commands?
I'd expect you to know the keywords by heart (basic features at the heart of the language, eg if statements and for loops). I wouldn't expect you to know all of the standard library by heart, though; a rough idea of what it's capable of should suffice. You can then consult the documentation to see the specifics of how to use it.

Quote:
-Does the language make sense (like transferring to normal english) or is it more like a binary/hex set up? (So pretty much, does it more resemble asm or basic calculator programming?)
-How strict are limitations of coding in regards to what you can/cant do or access?
-How easy is it to pick up on?
It's fairly easy to read and write, but is loosely defined and not strict at all (it's very easy to write buggy or insecure code with it, though it makes low-level access to hardware and memory easy). It's fairly straightforwards to pick up, but uses an extremely ungainly compilation model. Really, for applications programming (stuff like games, word processors or video players as opposed to operating systems and drivers) you'd probably be better off using languages that promote safety and ease of use (C#, Java, Visual Basic, Python). The only real reasons to stick to C or C++ are legacy code bases (not something which applies to beginners) or library availability (most libraries have interfaces for friendlier programming languages).
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 10:32:39 pm    Post subject:

well it's not assembly if that's what you're asking lol
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement