This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 04:25:46 pm    Post subject:

Well, i have a dilemma. I have HP pavilion entertainment laptop that is fairly new. It technically isn't mine, but i was given it to fix, and well im stumped. when i first got it, it would partially boot up XP, then say an error (don't know) and restarted. I got my trusty XP disc out, and lo and behold, when i try and format (booting up from disc) it says it didn't find a hard dive on my computer! Trust me, i know its there because i got Linux to install. So, i have Linux, but i really need windows. Is their any way to make it see the hard drive? Or am i stuck, well is my friend stuck, with Linux? This is bugging me..and I know the xp disc isn't bad, I've used it before with no problems.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 04:31:59 pm    Post subject:

Chances are you need to load some sort of driver by pressing F6 at the beginning of Windows Setup. Do some searching to see if you computer requires drivers to install Windows and yeah Linux is good at not needing this, well it needs it but already has it in other words.

BTW what model laptop you have?

Last edited by Guest on 03 Oct 2008 04:35:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 05:06:11 pm    Post subject:

HP Pavilion dv6000

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 05:58:04 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
HP Pavilion dv6000
[post="127538"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's very interesting, because that is the exact same laptop I have and in fact what I am typing on right now and it doesn't require you loading any drivers to find the hard drive.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 07:51:46 pm    Post subject:

great...that probably means it needs a new hard drive? or something else..

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 07:54:24 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
great...that probably means it needs a new hard drive? or something else..
[post="127540"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, your hard drive works in Linux so it's fine. It's Windows fault. I seem to be in the same predicament as you though. My RAID controller works in Linux on my desktop, but I can't get Windows to use it even with the drivers. IDK. But your hard drive is fine don't worry about that.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Oct 2008 09:15:26 pm    Post subject:

Sweet..now to get better at using linux Smile so i take it there is no way to get windows to work?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 12:03:49 am    Post subject:

If you absolutely need Windows on that machine, you might want to look into setting up a virtual machine and having Windows run in that.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 09:57:15 am    Post subject:

When you go into your BIOS, what does it say about your HD (i.e. Does it recognize it)? Also, I don't know much about Linux, but could the format of the HD affect its visibility in Windows? I know that Linux supports like 40 different types, so that leaves lots of possibilities.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 11:11:50 am    Post subject:

JoostinOnline wrote:
When you go into your BIOS, what does it say about your HD (i.e. Does it recognize it)?  Also, I don't know much about Linux, but could the format of the HD affect its visibility in Windows?  I know that Linux supports like 40 different types, so that leaves lots of possibilities.
[post="127554"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Windows does not support reading the Linux file system right out of the box although it can with 3rd party software. During the windows install, it recognizes all partitions no matter what the file system is, even if it doesn't know it will mark the size and say Unknown.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 09:12:45 pm    Post subject:

Yeah..bios doesnt say anything,and i cant get a emulator to run in windows...anybody know of one that will execute right from linux, thats all i have on my comp...
Art_of_camelot

Posted: 04 Oct 2008 10:36:26 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if he got a virus on it while using windows before he gave it to you. I know in the past i have had computers running windows (not xp) that I picked up a virus on and the effect that it had on the computer was not allowing me to see my hardrive (or other various drives) as if they didnt exist. If i remember correctly I ran an antivirus program and cleared the virus and then reinstalled windows. Can you not just format from linux and then reinstall Linux and windows though?
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 12:22:46 am    Post subject:

No, i formatted the drive with Linux, that's all that is on it right now,i got rid of the windows crap, and it still wont let re install windows...
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 11:09:28 am    Post subject:

Do you know if in the BIOS the hdd is set to AHCI mode?
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 06:17:54 pm    Post subject:

No, i dont know, i dont think it is though.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Oct 2008 10:46:24 pm    Post subject:

Your notebook is fine. You need a SCSI/RAID driver or an original HP recovery CD.

I looked up the notebook and found it is an nForce Chipset, so it probably has an nForce RAID. If you know which nForce, you can download the appropriate RAID Drivers. Then, go to another computer and fire up nLite. Slipstream Service Pack 3 and Integrate your RAID driver in TxtSetup not PNP. This will cause your SATA support to load before Windows Setup even goes looking for your partitions.

Justin
TylerMcL

Posted: 06 Oct 2008 02:58:27 pm    Post subject:

LOL, I too happen to have a HP Pavilion dv6000 (My dad is The manager for the image printing division in the detroit metro area, selling to chrysler and stuff Razz)

I asked my dad's technical assistant about this, and basically what he told me is that the hardware is only supported by Vista at the time. He didn't exactly say why, but he just said that the hardware wasn't compatible. So whether it's the bios or not, it's guaranteed that XP isn't gonna work on our type of computer :P

I guess the only thing I can say is to get a copy of Vista and keep with Linux (I happen to be using Vista Home Premium SP1? and Linux Ubuntu 8.10) just in case windows decides to stop working for you, for no apparent reason :P

And by the way, what specs do you guys have on yours? I've got a 2.2 core 2 duo, 2 gb ram, and a Nvidia 8400GS. It's aight -- it works :)

Oh, and does anyone know about overclocking CPU's on these types of machines? Would it completely ruin my computer, or no? I never use it for longer than 3 or 4 hours straight. And I almost always clock it down to 800MHZ when I'm just browsing the net or something. I was just wondering about when I try to play assassin's creed or something on it Smile

Last edited by Guest on 06 Oct 2008 02:59:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Oct 2008 05:04:08 pm    Post subject:

Here's a post where someone went through the steps NetWizz described.

TylerMcL wrote:
I asked my dad's technical assistant about this, and basically what he told me is that the hardware is only supported by Vista at the time. He didn't exactly say why, but he just said that the hardware wasn't compatible. So whether it's the bios or not, it's guaranteed that XP isn't gonna work on our type of computer
The tech guy is somewhat correct, in that XP won't work out of the box on that laptop. However, if you follow the instructions NetWizz gave, it is possible. Difficult perhaps, but possible.
TylerMcL

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 04:03:26 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I know Razz I can't imagine anything being impossible with computers. You can always just program and make it yourself Smile lol

I figured he just told me that, because he probably doesn't think I know as much about computers as I do. I just wasn't about to correct him on a question that I gave him in the first place Razz
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Oct 2008 10:06:29 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys! and Alex, ill check that link once i get all my homework done... Sad
Thanks again for all the help.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement