This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Galandros

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 05:15:22 pm    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
Ok. I will add soon the nspire compatibility and better instruction set of the z80 I found in OTBP that calcmaniac told me in IRC. Finding it was hard, but it was on my hard drive.
I have been seeing Revsoft and Maxcoderz foruns so new links will appear.

Also I feel like understanding and doing an tutorial to access multi pages APPS. It is a common question that I hope to get rid of. :P

This reply acts kind of a to do note so I won't forget... xD

VERY LATE EDIT: why not make a more general apps tutorial/guide. It is intended to be quick to shows and explains a bit about multi pages, header, alocating problems, etc..

a, I lost track of the instruction set. I know calcmaniac84 shared in IRC and I have one copy in my computer. It is very good because has everything and in one papper!
Lots of tile mapping links added. I have also links for grayscale in 84/84 links but keep them for me. The tutorial is queued. Wink
gamedev.net and wikipedia are trusty sources of algorithms and/or techniques so enjoy them.

EDIT: edited a Portuguese word Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 25 Mar 2009 05:31:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 25 Mar 2009 05:32:10 pm    Post subject:

Here's one that I use. It's basically the tab file with T-states and slightly clearer argument explanations. The right-most column is the number of T-states.
[attachment=2618:tab.txt]
Galandros

Posted: 03 Jun 2009 04:36:05 pm    Post subject:

Before I forget, writing down notes here:

Initial errors and debug:
This things can freeze a calculator (it does "nothing")
- loop forever (most times caused by the counter that is destroyed in some routine)
- code execution gets out of your program area and enter into data or RAM page not to execution. (eg. in a apps I let the pc go behind the $8000 and so enters in a RAM page which has code execution protection, all because I forget a ret in a subroutine)

Also I saw a nifty debug macro for spasm (I don't know about tasm)
.echo > breakpoints.brk "\n"
#define break() .echo >> breakpoints.brk $
To use just write break() and you find the pc to toggle the breakpoints in emulator. Easier than searching yourself the code in the debugger.

Instead of seeing register in every breakpoint, a group of defines output some registers content to a log/buffer in safe ram. This won't work if the code crashes very hard. But when doing freaking math, investigating some routine output or other task that doesn't crash that hard, can be semi-useful. (breakpoints also do the job)
Would worth to anyone this asset of routines to easily output to a safe ram some registers? They will all preserve registers.
Its use would be like:
init_log() ;initialize saferam by putting a zero on the first byte. That byte says how many 8-bit registers are in the log
;code
log_de() ;de will be put into a safe ram and preserves all registers
;some more code
log_a() ;ouput a this time
;etc..
I can do this if there is interest.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jun 2009 04:38:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 11:23:36 am    Post subject:

Man, I feel I should really try Spasm 2...

Which emulator do you use?
Galandros

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 01:09:54 pm    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
Man, I feel I should really try Spasm 2...

Which emulator do you use?

wabbitemu. Unfortunately the debugger isn't finished...

I have TI-Flash Debugger ready, too. I will try PindurTI today, I hope.
EDIT: ah now I know why pindurti didn't worked to me. I tried to run a 84SE on it...
Ugh, a working debugger, I should have used that before...
Adds links >_> (Cemetech useful z80 routines (BASIC execution, I searched that one day without success), pindurti and wabbitemu)

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2009 03:19:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jun 2009 02:52:24 pm    Post subject:

I love PindurTI's debugger. I hope Wabbitemu gets at least all of the features that PTI has, if it plans on becoming a good tool for development and hackery Wink
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 11:31:09 pm    Post subject:

I know it's been said before, but I've been doing a ton of accidental ld a,(6)'s instead of in a,(6)'s. Even when you know it's wrong, those are tough to avoid!
Galandros

Posted: 03 Aug 2009 02:16:43 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I know it's been said before, but I've been doing a ton of accidental ld a,(6)'s instead of in a,(6)'s. Even when you know it's wrong, those are tough to avoid!

That and something like:
ld e,(xxxx)

Only "a" register is valid. >.<"

darkstone knight already said this but doing this would ease my coding sometimes... xD

Yeah, I have been doing some z80 assembly and it is not that fun, at least for now. 4 lines or more of code/instructions to do what in most common languages you accomplish in 1.
I only continue to see if seeing the shining result deserves my constant desespere while coding z80 assembly.
Starting doing notes could help me... But when I am on a computer, paper and pencil seems always so far away and ridiculy I have them prepared without knowing... -.-
I waste too many time thinking how to do things right (how array must be organized, how to implement things) and then see code and rewrite it.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Aug 2009 02:22:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 02:30:49 pm    Post subject:

Z80 is definitely my favorite language... I LOOVE the direct hardware control. It is so concrete, which, of course, has its advantages and disadvantages.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 08:26:22 am    Post subject:

There's another error in ASM in 28 days that I don't think has been posted here. The getpixel routine in day 24:

Code:
   AND   7
   LD    A, $80
   RET   Z
   LD    B, A

should be

Code:
   AND   7
   LD    B, A
   RET   Z
   LD    A, $80

Last edited by Guest on 27 Aug 2009 08:28:08 am; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 27 Aug 2009 12:30:59 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
There's another error in ASM in 28 days that I don't think has been posted here. The getpixel routine in day 24:

Code:
   AND   7
   LD    A, $80
   RET   Z
   LD    B, A

should be

Code:
   AND   7
   LD    B, A
   RET   Z
   LD    A, $80

Actually, it really should be:

Code:
   AND   7
   LD    B, A
   LD    A, $80
   RET   Z
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Dec 2009 10:38:01 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if this one has been mentioned, but constants and labels cannot start with a number
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Dec 2009 06:25:18 am    Post subject:

Actually, that depends on your assembler, but yeah... At least, it's bad style.
Galandros

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 01:02:16 pm    Post subject:

You should bug me to update this...

I have things to add and modify. :biggrin:
jammasterz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Apr 2012 11:22:06 am    Post subject:

I have a few tips that ive come up with.

Good programming habbits:

1. Start by writing helping routines like displaying, keychecking and so on, and then use them in your code.

2. Do not optimize your code when its not done. Even though you know that XOR A is fatser than LD A, 0, use the other one, to avoid bugs and then when its fully tested- optimize it step by step.

3. If youre saving something to a specific memory location, try not using magical-variables. For example if you check some value at some address few hundread times in your code, and then you decided to change the adress, you have to change the code in few hundread places. Also it is very probable that you will make a typing mistake. Thats why i recommend using equates for adresses, for example variable .equ $9875

4. Even if you think its silly, do it. When you execute RET insturction, the calculator will jump to the adress that is on top of the stack. If you push something onto it, and forget to pop the calculator will most likely crash. I know its easy to count the amount of pushes and pops, but its not allways this easy. What i want you to be careful about is jumps within a routine. If you for example push something onto the stack in the beggining of the routine and the pop at the end there is no problem. But it may happen that you put a JP or JR instruction between PUSH and POP, which will cause the calculator to SKIP the POP instruction if a jump has occured. This is really important, and currently most difficult bug to find.

I think everything else has been mentioned.

Easy debugging method

There is a very easy method to debug with, it may had been mentioned but ill explain anyway.
If your program crashes do like this:
1. Remember exactly what youve done.
2. Then look at the code and simulate what happens in your head.

Its definitely much harder if you used someones routines because you dont know what is happening inside them. Try reading routine documentation.

When simulating its allways good to keep track of the stack on a piece of paper.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Apr 2012 05:12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement