This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Rass

Posted: 04 Jan 2009 10:25:32 am    Post subject:

I got myself a TI-83 Plus recently and decided to upgrade the OS from 1.14 to 1.19. All seemed to go smoothly, but when I turn on the calculator, i get the message "TI-83 plus 1.19 / RAM cleared". Now, I am able to do simple calculations, like 2+2, but the memory of the calculator seems to be fubar. For example, if I enter Ans+2, it says that Ans is undefined, and I can't store anything also. But the real fun starts when I enter the Y= mode. The screen goes crazy, with random lines/characters running all over the thing and the only thing left is to remove a battery. I have tried installing the 1.18 OS, but the problems still persist.

Anyone has any ideas what could cause this weird behavior and how can I fix it? I really hope I didn't turn my calculator into a projectile...
ticalcnoah

Posted: 04 Jan 2009 10:37:17 am    Post subject:

Have you tried clearing your ram? That would fix issues like that. However if that doesn't work try taking out all the batteries then put them in and when you turn it on hold on+del that should fix it.
Rass

Posted: 04 Jan 2009 11:03:06 am    Post subject:

Ok, tried removing the batteries, including the lithium one, but it's still not working...
ticalcnoah

Posted: 04 Jan 2009 11:05:24 am    Post subject:

Did you try the on+del trick?
Rass

Posted: 04 Jan 2009 11:16:42 am    Post subject:

Yes, i did. I also tried to remove one AAA battery, and putting it back, while holding del (I read it from somewhere..), then the "witing, please install calculator software" screen pops up, but when I turn the calc off, and on again, I see the familiar "RAM cleared message"
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jan 2009 02:05:08 pm    Post subject:

I can't think of any reason stuff like that should happen after you've cleared the RAM. I guess you could try doing a "Reset All Memory" in case there's something broken in the archive. Other than that... where'd you find a calculator with OS 1.14? It may have had hardware problems to begin with.

The battery-Del trick forces the calculator into boot mode. It's intended to be used if the current OS is so broken that you can't upgrade the OS by normal means. When the calculator is in boot mode you can install an OS using TiLP or Graph-Link; I seem to recall that TI-Connect didn't work so well.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jan 2009 01:55:19 am    Post subject:

The calculator will only stay at the "Please install calculator software" screen if no valid OS is loaded. You have to hold DEL each time you "boot" it if you want to get back there.

TI Connect is terrible, yes. I'm not sure whether it's TI Connect or the boot code, but something gets out of whack when trying to communicate with the calculator before starting the actual sending of the OS. That's why TI actually recommends that you turn the calculator off and back on when installing an OS (or else you get "ERROR!" immediately). It's best to get the PC software (whichever you use) at the point right before it starts to really send the OS, then turn the calculator off and back on (holding DEL if you're doing it that way) and then start the send on the PC.

I've resent the OS during testing and development (of OS stuff) more times than I care to admit, so that's the method I go through, and it always works, if that helps anyone.

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jan 2009 01:57:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Rass

Posted: 05 Jan 2009 08:51:21 am    Post subject:

I bought the calculator off the Internet. It may as well be a hardware problem, but everything worked like a charm before upgrading the OS. Just a thought - could something in the archive or somewhere else conflict with the new OS? Is there a way to delete everything from the calculator, including the archive, apps, etc?
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jan 2009 05:27:08 pm    Post subject:

Reseting All from the memory menu should clear everything. If you want to be sure, you could do a memory test. You do into the Mode screen, and then press Alpha and a letter key. I think it's S, but I forget. Search around the forum.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jan 2009 06:50:43 am    Post subject:

Yes, the self-test is MODE+ALPHA+S. That's not a bad one to do. I think I have the details at http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/selfTest.txt

ON+MODE should do a self test from the boot code as well and erase everything, if memory serves.
Rass

Posted: 08 Jan 2009 05:36:27 pm    Post subject:

The self-test says everything is ok. It seems that something is so broken that the calculator has become totally useless and I can't do anything about it. It's a pity though, as I really started to like the calculator alot...

Oh well, thanks for all the help.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Jan 2009 09:37:12 pm    Post subject:

Check your warranty? If you got it recently, TI should replace it.
critor

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 05:49:35 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:

Yes, the self-test is MODE+ALPHA+S. That's not a bad one to do. I think I have the details at http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/selfTest.txt

ON+MODE should do a self test from the boot code as well and erase everything, if memory serves.

I never managed to use the ON+MODE self test...
Can you be clearer about it?
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Feb 2011 03:13:55 pm    Post subject:

critor wrote:

brandonw wrote:

I never managed to use the ON+MODE self test...
Can you be clearer about it?

Ack, necropost! :)

The MODE self-test only works when you have no OS. So intentionally corrupt it by pulling the cable in the middle of an OS transfer, and then turn it off and back on. You should be able to press [MODE] there, where it'll erase the entire Flash chip (excepting the boot code and certificate, of course).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement