This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Flofloflo

Posted: 03 Feb 2009 08:10:16 am    Post subject:

I'm having trouble solving an equation. It has two variables, and both the cosine and sin of one of the variables. I just can't manage to get al the cosine and sines on one side and the velocity on the other... Maybe it's impossible or something...

Here it is:
X^2/Cos^2(a) - (2vxsin(a))/(gcos(a)) = (-2hv^2)/G

Now, X G and H are constant values, it doesn't matter where they stand. I've been trying for quite some time, and rewrote it in dozens of ways but I just can't separate V from a

Can anybody help me??
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 03 Feb 2009 08:31:53 am    Post subject:

Flofloflo wrote:
I'm having trouble solving an equation. It has two variables, and both the cosine and sin of one of the variables. I just can't manage to get all the cosine and sines on one side and the velocity on the other... Maybe it's impossible or something...

Here it is:
X^2/Cos^2(a) - (2vxsin(a))/(gcos(a)) = (-2hv^2)/G

Now, X G and H are constant values, it doesn't matter where they stand. I've been trying for quite some time, and rewrote it in dozens of ways but I just can't separate V from a

Can anybody help me??

OK... you may have to ensure that your capitalization is correct-are x and X, as well as g and G different here?

As it stands, we can simplify some of it:

X² sec²(a) - (2vx/g)tan(a) = -2hv²/G

It's not too much trouble to solve for the variables in this equation... except for a. As a transcendental equation in the variable a, it is not amenable to closed-form solutions. For the other variables, the worst you'd have to do is to use the quadratic equation. :)

thornahawk

Last edited by Guest on 03 Feb 2009 11:36:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Flofloflo

Posted: 26 Feb 2009 06:48:35 am    Post subject:

Oops, I'm sorry, I allready solved this one by now, it's just the whole thing was really messy so I didn't figure it all out, but basically I found my formula and all ...
but at least it's good to now I can't possibly solve aWink That allways annoys me in goniometrics -.-
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement