This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 02:06:08 pm    Post subject:

Well, I've been working on these for a while, and figured I'd show you my progress.
EDIT: I have finished ALL 151 POKEMON!

What do you think? I've been working on these for a long time. Any criticisms/ideas?

EDIT: August 31st, 2009 - added 4th column and back sprites
EDIT: January 17th, 2010 - finished up to #113
EDITL June 9th, 2010 - finished ALL 151 POKEMON![color=#000000] Removed back sprites.[/color]

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2010 11:19:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 02:13:25 pm    Post subject:

WOW!!!
These look great!
What is your technique for making sprites?
What are the sprites size? (24x24?)
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 02:25:04 pm    Post subject:

animated!!! That would be so cool!!! Seriously, what is your process for making sprites?
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 03:12:09 pm    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:
animated!!! That would be so cool!!! Seriously, what is your process for making sprites?

The process? Err.... >_>

I used a program called CalcGS to draw each of the sprites pixel by pixel, looking at various sources for reference. I differ them slightly so I can smoothly animate them. The sprites are 32x32 and I have spent the last couple of weeks on this. Spriting is one of my skills, so while it was difficult, its wasn't too much so, even if it takes a while.

and yep, animated. Frame 1 will probably be the frame you see most of the time, but when it animated you will see maybe frames 1-2-3-2-3-2-1 in rapid succession, like when you let a pokemon out, for battle.

That blank spot in column one represents Pokemon no000, more commonly refered to as missingno. It's just a placeholder for a null pokemon, so missingno won't be playable via normal means :P

EDIT: As long as this topic stays bumped I'll keep you guys informed of my progress and post new pics, so don't worry.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2009 03:13:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 03:21:22 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely bloody fantastic. Speaking of blood, one criticism I have is the bleeding of the sprite outside of the frame, causing pixels to vanish. You probably can't do much about that in most cases (without shrinking the sprite, which is opening another whole can of worms). Other than that, this is terribly good.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Aug 2009 03:24:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2009 03:24:23 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Absolutely bloody fantastic. Speaking of blood, one criticism I have is the bleeding of the sprite outside of the frame, causing pixels to vanish. Other than that, this is terribly good.

Eh, someone else didn't like that either, but I didn't have much choice. keeping them with 32x32 was easier, and since they'll be located at the edge of the screen almost all the time, It'll look like the offending appendage is offscreen.

Thanks for the comment Laughing
NanoWar

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 03:46:39 pm    Post subject:

Cool! And... they are seriously NOT copied?? I mean original-pixel-copied? Wow!

But three sprites per mon is going to take huge amount of RAM... Neutral

Charizard's mouth should be opened at least on one sprite. Oh, that goes for the other monsters too.
tiuser1010

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 05:11:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But three sprites per mon is going to take huge amount of RAM...

Yeah about that, don't stop this project because what i'm about to say but, where do you plan to store all your sprites. Even with just 47 pokemon the amout of memory is (32*32*47*3)/8 which equals 18048 which is more than 10 pic can hold assuming this is a basic project
ticalcnoah

Posted: 13 Aug 2009 05:33:37 pm    Post subject:

It uses celticIII so he can use multiple pics.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 08:06:19 am    Post subject:

ticalcnoah wrote:
It uses celticIII so he can use multiple pics.

I could, but I'll be using their hex codes as strings instead. That way I can store them all in a few programs and use lineread to recall them.

EDIT: I'll actually be using Celtic for a LOT of things, not just the graphics. It's ability to read from the archive is definitely useful, and it still has all the xLib commands I'm comfortable with.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Aug 2009 08:10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 09:56:23 am    Post subject:

metagross111 wrote:
I'll be using their hex codes as strings instead. That way I can store them all in a few programs and use lineread to recall them.

You understand that you'll use twice as much memory as you actually need this way? Each byte takes two hex digits (nibbles) so two bytes when stored as text... Given the already huge size of the graphics data this sound ver very dumb. Besides reading will introduce an overhead when converting the string to hex number.

So I can only assume that you actually intend to store the raw hex data into strings (which will then look quite ugly to the average user if he ever tries to read them) but then it does not really make sense to use strings, does it? (any kind of var would do and appvar would probably be the best (provided it is supported, it's been a long time since I last programmed anything in BASIC...))
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 01:07:28 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
metagross111 wrote:
I'll be using their hex codes as strings instead. That way I can store them all in a few programs and use lineread to recall them.

You understand that you'll use twice as much memory as you actually need this way? Each byte takes two hex digits (nibbles) so two bytes when stored as text... Given the already huge size of the graphics data this sound ver very dumb. Besides reading will introduce an overhead when converting the string to hex number.

So I can only assume that you actually intend to store the raw hex data into strings (which will then look quite ugly to the average user if he ever tries to read them) but then it does not really make sense to use strings, does it? (any kind of var would do and appvar would probably be the best (provided it is supported, it's been a long time since I last programmed anything in BASIC...))

you assume correctly. I will be storing the RAW hex into appvars. Celtic will recall a line in an appvar as a string to be used however I need it. The average user should not NEED to read it anyway. The string thing is just how Celtic handles everything, I really have limited control over that.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 04:24:01 pm    Post subject:

Why not use a small asm program to change the graph screen into a string, and then write it to the appvar. Then you could read it to a picture with another asm program.
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 05:20:09 pm    Post subject:

a libary AND asm progs?

Cool
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 06:53:16 pm    Post subject:

darkstone knight wrote:
a libary AND asm progs?

Cool

yep!!! Surprised
ztrumpet

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 07:23:54 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that sounds fun! Smile
If you wanted to you could create a program, write the hex code to that program using Celtic III's line write, then delete the program.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 11:27:40 pm    Post subject:

Deviantart is wierd o_O

I just uploaded a particularly pointless sprite sheet of some neat custom sprites I saw on another site, and within two minutes it got favourited 4 times by people I don't even know (i don't know ANYONE on deviantart)

is there some automated service I don't know about? it's this pic, btw: (NOT MINE, RIPPED FROM A POKEMON FIRERED ROM HACK)

Last edited by Guest on 14 Aug 2009 11:29:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Aug 2009 10:47:50 pm    Post subject:

Ok guys, the next set of pokemon is nearly completed, bringing the total to 4 sets, and 192 sprites out of 456. It'll be posted here in a few days, hopefully. this post was simply to keep this topic from vanishing (my other ones vanished, which is very bad)
ztrumpet

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 07:39:27 am    Post subject:

Vanishing?!? Neutral How do topics "vanish"?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Aug 2009 08:34:50 am    Post subject:

Go to the General Coding and Design forum (or wherever your last topics were), and look above and to the right of the ads. Click on the From: field and select Show All, then press the Go button.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Aug 2009 08:39:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement