This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy) =>
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Sep 2009 12:53:56 am    Post subject:

I'm taking a big gamble putting this topic up this early, because S.A.D. has not been in production long enough to spur a lot of interest. But because I am working on my tilemap routine soon, these tile/sprite requests are necessary.

With that being said, I lost my graphical creativity about two years ago. So now, when trying to come up with how buildings should look, I can't think of anything. So I figured if anyone wanted to come up with building designs themselves, the buildings could be featured in S.A.D, and the creator's name(s) would be listed in the credits.

Sound interesting? Below is a list of items I need and their descriptions, plus some rules. If there is more than one image for a building or a unit, I'll select the best one. The picture directly below displays 7 of the nine units in the game, meant to be a guide as to the "look and feel" of S.A.D. buildings and units. EDIT: You can either send sprites/tiles directly for the calculator, or you can send a drawing or something for me to turn into a sprite.

[attachment=2791:units.GIF]
From left to right: Balkstone, Argo (A Ground Unit), Tank, Degruser, Reclauda (A Flying Unit), Splitron, Scouter

---------------------------------

Unit Designs Needed:

Units cannot be animated.

* Viper (Formally known as the Raptor). An early assault unit, for example rush attacks. This unit is a ground unit that can also teleport a limited number of times to any explored area on a map. It can also turn on a shield that completely blocks any weapon fire. The unit should be bigger than the Argo, but smaller than the Tank.

* Camoza. This unit is a flying kamikazee--it attacks a building or a unit by crashing into it, destroying itself in the process. This should be the smallest air unit.

----------------------------------

Unit Textures Needed:

* Degruser (The face on the front of the Degruser is essential, so the texture should not interfere with it.)
* Balkstone

---------------------------------

Buildings Needed:

Buildings cannot be animated, and they cannot be larger than 32 x 32 in size. Please do not just copy buildings from other games, e.g. Starcraft.

* Point Defense. This is defense against ground units. There are two kinds. The simplest Point Defense uses a photon beam. It can be upgraded to a more powerful point defense that uses a plasma beam.
* Anti-air Defense. This is defense against air units. Once again, there's a simple, cheap structure, and another more powerful, upgraded structure.
* Argo Lab--This is used to research Argo abilities, and is required to build an Argo. An Argo can be upgraded to hold Dronomonic Torpedoes, allowing it to destroy an Operation Center.
* Armory--This is used to research Degruser abilities, and is required to build a Degruser. A Degruser can be upgraded to hold an instant-destroy shot and a rail gun (allowing it to fire backwards)
* Starbase--This is used to research Reclauda abilities, and is required to build a Reclauda. A Reclauda can be upgraded to have Booster Engines and the ability to detect cloaked units.
* Manhatton Station--This is used to research Camoza abilities, and is required to build a Camoza. A Camoza can cloak, travel faster, and increase its initial damage with upgrades.
* Command Center--This is used to research Splitron abilities, and is required to build a Splitron. A Splitron can be upgraded to hold Dronomonic Torpedoes.
* Quantum Facility--This is used to research Balkstone abilities, and is required to build a Balkstone. Abilities include a railgun, cloaking, and boost engines.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Sep 2009 05:17:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Sep 2009 12:33:16 pm    Post subject:

hmm, I might work on some of the defensive buildings since I already have an idea for how they should look in my head...but who knows I might make more
EDIT: btw, do you want me to attach the file for you or send it somewhere?

Last edited by Guest on 07 Sep 2009 03:50:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Sep 2009 05:17:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
btw, do you want me to attach the file for you or send it somewhere?

I prefer attachments on this topic to make it easier for me to decide between multiple entries, but you could also send the file to me via United-Ti messages.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Sep 2009 05:18:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Sep 2009 06:07:31 pm    Post subject:

ah ok, I'll finish with some more buildings and then I'll attach it
Rebma Boss

Posted: 07 Sep 2009 11:51:44 pm    Post subject:

There's not much I can help you with, but for some odd reason, this came to mind for a Camoza:

[attachment=2795:Camoza_Idea.GIF]

The smaller image is the size it would be on a calculator, below 32 x 32.

Assuming that suicide is the only weapon form that a Camoza has, I was imagining a simple design form...and I can't explain what made me pair a cube with a ramming attack, but it does seem to fit the design scheme you have in the rest of the S.A.D. units. In this form, you would probably only need one sprite, depending on if you want the cube to turn or not.

Good luck with the rest of your images!
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Sep 2009 02:52:43 pm    Post subject:

I no longer need aid for designing the "Viper."
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:15:42 pm    Post subject:

ok, how is this for a point defence structure?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Sep 2009 05:24:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:21:56 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic! But is the first one the regular point defense and the second one the upgraded point defense, or are both structures the same thing? If the former, I'll probably end up making the upgraded point defense slightly bigger so that a player can tell it's a "beefed-up" point defense structure
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:30:05 pm    Post subject:

lol, nice edit there Weregoose Razz I saw that Razz
but yes, it is exactly how you thought it was
and well, the second ones gun is kind of beefed up...but I could do some beefing to the structure as well...

EDIT: here how is this?
(Btw, why don't browsers like .bmp? my firefox does....maybe it's just mine....)

Last edited by Guest on 14 Sep 2009 05:34:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:34:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
but I could do some beefing to the structure as well...

Smile If you want to! Otherwise, I think all it needs is some kind of foundation that it stands on...not really changing the structure itself, just adding something. It's important on a small and scrolling screen to be able to tell the difference at a glance, not just by looking at it carefully. After all, RTS means you need to be focusing on everything at once, so being able to save a few seconds of "scouting" to focus on something else can really make a difference.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Sep 2009 05:36:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:35:37 pm    Post subject:

how about what I just posted? I kind of beefed up the outline/side things
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:39:52 pm    Post subject:

Much better! Thanks!
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 05:49:30 pm    Post subject:

np, I think I'll work on the anti-air defence now...hmm this is going to be trickier

EDIT: how does this look?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Sep 2009 05:58:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 06:09:58 pm    Post subject:

I like it, but I forgot to mention that anti-air defense fires one projectile rather than several. Change those six turrets on the side into one bigger turret, and it will be perfect!

Incidentally, if you decide you want to work on any of the research facilities, those need to be bigger than the defenses...I'm envisioning pusing the 32 x 32 size limit
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 06:15:28 pm    Post subject:

ah ok, I'll change that...which completely ruins my other envisioning of it...(two turrets...)

hmmm, I might do that...but I don't know....maybe
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 06:35:18 pm    Post subject:

sorry about the double post here, I just wanted to make sure that you new that this was here
how does this look?
these are two different versions...I have another one that might work if you don't like this one as much
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 07:02:45 pm    Post subject:

Your first design was great...I just meant instead of six dots on the side, one bigger dot. Something like this:

[attachment=2808:Anti_air_defense.GIF]
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 07:10:36 pm    Post subject:

ah ok, I guess that works, cool
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 07:52:54 pm    Post subject:

Some rotational isometry to show that it's pointing upward:

Last edited by Guest on 14 Sep 2009 08:04:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2009 08:10:29 pm    Post subject:

sweet! nice, much better then any of my sprite work!
could you do a version with my point defence one? hmmm, now to work on some more buildings
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement