This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 03:42:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm supposed to find a derivative using the limit process of

X
___

X-1

I'm at the stage of

lim
h->0

(X-1)-(X+H-1)

But my weak algebra skills limits me past this.

Am i suppose to multiply this by something to simplify this?
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 23 Sep 2009 08:42:33 pm    Post subject:

Try simplifying the numerator and canceling common factors; you should be able to arrive at the expected answer. :)

thornahawk

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 05:11:45 pm    Post subject:

Another question: I uploaded a picture, lol but it was better than typing all my work. I'm trying to derive 4/sqrt(X) using the limit process but I keep getting -2/X and not the intended answer -2/X^3/2. Can someone look at the picture and tell me where I am going wrong? Thanks.

Edit: BTW thanks for your help thornahawk on the previous problem.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Oct 2009 05:12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 05:46:06 pm    Post subject:

You completely messed up on the ^1/2 part.

(4X^1/2 does not equal 2X. It would equal 2(X^1/2)

And ΔX does not equal X.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Oct 2009 05:47:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 06:23:12 pm    Post subject:

OK, thanks for clarifying that. What part of my problem would allude you to think that I thought ΔX = X, because I know that's not true. Was it the canceling out or making ΔX = 0 at the end?

Yeah I just realized how bad that error was. I just left everything as 4 and not that weird step I tried to do where I changed it to 2. So in the end I would get -4^(1/2) in the numerator and that would equal -2.

What is it about the denominator that I am doing where I don't get X^(3/2)?

I get X+X^(1/2)ΔX^(1/2) --> X+X^(1/2)(0)^(1/2) = X?

Last edited by Guest on 11 Oct 2009 07:04:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 12 Oct 2009 08:16:18 am    Post subject:

The thing with taking derivatives of radicals via the limit definition is that, contrary to the usual practice of "rationalizing the denominator", you instead "rationalize the numerator".

To be precise, if you bring the whole thing together in the initial expression inside the limit, you should have something like √(x) - √(x+Δx) (or its negative). Multiply the numerator and denominator by √(x) + √(x+h) and simplify from there.

thornahawk
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement