XOS
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
XOS
calcdude84se

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 04:27:55 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
ztrumpet wrote:
are you taking into account the recent developments of P vs S calcs?

I've followed the development but I have not implemented a software check to detect faulty RAM yet.
Anyway calcs with faulty/reduced RAM will not be supported very well : it will be possible to execute
programs but there won't be room for data storage...

It is sad that it must be this way. What might become a great replacement OS will be closed to those who didn't get their calculators before 2007. As life continues, fewer people will own calcs with enough RAM to allow them to use this OS. Sad
(One reason I'm lamenting is that I OWN one of these calcs. Also because I do feel bad.)
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 04:59:08 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
The internal set of file manipulation routines in BBC BASIC are OSFIND (opening a file), OSBGET (reading from a file) and OSBPUT (writing to a file). There are then utility routines that can be used to query and set the file cursor position and file length, again by handle. How easy do you think it would be to write a wrapper around your API?

the file I/O API is currently rather low-level : you can iterate over the file system, find file by name delete file by name and create new files. There are no utility functions for moving or resizing a file and as a consequence there are no functions as simple as get/put. I do however realize the need for a higher level API, especially because file data can be split in multiple non-contiguous chunks so I'll take care of that ASAP and get back to you when it's ready.

Quote:
It is sad that it must be this way. What might become a great replacement OS will be closed to those who didn't get their calculators before 2007. As life continues, fewer people will own calcs with enough RAM to allow them to use this OS. sad.gif
(One reason I'm lamenting is that I OWN one of these calcs. Also because I do feel bad.)

Well, I know that and I'm a bit sad that some people won't be able to harness the full power of XOS but there really isn't much I can do about it. Using extra RAM is at the core of XOS vision and design so the best I can do is find reasonnable fallbacks but I cannot just stop using the extra RAM or the project wouldn't make much sense anymore.
ztrumpet

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 05:36:35 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
Quote:
It is sad that it must be this way. What might become a great replacement OS will be closed to those who didn't get their calculators before 2007. As life continues, fewer people will own calcs with enough RAM to allow them to use this OS. sad.gif

Well, I know that and I'm a bit sad that some people won't be able to harness the full power of XOS but there really isn't much I can do about it. Using extra RAM is at the core of XOS vision and design so the best I can do is find reasonnable fallbacks but I cannot just stop using the extra RAM or the project wouldn't make much sense anymore.
Although I own one of these *bad* calcs, I compleatly agree with your decision.

This project is looking great!
benryves

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 05:52:25 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
the file I/O API is currently rather low-level : you can iterate over the file system, find file by name delete file by name and create new files. There are no utility functions for moving or resizing a file and as a consequence there are no functions as simple as get/put. I do however realize the need for a higher level API, especially because file data can be split in multiple non-contiguous chunks so I'll take care of that ASAP and get back to you when it's ready.

Don't hurry on my behalf, I have no time for my own projects these days. Having a nice handle-based file system makes programming rather more pleasant, though. Smile
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 01:30:13 pm    Post subject:

Got TIOS assembly programs to run. Now I just have to fix the compat layer to make them look like they are running in the TIOS. My two biggest problems thus far :
* the SDK is particularly innacurate. I have tested a game for which I have the source - it uses DrawRectBorder, DarkLine and IPoint and it goes not look good on XOS despite the fact that I carefully followed the SDK specs... Sad
* I desperately need the variable width font used by the TIOS or most of the progs look bad since text positions are hard coded and depends on the size of the font and the variable width font I use atm (the one from CSX) is very different from that of the TIOS... I could of course change that font to match the TIOS one but I'd rather not allocate time to such a tedious task if I can avoid it so if anyone has proper font map (in raw bin or in db statements) that would be great.
benryves

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 02:33:18 pm    Post subject:

Here's a copy of the fonts in .fon format. You could use Fony to export them as images (one file per character) and then hack together a quick utility to convert them to the format you need?
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 04:29:51 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
Here's a copy of the fonts in .fon format. You could use Fony to export them as images (one file per character) and then hack together a quick utility to convert them to the format you need?

Thanks a lot. I used fony to convert them to BDF and hacked a quick utility to turn that into a dry sequence of db statements. Once I have tested the result I'll release that tool under BSD in case anyone is interested.
calcdude84se

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 05:14:17 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
fullmetalcoder wrote:
Quote:

Although I own one of these *bad* calcs, I compleatly agree with your decision.

This project is looking great!

I am not saying that I disagree; in fact, I agree completely, My main point is the warning that this OS's audience is limited: no more calcs with 128KB of RAM are being made.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 05:41:24 pm    Post subject:

The conversion of small font file succedeed. the result is in the SVN repo already.

calcdude84se wrote:
I am not saying that I disagree; in fact, I agree completely, My main point is the warning that this OS's audience is limited: no more calcs with 128KB of RAM are being made.

Well the situation of these calcs is not that bad actually. it's significantly worse than that of "original" SE calcs but it's still a lot better than that of regular 83+ : there's still link assist, crystal timers at least one extra ram page and plenty of flash which is good enough for most purposes. The only real limitation will be RAM data storage which, with the current design, is impossible (talking about the filesystem here) but when flash data storage works this will be not be a very significant issue anymore.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Oct 2009 02:01:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
calcdude84se

Posted: 31 Oct 2009 12:42:38 pm    Post subject:

Well, given that, I take it that we'll be able to use flash ROM for storage. I might actually download it to my calc when it's done.
Keep up the good work! :biggrin:
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 03:23:59 pm    Post subject:

Small progress report :
* XOS finally supports silent link (not that it will only kick in when waiting for keypresses atm, which might need to be modified to give more opportunities of screenshot taking)
* the compat layer has been vastly improved
* the high-level file I/O API (design very close to standard C library) is almost ready
* VAT emulation will be relatively easy to implement (though with some limitations on the amount of accessible space) once said API is known to work properly which will vastly increase the amount of programs/apps properly supported by the compat layer.

Attached are some screens of emulated apps/programs (the alert viewer will notice that the emulation still has issues).
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 03:34:40 pm    Post subject:

wow that looks great! I cant wait for you to finish this, how soon until a alpha?
ztrumpet

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 03:59:31 pm    Post subject:

Eeems wrote:
wow that looks great! I cant wait for you to finish this, how soon until a alpha?

I ask the same questions. :)

Now if only I had a calc this would work on...
calcdude84se

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 05:26:53 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
Eeems wrote:

I ask the same questions. :)

Now if only I had a calc this would work on...

Me too!
He said (well I took it this way) that we can use flash for data storage when reading/writing to flash is supported. So once that goal is met, we can use XOS too! I hope that support is implemented soon, because I am desperate to try the OS.
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 07:39:27 pm    Post subject:

Lol, well ATM, I would have to test it on an emulator...I had my calc taken away for an indefinate amount of time, but I can hardly wait Very Happy I've been following this for a little while now, and it's gotten me excited Smile
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 10:33:47 pm    Post subject:

Wowee, I am impressed! Keep up the great work! As always, this calibre work makes me want to get back to my own z80 projects Smile
Taricorp

Posted: 09 Nov 2009 02:06:27 pm    Post subject:

Impressive.
Now I must go work on LIFOS...
Galandros

Posted: 09 Nov 2009 02:20:52 pm    Post subject:

magicdanw wrote:
Wowee, I am impressed! Keep up the great work! As always, this calibre work makes me want to get back to my own z80 projects Smile

Go ahead, fulfil part of fullmetalcoder objective with XOS.

Taricorp wrote:
Impressive.
Now I must go work on LIFOS...

Two in a row. :biggrin:
calcdude84se

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 02:07:59 pm    Post subject:

Question: Is the DirectLink cable supported? If it isn't, will it be? Most people with an 84 (myself included) never bother to buy the Silverlink or an older cable.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 03:07:04 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
Question: Is the DirectLink cable supported? If it isn't, will it be? Most people with an 84 (myself included) never bother to buy the Silverlink or an older cable.

Not yet but it should be doable after close study of usb8x and periph8x sources. It's not a top priority item though since I have lost my direct link cable and therefore cannot test direct link...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
XOS
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement