XOS
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
XOS
ztrumpet

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 04:18:02 pm    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
calcdude84se wrote:
Question: Is the DirectLink cable supported? If it isn't, will it be? Most people with an 84 (myself included) never bother to buy the Silverlink or an older cable.

Not yet but it should be doable after close study of usb8x and periph8x sources. It's not a top priority item though since I have lost my direct link cable and therefore cannot test direct link...

So you can't link calc to calc? Or is it just you can only use the silver cable to link to the PC?
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 04:25:36 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
fullmetalcoder wrote:
calcdude84se wrote:
Question: Is the DirectLink cable supported? If it isn't, will it be? Most people with an 84 (myself included) never bother to buy the Silverlink or an older cable.

Not yet but it should be doable after close study of usb8x and periph8x sources. It's not a top priority item though since I have lost my direct link cable and therefore cannot test direct link...

So you can't link calc to calc? Or is it just you can only use the silver cable to link to the PC?

1) At this point XOS does not offer calc-to-calc link but it will be easy to implement the "pc"-side of the link protocol to do that.
2) At this point XOS only supports linking through the serial port. USB support is planned but not implemented yet.
calcdude84se

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 05:06:24 pm    Post subject:

There is also documentation at TI Link Protocol & File Format Guide v1.4 - ticalc.org
It includes documentation of all protocols, variable formats, etc.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2009 05:06:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 05:19:08 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
There is also documentation at TI Link Protocol & File Format Guide v1.4 - ticalc.org
It includes documentation of all protocols, variable formats, etc.

Last I checked it did not include USB protocol documentation and I'm not sure the serial and usb protocols are identical...
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 11:13:42 pm    Post subject:

I wrote some basic documentation of the USB protocol a few years ago, and I know Romain made some additions and corrections; I'm pretty sure it's in that package somewhere. You should also take a look at the actual code in libticalcs2.

It's rather complicated, since there are several protocol "layers" involved, each layer requiring the data to be broken up into packets of some sort, with varying types of headers and checksums and whatnot.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2009 11:26:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 10:19:28 am    Post subject:

Hows it coming?
Also, I have a question: when you finish this would there be any way to add basic support? Like a shell of somesort, or something like that?
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 11:55:51 am    Post subject:

Eeems wrote:
Hows it coming?

I regularly commit my changes on the SVN repo so you can be informed of progress by looking up the svn log, either directly or on that page : http://code.google.com/p/8xpos/source/list

Basically I have finally implemented a high-level file I/O API which uses a concept of file handle and allow much easier manipulation of file data. This will now enable me to work on the planned VAT emulation which will itself vastly improve the number of apps/programs supported by the compat layer. Once I'm done with that I will work on flash support : receiving flash apps, reading/writing archived data (I think flash storage will be backward compatible with TIOS to avoid data loss when switching from an OS to another).

Finally I'll turn the proof-of-concept expression evaluator into a proper math app and write a couple of basic userspace tools and I'll have the opportunity to make a "proper" release.

Eeems wrote:
Also, I have a question: when you finish this would there be any way to add basic support? Like a shell of somesort, or something like that?

Well, the high-level file I/O should already make it possible to port BBC basic to "native" XOS. Beyond that I don't plan to add support for other languages in kernel space soon. However I will try to add advanced variable/function support into the math app (nothing beyond math though) and I'll gladly help anyone wanting to port/integrate any language interpreter to XOS.
ztrumpet

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 05:17:57 pm    Post subject:

I like the idea of a math App. Make sure it has all the math functions you've ever heard of plus more.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 05:29:45 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
I like the idea of a math App. Make sure it has all the math functions you've ever heard of plus more.

I'm afraid that probably won't be the case. I seriously doubt I'll manage to implement series of functions, integrals and limit calculations so there's no way I could squeeze all the functions I've heard of in the math app. However, basic operations, exp/log and trig should provide enough building blocks for almost anything (that does not require a full CAS) when proper user functions are supported.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2009 06:04:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 07:42:14 pm    Post subject:

Ah, well...hmmm maybe I should attempt asm again so I can port it...
This project is very interesting, unfortunatly I don't unserstad everything, but what I do gets me excited.

Also, I knew about the site, but since I don't completely get all that is said I was just checking to see a broader, easier to understand description.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Nov 2009 07:49:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 01 Apr 2010 08:09:24 am    Post subject:

Hu Ho, it's been a while...

I have been distracted from my hobby projects (including but not limited to XOS and TilemQt) due to an important workload induced by various school projects (hopefully some of these where fun at least, like creating a CPU from scratch in VHDL Smile ), however I haven ot stopped working on XOS (or TilemQt for that matter), progress is just slower.

Anayway, just letting you know that I finally managed to get a proper VAT emulation working. There are some limitations though :
* total size limit : VAT is stored on filesystem but must be loaded in RAM during program execution so it cannot contain more than 11kb worth of program data
* InsertMem : that bcall is supported but due to the implementation of VAT emulation it may change the address of the data so it is recommended to redo a chkfindsym after any memory insertion (or to infer the new address of data based on the updated value of the insertion point (de) )
* only prog/appvar are supported, and no assumptions should be made about the start/end address of the VAT entries except that they are stored in progPtr and pTemp

Also I have partly implemented Flash transfer : the calculator can send and pretend to receive flash apps. Why pretend? Because it goes through the protcol properly but it does not store the received data at the moment (that's the next item on my TODO list).

Another thing I've played with is "first boot" init : I reserve a couple of bytes set to $FF on page 0. The first one is used to indicate whether the calc has already been booted once, it is flashed to $00 upon first boot. During the first boot, XOS tests whether the host calc has extra RAM (well it tries to, I'm not 100% sure the test results are accurate since I don't have faulty hardware) and flash test results into another of these reserved bytes so that other part of the OS can adapt to the (un)availability of said RAM pages. Making the whole OS "RAM (amount)-aware" is the second item on my TODO list.

As for a tentative release date, I'm afraid I can't make promises... I'd like to be able to release an alpha with decent flash support by the end of May since I won't be able to do much work on it during the summer (internship time...) and releasing at that time could help gather feedback which would fuel further development next fall.

(edit) : Just to make sure : This is not an April's fool

Last edited by Guest on 01 Apr 2010 08:10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Apr 2010 11:14:30 pm    Post subject:

YAY! can't wait!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
XOS
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement