This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Flofloflo

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 03:23:09 pm    Post subject:

Hello,

As the topic title suggests... I was busy with the harmonic series, so I was wondering: If there's a formula where the input of 2^x outputs 0.5 x. What's the formula?
Now, my logic was: 2^x results in 0.5 x, x results in Ln(0.5x)/ln(2) = ln(0.5x)/ln(2) - 1.
Apparently though, that is not the answer. I am totally unfamiliar with formula's where the input is not simply x... So could somebody help me out with this maybe?
Btw, I already discovered that the answer is supposed to be 0.5 * (ln(x)/ln(2)), but I was wondering if there's a fast and logical way to find that?
Actually, now that I think about it, maybe the way I found it out eventually was as logical as it gets:
First I made a formula for a in 2^a = b, where b is your input, then I did 0.5*a...

Okay, sorry I made this thread, I solved my own problem already... -.-

Last edited by Guest on 28 Oct 2009 03:35:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 03:50:17 pm    Post subject:

you can simplify your formula to f(x)=.5ln(x-2)
proof
ln(x)/ln(2)=ln(x-2)

Last edited by Guest on 28 Oct 2009 03:52:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 03:58:06 pm    Post subject:

GloryMXE7 wrote:
you can simplify your formula to f(x)=.5ln(x-2)
proof
ln(x)/ln(2)=ln(x-2)
*facepalm*

What can I say? Thanks for testing that?

Last edited by Guest on 28 Oct 2009 03:58:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 07:16:46 pm    Post subject:

GloryMXE7: check your math.

Flofloflo: The function you're looking for is f(x) = log4 x (which is, of course, equivalent to ln x / ln 4, and can be written in many other ways besides.) In general, if you have some expression like f(2^x) = 0.5x, what you generally want to do is introduce another variable (say, u), define u = 2^x, and then try to replace the expression 0.5x with some expression in terms of u.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement