This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 08:28:23 pm    Post subject:

I am new to United TI, but not to TI-BASIC...
In the past I have attempted to port Pokemon, but I was not experienced enough and failed.
Now, with my knowledge of BASIC and the power of xLib, I am preparing to port Pokemon again.
This port is different from all the others I've seen attempted.
Most ports just try to get the basics of the games and not much else, but my port is also an attempt to include the same level of graphics that is on the Gameboy.
Concept shots below:
[attachment=2880:Promo_Sh...Battle_1.bmp]
[attachment=2881:Promo_Sh...Squirtle.bmp]

Please note that these are concept shots and the full game may not be fully greyscale, it depends on memory constraints and how much some of the stuff flickers.
I would appreciate some ideas, suggestions for extras (may or may not be in final release), as well as possible coding suggestions.
If anyone supplies code that is used in the final release, I will give them credit and include them in the in-game credits.

Thanks!
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 09:17:07 pm    Post subject:

I have got to say you could give tifreak8x a run for his money ,if you keep up the good work.
oh and welcome to United ti
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 09:45:21 pm    Post subject:

only for the fact that he is using a massive app/asm crutch to do his work. I am not.

graphics look good tho, if you can actually make them look like that. You will eat up a lot of space just in that form of data tho. Goodluck.
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 02:01:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks.

I am not trying to show anyone up, I just want to prove that the capabilities of a TI-84+ are greater than a lot say.
I am currently playing with the mapping routine right now and am actually having a fair amount of success.
I have also been working on a battle engine. It isn't currently greyscale, but the basics of it are mostly completed.
I hope to release some screenshots soon!
ztrumpet

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 05:14:54 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that looks pretty nice.
There are a lot of great looking Pokemon Games currently in development.
Hopefully you finish this. :)

Welcome to UTI!
That's the funnest sig I've read in a while. :biggrin:
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 12:14:33 pm    Post subject:

Thanks ztrumpet!

Anyway, connecting to my calc is a pain thanks to Windows Vista, so an actual beta or in-game screenshots might take a while.
Hopefully I'll get Windows 7 soon... Or maybe I'll just go with Linux instead.

On a more project-related note, I have found a bug in the battle system and am working on remedying it. It won't take long to fix.
Then I just have to add greyscale compatibility and maybe I can upload the battle system! Fingers crossed it'll be easier to convert
to greyscale than what I'm preparing for!
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 05:36:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm also working on a pokemon project, though quietly. There was someone else too but he seems to have disappeared. good luck, and I hope we see a demo soon.

If you need some help, you are welcome to ask here. I've done a lot of battle programming, and you can use any of the code in my demo as a reference, if want. It's rather badly written, but maybe it might help you learn to make your own. (pokemon stadium on ticalc)
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 06:34:02 pm    Post subject:

I might do that. Thanks. I have a lot of the battle engine coded, but maybe you have something I forgot.

I've actually been following your project on ticalc.org. It's pretty good.
As a suggestion, if you want to do a really cool remake of Pokemon Stadium, you should try making the Pokemon sprites 3-D.
I've been thinking of making a 3-D game for a while and would be interested in helping if you decide to go that far.

I have just finished the intro for the battle system when you fight a trainer.
(Where you slide in from one side and the opponent from the other.)

I now have to convert the battle engine to greyscale (if it's even feasible!!) and I will be trying to spy out some optimizations in my code. There are probably tons of places I could optimize it.......
This could take awhile. Well, when I finish I'll be sure to upload the battle system to see if anyone has any graphic or coding suggestions.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 09:04:46 pm    Post subject:

Finale TI wrote:
I might do that. Thanks. I have a lot of the battle engine coded, but maybe you have something I forgot.

I've actually been following your project on ticalc.org. It's pretty good.
As a suggestion, if you want to do a really cool remake of Pokemon Stadium, you should try making the Pokemon sprites 3-D.
I've been thinking of making a 3-D game for a while and would be interested in helping if you decide to go that far.

I have just finished the intro for the battle system when you fight a trainer.
(Where you slide in from one side and the opponent from the other.)

I now have to convert the battle engine to greyscale (if it's even feasible!!) and I will be trying to spy out some optimizations in my code. There are probably tons of places I could optimize it.......
This could take awhile. Well, when I finish I'll be sure to upload the battle system to see if anyone has any graphic or coding suggestions.

I don't think you have a grasp on what's really feasible. I'll hazard to say that 3D pokemon is a bit beyond what any calculator is capable of :/
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Oct 2009 09:15:43 pm    Post subject:

That's true...

I didn't say 3-D was feasible, I just said it would be cool.
You are probably correct in saying that it is beyond the calc's capabilities.

Still, your Pokemon Stadium simulator is pretty cool. Keep up the good work!
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Nov 2009 09:31:59 am    Post subject:

Well...

Windows Vista crashed my laptop.... Mad
So updates might be slow as I have to use our family computer for the time being. Also, I have decided to switch from xLib to Celtic III, as it is more flexible and might make some aspects of the graphics storage easier.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 09:36:19 am    Post subject:

Ouch. Yeah, that would definitely put a damper on things. Goodluck pushing through and getting things done.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 09:43:18 am    Post subject:

It certainly will. It will also do well for program execution with it's ability to read lines from archived programs and to even edit or create programs.
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Nov 2009 07:33:52 pm    Post subject:

And my bad luck just keeps coming!

My calc's mem got corrupted, like when I tried to unarchive something it gave me and ERR: BAD ADDRESS.
So, after clearing the RAM a few times to no avail, I ended up wiping my calc's mem. Sad

On the good side, it got rid of all the junk I had accumulated on my calc, but I lost my battle engine.

However, it gives me a chance build the greyscale routines from the ground up, which in the long run will proabaly be easier than trying to add them onto a monochromatic program never intended for greyscale.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Nov 2009 08:01:12 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like tifreak8x is up to no good. Where were you last Tuesday? Speak! *throws a chair*

In all seriousness, there's nothing like a tempest to clear up some of the pollution in the air. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 04 Nov 2009 08:03:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 05 Nov 2009 05:40:26 pm    Post subject:

Tough break. Sad
Good luck with the new engine. :)

Sounds like:

TI-83+SE OS 1.13 & 1.14 (unconfirmed on OS 1.15 through 1.17) and TI-84+/SE
ERR:BAD ADDRESS
Trigger: Archive a program in the MEM menu. This glitch is random and occurs very rarely.
Effect: The program will no longer be unarchivable. RAM will still be allocated for the program, but you'll get a BAD ADDRESS error and it will remain archived. The RAM is only recoverable with a RAM reset.
Fix: RAM clear and delete the program
Workaround: Update to another OS.

Source:
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?PHPSESSI...mp;topic=1090.0
Read it. It's very interesting.
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 04:05:09 pm    Post subject:

Well, I got my laptop fixed and am running Windows 7 now.
On the topic of progress, I have successfully installed TI-Connect on my laptop thanks to the 64-bit patch!

I will now be able to work on this project a little easier.
I have been redesigning the battle GUI and have attached a new concept shot. I am working on trying to build this engine now.
[attachment=2910:VS_Grey_..._Version.bmp]

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
ztrumpet

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 08:32:40 pm    Post subject:

That looks really nice. Keep up the good work!
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 05:27:54 pm    Post subject:

For all those who want to show support for this project:

Quote:

And if anyone has any coding suggestions for any part of the game, please post them! Suggestions are welcome! :biggrin:

But please don't ask me to include cheats or purposely recreate the glitches from the original games... I won't do that. :hmpf:

Last edited by Guest on 20 Nov 2009 08:21:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ztrumpet

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 08:45:57 pm    Post subject:

For the map, are you making it scrolling/room by room and on the graphscreen/homescreen?

I tried to get the image and it said it had been deleted. Sad
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement