This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
wesley

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 01:18:22 pm    Post subject:

This is quite impressive! It looks amazing with just hybrid. It almost looks like it's ASM for how fast it runs.

Great work FinaleTI!
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 12:23:31 pm    Post subject:

@Wesley: Thanks!

@tr1p1ea: I'm not sure about adding a walking animation, because it would most likely slow down movement because it would have to store character to the map, loop waiting for a keypress, display the animation, restore the map and repeat. I would have to loop over the second walking frame a few times to get the grey effect and I would need to then keep track of which frame your character is on for going up and down as well as keeping track of the terrain tile you're currently on and it could make it much slower and faster. I'm still trying to figure out a quick way of adjust the sprite used based on direction and terrain.

I'm still tweaking the engine a bit, though, so a screenie might have to wait. Sad
But in hopefully no more than a few days, I should have it ready for screenshotting.
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Apr 2010 06:07:34 pm    Post subject:

I've made quite a bit of progress, but I'm not quite ready to release a screenie. However, I will say that the engine is currently just about bug-free.
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 06:13:46 pm    Post subject:

Finally, I've done it! My 4-level greyscale mapping engine has been fixed and is better than ever!
Here's a screenie:
[attachment=3169:Walk Version 2.0.gif]

And I've created a new sprite for Green!
[attachment=3170:Green Version 3.0.gif]

In order to create the awesome 4-level greyscale , I utilized the fast For( glitch. By leaving on that ending parenthesis, it makes the For( run a little faster and that helps a lot!
Bhaliar

Posted: 01 May 2010 01:02:10 pm    Post subject:

Finale TI wrote:

Finally, I've done it! My 4-level greyscale mapping engine has been fixed and is better than ever!
Here's a screenie:
[attachment=3169:Walk Version 2.0.gif]

And I've created a new sprite for Green!
[attachment=3170:Green Version 3.0.gif]

In order to create the awesome 4-level greyscale , I utilized the fast For( glitch. By leaving on that ending parenthesis, it makes the For( run a little faster and that helps a lot!

This may seem insulting, but is the game that slow or is the emulator?
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 May 2010 12:09:22 pm    Post subject:

The game might be a tad slower in emulation, I'm not sure. But then again, this is hybrid BASIC. I actually purposefully delayed it a little so, 1) higher quality grey and 2) when you ride the bike, the bike can be a tad faster. Also, I did press the keys kinda slowly when I recorded it.
Bhaliar

Posted: 02 May 2010 12:20:51 pm    Post subject:

Finale TI wrote:

The game might be a tad slower in emulation, I'm not sure. But then again, this is hybrid BASIC. I actually purposefully delayed it a little so, 1) higher quality grey and 2) when you ride the bike, the bike can be a tad faster. Also, I did press the keys kinda slowly when I recorded it.

Nice. I am an extremely impatient person sometimes, and I would think the game is great, but complain about the speed alot. It looks really good though. Do you have any idea how the stats from the original games work? The Attack Sp. Attack, defense, Sp. Defense, Accuracy, and agility, etc.?
vanchagreen

Posted: 03 May 2010 10:33:27 pm    Post subject:

The graphics are beautiful, just like the old games. Brings back memories...

That being said... it is a bit slow. If you could speed it up somehow, it would be even better.

Good luck, and keep up the excellent work!
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 May 2010 07:53:28 pm    Post subject:

Green looks like a carbon copy of Lass
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 May 2010 04:25:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I know. I'm not a great spriter, but it looks similiar to Green from the manga and the most important part is that it isn't wider than 32 pixels. Although, if anyone out there is a good spriter, I would appreciate a better sprite.

Also, here's the walking program with a shorter delay.
[attachment=3171:Walk Version 2.1.gif]
Bhaliar

Posted: 08 May 2010 11:20:08 am    Post subject:

Finale TI wrote:

Yeah, I know. I'm not a great spriter, but it looks similiar to Green from the manga and the most important part is that it isn't wider than 32 pixels. Although, if anyone out there is a good spriter, I would appreciate a better sprite.

Also, here's the walking program with a shorter delay.
[attachment=3171:Walk Version 2.1.gif]

Nice. Also, I've been working on the stat bar for my game. Since the stat bar size stays the same, but your hp grows I couldn't figure out how to do it. But I think I finally figured it out. You divide your Hp by the damage, then times that by the bars number of sprites. Then take away however many. Any better ideas?
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 May 2010 12:20:50 pm    Post subject:

What I usually do for HP bars is take my current HP (H) and max HP (F) and then divide them (H/F) and multiply that by the number of pixels in the HP bar (H/F * X) and the just use a Line Command to fill in the bar, for example: Line(0,0,iPart((H/F)30),0
Bhaliar

Posted: 09 May 2010 12:00:08 pm    Post subject:

Finale TI wrote:

What I usually do for HP bars is take my current HP (H) and max HP (F) and then divide them (H/F) and multiply that by the number of pixels in the HP bar (H/F * X) and the just use a Line Command to fill in the bar, for example: Line(0,0,iPart((H/F)30),0

No, sorry, I meant when you subtract after your enemy has attacked. I was gonna use a ratio between hp over damage = Pixels, then use pixel off until its taken away enough.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 10 May 2010 05:38:29 am    Post subject:

Why do you have a delay in your walking code?
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 10 May 2010 06:28:31 pm    Post subject:

Because in pokemon, once you get the bicycle, you go much faster.

In my case, I was going to make it so the user would go 2 spaces instead of 1. Razz
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 May 2010 04:02:24 pm    Post subject:

tifreak8x wrote:

In my case, I was going to make it so the user would go 2 spaces instead of 1. Razz

That's an interesting idea, since it would go faster, but it could get annoying because of inconsistent movement. I'm not gonna worry about biking and the like to much now though.

Quote:

By delay I mean the number of times the loops outside of the getkey loop cycle. Essentially, my code is:

Begin Loop
Set-up player sprite
Wait for keypress while looping grey
Clear player sprite
Loop for grey
Move map offset
Loop for grey
End of main loop

If I don't have the loops for grey in between, it hangs at black and white for to long and looks bad.
These loops are simple For loops like For(Z,0,1) to cycle the grey a little before reaching the next command.
The delay is just the number of times I loop before moving on.
Also, as tifreak said, the bike allows you to move faster than normal walking, so a small delay allows for that.
Bhaliar

Posted: 05 Jun 2010 04:20:33 pm    Post subject:

Finale TI wrote:

tifreak8x wrote:

That's an interesting idea, since it would go faster, but it could get annoying because of inconsistent movement. I'm not gonna worry about biking and the like to much now though.

Quote:

By delay I mean the number of times the loops outside of the getkey loop cycle. Essentially, my code is:

Begin Loop
Set-up player sprite
Wait for keypress while looping grey
Clear player sprite
Loop for grey
Move map offset
Loop for grey
End of main loop

If I don't have the loops for grey in between, it hangs at black and white for to long and looks bad.
These loops are simple For loops like For(Z,0,1) to cycle the grey a little before reaching the next command.
The delay is just the number of times I loop before moving on.
Also, as tifreak said, the bike allows you to move faster than normal walking, so a small delay allows for that.

I know this has been dead for awhile, but any progress? My Pokemon game thing has come along rather nicely. Sprites, choosing your own pokemon, getting new moves, and enemy Chooser all still need to be put in though. Razz
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 06 Jun 2010 05:53:36 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had much progress, because I've been working on some other stuff, but I haven't abandoned Pokemon TI yet. I'm currently trying to figure out a quick and less memory-intensive way of storing and displaying text than hex sprites.
Bhaliar

Posted: 09 Jun 2010 03:18:42 pm    Post subject:

Hex Sprites yeah.... Mine has it hard coded in, but since yours is different graphics, i imagine its different. I might diffrentiate the battle sayings based on power of attack. Like critical hit! Not effective at all. You suck at life. One hit ko! XD
FinaleTI

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Jun 2010 05:22:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks to Magic Banana at Omnimaga.org, have my final sprites for Green.

Front Sprite:
[attachment=3202:Green v4.gif]

Back Sprite:
[attachment=3203:Green v4 Back.gif]

Please tell what you think.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement