This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 05:23:18 pm    Post subject:

Asm is particularly hard to debug and maintain but when writing an OS instead of just a program/app it can become a real nightmare unless you have a proper emulator...

Hence the motivation to create a decent GUI for TilEm. I choose to use Qt4 because it is the toolkit I know best, it is cross-platform and it is just so much nicer to work with than Gtk, wxWidget or (god forbid) WinAPI.

What's done so far :
* displaying a nice skin (semi-hardcoded, i.e buttons coordinates are hardcode for instance)
* mapping keyboard/mouse interaction to emulator key events (keyboard->keybad is still a bit rough though and somewhat layout dependant so far from ideal)
* running the emulator in a worker thread under the hood
* emulating serial linking using libticalcs/libticables
* saving restoring emulator state
* send files to emulated calc (8xp/8xu) by drag/drop

What's left to do :
* proper skin support (no more hardcoding, one skin per calc model, ...)
* run-time calc model / ROM / saved state switching
* debugger

I've contacted FloppusMaximus to possibly get write permissions on TilEm SVN repo but while I'm waiting for his answer, if anyone is interested, I can release the (GPL3) source code for others to use.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Nov 2009 05:23:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galandros

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 04:24:38 am    Post subject:

Great, it is always good the have better tools done.

I will try this when it is finished.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 04:54:07 am    Post subject:

I'm almost done with skinning.

Interestingly enough a couple of tests show that ,while link emulation works perfectly with a XOS ROM, it doesn't work at all with a TIOS ROM... I have no clue whether it comes from a bug/limitation of the core emulator code or a corruption of my ROM or a bug in my code.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 05:21:32 am    Post subject:

How many different OS roms have you tried? (it is known to be un-trivial to get a 84+ rom to work, personally I use a 84+ SE rom (from a friend), and pasted a newer OS into it)
I can't give it to you because of board rules and copyright law, but well, I couldn't get my own ROM to work either. Maybe I should try harder. :)

EDIT: I actually put a certificate in it Smile (it works!)

Last edited by Guest on 22 Nov 2009 06:05:18 am; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 09:12:22 am    Post subject:

Well, the TIOS 84+ rom does work, it just does not respond to serial link emulation which make it rather useless...
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 05:48:36 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I'm done with skinning (code wise that is... 76/81/82/83/84/85/86 skins (images) are still missing so help would be welcome in that regard) and rom switching.

I'll start working on the debugger as soon as possible but in the meantime here is the code, in case anyone is interested : http://edyuk.org/misc/tilemqt-0.0.1.tar.bz2

Last edited by Guest on 22 Nov 2009 05:49:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 23 Nov 2009 04:42:47 am    Post subject:

Benjamin granted me SVN access so from now on the latest source will reside there ( http://tilem.svn.sf.net/svnroot/tilem/trunk/gui-qt ) and it should be bundled in any future release of TilEm.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 04 Jan 2010 06:30:11 pm    Post subject:

I made quite a lot of progress on TilEmQt. It is now possible to load an arbitrary number of ROMs side by side, to pause/resume execution of each emulated calc independently, to select which calc is connected to the "external link" (i.e visible to tilp and other linking programs using tilibs), to change the visibility of calcs (docked/floating/hidden) and more.

I've also put some work in LCD rendering to get decent grayscale.

Things to come :
* debuger (the UI is almost done now I just have to connect it to the relvant part of the corelib)
* UI to manage calc2calc connection (it is possible to emulate a connection between every couple of calcs)
* screen capture (simple and if possible animated)
* better keymap management

Besides, after an epic struggle I've been able to compile tilibs2 under windows which means I can now build binaries of TilEmQt with full linking support so when release time comes the packages should satisfy both linux and windows users. If anyone is interested in putting together a mac package please let me know.
Galandros

Posted: 05 Jan 2010 05:13:57 pm    Post subject:

Nice, tilem put in top shape.

I used it once but simply moved to wabbitemu or pindurTI because of their richer features.
When released I will keep 3 emulators in hand.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jan 2010 09:33:56 pm    Post subject:

Looks good so far! I, too, am looking forward to having a nice usable GUI for TilEm Razz
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 07 Jan 2010 01:44:52 am    Post subject:

Ahh now i see what you were talking about on revsoft Smile.

Nice wolf btw Smile.
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 05:32:09 pm    Post subject:

Good work, but you should ask us before taking our (Edit: unreleased) skins and using them in a different emulator. We put a lot of effort into them.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jan 2010 06:34:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 07:11:43 pm    Post subject:

Spencer wrote:
our (Edit: unreleased) skins

Which skins do you consider as yours? Last I checked I was using slightly edited photos from DataMath (which by the way will not be the case in any future release since Joerg does not want these to be used as skins, so I'm looking for a new source of good quality calculator photos). If I'm wrong please do tell me (and be convincing) and I'll be sure to use different photos or (at your option) give you (or whoever took the photo) proper credit.
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 07:44:12 pm    Post subject:

The TI-84+ SE in your screenshot above is Wabbitemu's TI-84+ SE skin. It is not a photograph. I'm sure you retrieved the image from Revsoft so I'm not sure how you mistake it for anything but a Wabbitemu skin. I will assume this is an honest mistake, but I do expect you to remove it from your software.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 04:21:11 am    Post subject:

Spencer wrote:
I do expect you to remove it from your software.

Convincing enough. I'll find a replacement.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jan 2010 02:19:25 pm    Post subject:

Debugger has double g :D

Everything else is great!
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Jan 2010 08:35:29 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't aware that the image came from Wabbitemu. I was, however, under the impression that Wabbitemu was free software.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 20 Jan 2010 12:45:57 am    Post subject:

I would have thought that seeking permission and crediting would be appropriate. It is only a graphic afterall.
Spencer

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Jan 2010 12:23:31 pm    Post subject:

The original PSD files of the skins will be available along with the next release of Wabbitemu. It is true Wabbitemu is free software and after release anyone is free within the restrictions of GPL to cannibalize parts. But please give us the courtesy of at least using our assets before including them in other projects. As fullmetalcoder has agreed, we have no quarrel.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Jan 2010 09:51:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm sorry, I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

Anyway, if anyone has any photos they would be willing to contribute, or knows of a source of such photos, we would greatly appreciate hearing about it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement