This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy) =>
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Dec 2009 08:29:25 pm    Post subject:

If you're looking for something to program for Windows, we're in need of someone (or two) to write up a GUI map designer and a GUI campaign designer for S.A.D. If you're interested, let me know on this forum what language(s) you program in, and whether you'd like to work on a specific program or if you don't care which one. No ASM or graphics experience necessary, and I will provide necessary details.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 14 Dec 2009 03:16:15 am    Post subject:

Please consider making these programs cross-platform (using toolkits such as Qt, Gtk or wxWindows). I'm not currently looking for extra projects (way too much on my plate already) but an OS-specific app is typically something I wouldn't want to contribute to even if I had time...
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2009 10:33:38 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Please consider making these programs cross-platform (using toolkits such as Qt, Gtk or wxWindows). I'm not currently looking for extra projects (way too much on my plate already) but an OS-specific app is typically something I wouldn't want to contribute to even if I had time...

I actually didn't know that applications could be made cross-platform. In that case, that works
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Dec 2009 10:40:17 am    Post subject:

If you design your code well, you can cross-compile it for multiple platforms. That means: don't touch the windows API/linux-specific functions, depending on your platform. You basically use Qt, GTK or something for the graphical interface.

If you do it in python or Java you can do it more easily.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Dec 2009 09:32:21 am    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
If you design your code well, you can cross-compile it for multiple platforms. That means: don't touch the windows API/linux-specific functions, depending on your platform. You basically use Qt, GTK or something for the graphical interface.

If you do it in python or Java you can do it more easily.

Yeah if you use Java it won't look native on any platform, but seriously using GTK or some other cross platform Widget api would make the cross-platformness come more easily.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 10:25:03 am    Post subject:

Due to the idea of portability, the position for creating the S.A.D. "Campaign Designer" is also available if you can program TI-Basic and need something to work on.

There are two conditions, however:

1. You must be capable of using some sort of subprogram(s) capable of displaying graphics and writing to appvars/reading from them. People who program in Celtic III will get top consideriation, followed by those who use Xlib with some sort of AppVar program (such as AppVar 1.0)
2. While I'm not picky about the Ti-Basic program being as optimized as possible, the other extreme--a poorly-written program of low quality--is just as bad.

It would help me a lot if you attached something you worked on for me to look at
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 05:39:07 pm    Post subject:

Well I would offer to help with this, but I don't have my calc right now, so as soon as I get it back I'm up for helping
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=1091.0
here is an example of my ability to program with Celtic III for graphics and appvar reading/writing. Be warned that project is not finished though.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 06:02:20 pm    Post subject:

Looks like you could do some AWESOME stuff with this designer, Eeems...

Here's the deal. This campaign designer really needs to be done, one way or another. However, it's a big project...once again, I wouldn't mind you taking as long as you needed, but it's about 8 months of coding if you spend 1/2 hour a day for 5 days a week, more or less. Another team member offered to do it, and since he's not doing anything else, I want to make sure he knows what he's getting into. If he can't do it, and you don't care whether you do S.A.D. graphics or the S.A.D. campaign designer, I'll put you on the campaign designer and take over the graphics part, unless you want to do both. My point is, I don't want to give you something you don't want to do :biggrin:
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 06:42:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again for your help, Eeems! I'll give you three choices:

1. You can work on both the campaign designer and the graphics, depending on how much time you have
2. You can work on just the campaign designer, and I'll do some graphics work
3. You can work on just the graphics, and I'll continue waiting for someone else to offer to help with the campaign designer

I'm fine with anything, so just let me know what you decide
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 07:04:32 pm    Post subject:

Well I'm good for doing both, but right now I can't code, but I may be able to in a month or two, unless I sneak Celtic III onto my school calc. And since I don't get on the comp much I can't do that much work on graphics, but I can try. Sorry I'm in a bad position right now for helping :/ but hopefully in a month or two it will be fixed.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 07:13:35 pm    Post subject:

Don't worry about it. We had a huge gap in dedication time, so this project is going all over the place for right now. I'm working to get it stable as soon as I hear from Buckeye Dude, but for some reason (maybe from school), he hasn't been responding...

I'm curious as to why you don't have your calculator right now, and if you have a chance of getting it back. Whatever the case, I'd say I'll work on graphics when I reach that point in the project, you focus on the campaign designer when you get your calculator back. In the mean time, I'll give you some details tomorrow so that at least you can plan your GUI and everything else, assuming you have pen and paper available Laughing
Eeems

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Dec 2009 07:51:47 pm    Post subject:

ah ok
well I stayed up really late two nights in a row and got caught, so yeah it got taken away because of that...and hopefully by next semester I will get it back.
ok I'll start planing then Smile also I snuck Celtic III onto my school calc, so I can do some work.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Dec 2009 04:55:14 am    Post subject:

Well, if you need an extra asm coder, or a Java programmer, I'll have plenty of time in the coming two weeks (from Tuesday onwards), so drop me a message. My C (and C++) sucks though, so I (probably) can't do your native PC coding.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Dec 2009 11:24:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Well, if you need an extra asm coder, or a Java programmer, I'll have plenty of time in the coming two weeks (from Tuesday onwards), so drop me a message. My C (and C++) sucks though, so I (probably) can't do your native PC coding.

Well, there's nothing I can assign you for a two-week term for Java, but I'll see if something pops up for asm. Make sure you let me know if what I give you cannot be done in around two weeks.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement