This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-Freak8x subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Pokemon Purple => TI-Freak8x
United-TI Archives -> Pokemon Purple

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 12:41:16 am    Post subject:

Yup, new year, new topic.

I got the code for the NPCs to supposedly talk, but something is messed up and I get an error syntax and dumped onto the homescreen with 'prgmZGA' listed. It is odd, because this is a BASIC program, not ASM.

I am not 100% sure what is wrong at this very moment, but I will work on it more in the morning.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 01:05:10 am    Post subject:

I find some strange things when I use u, v, or w. Some variables and functions return to the home screen, and just highlight the program name. I am not sure why. Good luck with the game, though.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 01:15:23 am    Post subject:

Yeah, not using any funky variables, it is all normal ones.. I have to isolate where the error happens, which is immediately after one part of the new NPC talk program.. so somewhere there I have botched this. Hope to have an answer tomorrow

Edit:

Oh, I am totally the man. XD

I figured out the problem with it not working was my use of expr(. Once removed, I can now get the text for the proper NPCs, however.. I can't seem to get the sprites to display just yet. I think I forgot to add in something, so I am about to go take care of that now.

Edit

Last edited by Guest on 01 Jan 2010 08:46:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
GloryMXE7
Puzzleman 3000

Posted: 01 Jan 2010 09:58:05 pm    Post subject:

Keep up the good work
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Jan 2010 12:14:20 am    Post subject:

yep, looks good
cssc

Posted: 02 Jan 2010 02:49:53 am    Post subject:

Oh wow, I didn't know you had the sprites of the villagers too, cool. Looks pretty fast as well. Good work! What's next?
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 02 Jan 2010 01:13:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, and yes, I am happy that that part works too.

Next up is working on the 'Event NPCs'.

Basically they are things that are effected by you doing certain things. An example would be Ash's mom. She repeatedly just says you need to gtfo and the prof is looking for you. Once you get your pokemon, she will then be able to heal.

This part is easy to code. It is a matter of 'groups'. Each 'group' is based off the NPC#, And then those check to see if the L_EVEN list element is tripped. From there, it sub(s the string and dumps it back off into Str7 for safe keeping until it is needed.

I also just realized that I can eliminate 2 bytes per NPC string being used for the normal NPCs and 4 or more for the ones that are event related. The event related ones I currently have separated out in to chunks split by the '[' character, but I will end up removing them as I get the ZNPCEV program created.

Hooray for small optimizations XD
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 01:13:16 pm    Post subject:

http://tifreakware.ath.cx/index.php?showto...=0#entry9706804

Well, I have some explanation on how the lists and such should be. You have to keep in mind that this is developed also for the RPGSKII, so you will have to reference its engine (prgmZGA) so some of this other makes sense.

I am not sure if I need to explain any of how the code works, but if I do, please feel free to leave questions there so I know exactly what else I need to add. Laughing And I ask for them to be there, so it makes it easier for me to keep track. Laughing
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 10:50:39 am    Post subject:

Happy to report that the.. hmm, what to call it.. 'self walking engine?' bleh, basically, you feed it a list of directions and it makes the NPC and character move around on the map all by itself.

Basically, if you happen to remember from Oct 08.

Anyways, it was implemented and tested this morning. Surprisingly, it isn't too horribly slow. I do have a few small issues to work out, mainly that when the npc walks around, he deletes the tiles ahead of him, which is what should happen.. except that he deletes the door. that being the case.. you kind of don't stop and enter oak's lab like you are supposed to, cause the door is gone XD And boy he can move on his own XD

I might have to make a screenshot of it just to show what I mean.

But I have come up with a quick solution and things should work out well enough.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 11:05:28 am    Post subject:

Alright, I have managed to get back to where I was on my 83+SE when the nspire did its random crash. Actually, a little further along. I have now confirmed that the event works all the way to the point where you are told to choose your pokemon, and you are dropped back into the main game engine.

From here, I need to develop a system to keep your character from moving past certain points on the maps that will trigger different events. I have some ideas to go with, Mainly to check and see if an event has been dealt with and make changes to the map list to set a restriction. Might need to have it set a variable as well.

Also giving some consideration to moving the event list to an appvar, with the plus side of being able to read the value from archive, but the problem of needing more code to be able to do that. That could be somewhat countered by creating yet another subprogram that would recall that data, and I would just need to set a variable to tell it which line to look at..

AAAAAHHHH the possibilities x.x
cssc

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 04:25:04 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like you've got a plan. I'll be looking out for progress. Great work!
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 30 Jan 2010 01:22:56 pm    Post subject:

A plan? o.o

>.>

<.<

Yeeeeaaaahh.. totally flying by the seat of my pants XD lol
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 01 Feb 2010 11:01:25 am    Post subject:

Did some brain storming this morning, and have gotten the start of the new event system getting set up. So far I have the old code that made Oak walk around and stuff copied off to another subprogram, and have come up with a quick way to checking if T=L_BDY(# (BDY for BounDarY) is to do just that:

T=L_BDY
If sum(Ans)=1:Then: code :End

Now sure why I didn't think of this sooner. Anyways, going with that. Had to move the code for the player display around, so I could make sure that you appear first on the screen before it did any form of check for events or attacks. If you notice from one of the previous screenshots, you disappear when the text appears above where you should be. This new setup should eliminate this problem.

Before I can go any further though, I need to play through pokemon on the GB and see what kind of reactions I get when I do certain things so I can get that set up properly before continuing on. ><

And then after that, I do believe I will be ready to make it so you can get your pokemon. =]
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 05 Feb 2010 11:13:51 pm    Post subject:

Thought I would post up what progress I have now.

Added in the code that should have prevented you from leaving Oak's lab after he drug you there, but it did not. I can force-ably make the program run from the home screen, but I am unable to get it to work from within the game. I will spend a bit more time tomorrow, since it is unlikely I will be cutting firewood this weekend, picking the problem apart.

At this point the problem can only be in one place. And that is in the program that calls the actual events themselves. I most likely just have a wrong value being looked at somewhere.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 07 Feb 2010 09:17:16 pm    Post subject:

lol one step closer :P

This shows off a better view of invisible boundaries. aka, not just walking into grass sets things off. =]

And no, the game is faster than the screenshot. I don't know why it is showing up that slow. =/
Bhaliar

Posted: 08 Feb 2010 12:22:20 am    Post subject:

Looks great. I was gonna ask about the speed too. Very Happy I do want to ask though, at the part where your on the grass, and as oak walks up, you and the grass flash on and off. Are you going to change it. And I do get why it happens, I think.
cssc

Posted: 08 Feb 2010 10:31:20 am    Post subject:

Look's great! And I'm glad you say the speed is better than what appears. Is it time to CHOOSE YOUR POKEMON? Great work, keep it up
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 08 Feb 2010 11:03:49 am    Post subject:

I haven't quite figured out yet how to not display over that, except to display before and after where the character is at. I am considering implementing it just to see if I lose any speed or anything, and if I don't that will fix that problem. Something I might do here afterwhile
Bhaliar

Posted: 08 Feb 2010 04:06:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, when your guy is there, can't you temporarily replace the x with him. That, or just add him last. Thats what I do when I want things to not be erased as my guy walks over them. I put them after so he is really under them.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 08 Feb 2010 10:27:26 pm    Post subject:

actually, he IS added after the map is loaded. That is why it is flashing like that. In order to eliminate problems I was having with the other set up, and having NPCs go off screen, I made them move in the map data itself, so the map data has to refresh each time either the NPC or the player moves. It sucks, but is the only real way I was able to find to do this. x.x

Besides, this only adds one little line for Output(, I don't think it will make a speed difference.

Oh, and if I think I didn't read it correctly, the player is not part of the map data, he is an object that resides 'above' it, since he is called after the map is displayed.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement