This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
TKD_01

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 12:36:51 pm    Post subject:

Recently, I have attempted at making a "stand-alone" rip-off-of-an-OS for the TI-83plus. ie. run from the home screen with Asm( token. The program runs fine and ends fine, however, upon ending the program, all of my RAM is gone! Heres a screenshot:

[attachment=3046:memory_error_jnos.gif]
(I dont know what those lines are on the edge of the screen. They did not show up in the emulator)

Therefore, after ending the program, when I attempt to run MirageOS, the emulator (WabbitEmu) displays "ERR: Memory" and locks up:

[attachment=3047:memory_e...s_mirage.gif]

Perhaps I coded my program incorrectly? Here's the file just in case:
[attachment=3048:JNOS.z80]

Any help would be appreciated!
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 01:33:18 pm    Post subject:

Why are you putting your variables at $858F? I'm pretty sure there's some darn important OS stuff there...
TKD_01

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 01:49:55 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:
Why are you putting your variables at $858F? I'm pretty sure there's some darn important OS stuff there...

<nervous laugh> hah...yeah....you're right Smile. When I looked at the "ion.inc" file for the saferam locations, I looked at "saferam2"...which isnt very safe, appraently (statram). But thanks for the catch, calc84! Just goes to show that even the smallest mistakes can screw you up Razz.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 05:04:52 pm    Post subject:

TKD_01 wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:

<nervous laugh> hah...yeah....you're right Smile. When I looked at the "ion.inc" file for the saferam locations, I looked at "saferam2"...which isnt very safe, appraently (statram). But thanks for the catch, calc84! Just goes to show that even the smallest mistakes can screw you up Razz.

No problem. Smile I think that saferam location might have been only on TI-83, not TI-83+ (since ION was designed for development of programs for both models)
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Feb 2010 08:58:06 am    Post subject:

Most coders use AppBackupScreen ($9872 iirc) for temporary storage.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2010 08:58:22 am; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Feb 2010 09:48:15 pm    Post subject:

Heh. Don't use ion.inc.

858F is the address of statVars on the TI-83; Joe W presumably made a mistake copying and pasting somewhere, and now we're stuck with who knows how many programmers thinking that area is safe. This is right up there with "db $BB, 6D" in Greatest Mistakes in Calculator Programming History...

statVars is 8A3A on the 83+, but you shouldn't use statVars anyway, if you can help it, since MirageOS's interrupt handler lives there. (Indeed, Mirage may have been done that because, thanks to the error in ion.inc, Ion programs never actually touched statVars on the 83+.)
kinkoa

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 11:55:26 pm    Post subject:

so i know not to use that address once i start programming ASM
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 01:25:51 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
This is right up there with "db $BB, 6D" in Greatest Mistakes in Calculator Programming History...

What exactly is wrong with this?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 02:05:20 pm    Post subject:

Maybe because it's missing a dollar sign, so it would refuse to assemble?

Personally, I find the error in, for example, .db "DarkerLine's amazing RPG" much harder to catch (I'm also not sure if it's a universal one).
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 04:20:06 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:

Personally, I find the error in, for example, .db "DarkerLine's amazing RPG" much harder to catch (I'm also not sure if it's a universal one).

Umm.. What's wrong? Oh wait! It needs a terminating 0! This is why I like higher level programming languages. I can actually read them! I tried learning asm a few times, and understand a few concepts, but not much.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 05:27:48 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:

Worse than that. Some assemblers, including TASM, allow "D" or "d" as a suffix denoting a decimal number, so "6D" is a perfectly legal way to write the number 6. And as it happens, Ion ignores the first two bytes of the program file, so a program that begins with $BB $06 $C9 $30 will run in Ion, but not in most other shells. (This also happens to be a valid, if unusual, sequence of TI-Basic tokens: "►Eff(sinh-1(0".)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement