This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. S.A.D. (Seek and Destroy) =>
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Feb 2010 05:19:08 pm    Post subject:

After playing Starcraft last week, I noticed that there's a point in the game where you could still have a chance of winning if only you had enough resources for a Nexus, Hatchery or Command Center. But because you didn't have that chance of winning, you basically had to give up, even if you had all sorts of buildings left. And this happens in a lot of RTS games.

BUT, in Supreme Commander, the game doesn't end until your commander is killed, so as long as your commander is still alive, you can still keep playing because the Commander generates its own resources, so your opponent could wipe out all your resource means and you could still catch up. I saw a video of one player who started getting back in the game because his Commander was still alive.

In S.A.D., I've been trying to think of how to keep a player (who doesn't want to give up) in the game until all Operation Centers are destroyed (game over). A Scouter is free for no other reason than if you're out of resources, you still have a ship you can use. It's versatility is partly due to this goal of mine. However, if you're out of resources, you could have cloak, air/ground attack and jet pack, but not very much you could do with it. I'm inspired by the idea of a Scouter generating 60 crystals a minute like a refinery that can't be upgraded, but I'm wondering what other people think of the idea. Please vote!

EDIT: We're changing the idea slightly...whatever you vote(d), the Scouter won't generate these resources "all the time", but rather it will mine them when near a resource patch. You can still do things like attacking and building when mining these. Also, the resource rate is fixed, you cannot upgrade a Scouter to mine more like you can a refinery

Last edited by Guest on 10 Feb 2010 08:50:35 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Feb 2010 05:51:26 pm    Post subject:

I say you're sashaying along a pretty delicate balance, there. You wouldn't want to make that last resort too powerful or too available.
Bhaliar

Posted: 09 Feb 2010 09:36:03 pm    Post subject:

Make it a limited amount of them allowed in game at one time. Like 2 at the most maybe.
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Feb 2010 10:42:19 pm    Post subject:

We're changing the idea slightly...whatever you vote(d), the Scouter won't generate these resources "all the time", but rather it will mine them when near a resource patch. You can still do things like attacking and building when mining these. Also, the resource rate is fixed, you cannot upgrade a Scouter to mine more like you can a refinery

Last edited by Guest on 09 Feb 2010 10:44:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement