This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
fougere

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 03:48:33 pm    Post subject:

Hello, i have windows xp sp3. For some reason, when i click Start>Turn Off Computer, my computer freezes (even the desktop) and will stay like that for a few minutes before the shutdown menu opens up. in the meantime, i can still shutdown my computer just fine from the menu in the task manager via ctrl-alt-del even if the rest of my computer is frozen. Has this happened to anyone else? ideas?

thanks

(ps, i am aware that the catchall solution to problems with windows is to install linux, but i'd rather not Smile )
eveenstra

Posted: 11 Mar 2010 04:01:46 pm    Post subject:

yea, i had a similar problem, only it was with the switch user and log off buttons.

The only solution i have found is to use the task manager and end the process explorer.exe, then run explorer.exe. That usually will take care of it for a day or two.

As for linux, i think you should give it a try. Ubuntu is really easy and fast to install, you can dual-boot, and more than likely your computer will run a little faster.
fougere

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Mar 2010 06:44:53 pm    Post subject:

thanks, but i would prefer a permanent solution not involving the installation of an OS / re-installation of windows.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 09:35:27 pm    Post subject:

Get a Clapper. Clap On... Clap Off...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement