This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 10:16:19 am    Post subject:

Last night we started the Domain Name transfer process of unitedti.org to GoDaddy and paid for a two-year extension on the domain and a year for the hosting upfront, too. The Domain is now in an approved/transfer pending state to be carried out automatically within the next 5 days.

After that, the the name servers will be automatically changed, but I am not certain what will happen to the resoruce records. If anything goes wrong, we will, ofcourse, re-create/fix the A records...

We are hoping to not have any website downtime.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2010 10:48:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 11:39:11 am    Post subject:

I hope it's not too late to cancel this. GoDaddy is widely recognized as being one of the worst registrars in the business, and once they have your domain name they do not let go of it easily. More information can be found at nodaddy.com. I personally recommend 1&1, they've never given me trouble and I've yet to hear of anyone else having trouble with them, but really it is pretty hard to do worse than GoDaddy.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 03:45:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the warning, but it has already been set in motion.

By the way, if you don't want your subdomain hosted on GoDaddy, then you'd better duck out now – there's no telling what they'll do, those evil bastards.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Mar 2010 03:49:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bhaliar

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 04:06:01 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 06:20:23 pm    Post subject:

With April 1st approaching, I request we momentarily redirect to mylittlepony.net.
Bhaliar

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 07:29:13 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
With April 1st approaching, I request we momentarily redirect to mylittlepony.net.

Genius. Someone hand this man a medal. That is my favorite cartoon, I mean that is my little sisters favorite cartoon. =D
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 07:41:21 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully it all goes well. Do we get one of these by any chance?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 08:23:59 pm    Post subject:

Bhaliar wrote:
That is my favorite cartoon,

I thought I was the only one!
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Apr 2010 09:47:47 pm    Post subject:

They (GoDaddy) are not going to do much provided we pay the bill; honest. Seriously, they have a contract to uphold, too. If they pull some stunt with us, I have a personal lawyer, so we can get it straited out.
Madskillz

Posted: 04 Apr 2010 10:36:20 pm    Post subject:

I have used GoDaddy a few times and I still have them as my hosting on a site. I have never had a problem with them thus far. Compared to some of the others I have used I like GoDaddy much more. That isn't to say there are better hosting services out there.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Apr 2010 12:03:10 am    Post subject:

The Domain Transfer has still NOT finished. Something is taking forever
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Apr 2010 11:22:58 pm    Post subject:

The Domain Transfer Finished and the domain is Locked and the contact information updated. I still need to be parked it on new NameServers!
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 02:29:23 am    Post subject:

Sorry for the downtime. DNS is a beast when it takes several days to sort out and propagate changes.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 12:21:24 pm    Post subject:

NETWizz wrote:
Sorry for the downtime. DNS is a beast when it takes several days to sort out and propagate changes.

It's never taken more than about 36 hours to propagate to the slowest servers for me. Glad you guys are back though. Smile
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Apr 2010 04:33:51 pm    Post subject:

It took a full 72 hours for us!

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Apr 2010 09:15:23 am    Post subject:

Toksyuryel wrote:

I hope it's not too late to cancel this. GoDaddy is widely recognized as being one of the worst registrars in the business, and once they have your domain name they do not let go of it easily. More information can be found at <a href="http://nodaddy.com" target="_blank">nodaddy.com</a>. I personally recommend 1&1, they've never given me trouble and I've yet to hear of anyone else having trouble with them, but really it is pretty hard to do worse than GoDaddy.

While we're on the topic of it. Do you always have to go through a third party company to register a domain? What if you wanted to host a site from a computer at home. I know that wouldn't make any sense to do it that way, but I know a company like Google isn't relying on some hosting company for their stuff. Okay I don't know that but it's a pretty good guess.
NormalKid

Posted: 09 Apr 2010 12:39:22 pm    Post subject:

I know there's stuff like Apache, mySQL, etc. for a personal computer, and i've heard of websites running from a PC at home. But there's definitely challenges to doing it (HD space, running the computer 24/7, setting up Apache, etc.) People have done it before, though.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Apr 2010 03:42:51 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
While we're on the topic of it. Do you always have to go through a third party company to register a domain? What if you wanted to host a site from a computer at home. I know that wouldn't make any sense to do it that way, but I know a company like Google isn't relying on some hosting company for their stuff. Okay I don't know that but it's a pretty good guess.

Yes, a domain must always be purchased through a company authorized to update the root nameservers for the internet, and then there is a renewal fee in terms of years for how long you want to keep it. You can host your own domain at home, but would still have to register the domain through such a service, unless you were using something such as http://www.dyndns.com/ which isn't a real domain, but it's at least free.

With the recent changes the United-TI domain has been transferred out of my hands, which should speed up turn around times for updates now.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement