This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
Xeda112358

Posted: 01 Jun 2010 08:31:10 am    Post subject:

I am working on an assembly library and I am looking for ideas, help, and general feedback.I want to know if the readme is tough to follow and if a BASIC programmer would be able to easily use this program. If you would like some clarification with some of the codes (I included the hex), let me know. I have tried to fully document what each call does and how to use them as well as the commands.

I am also looking into making this program an APP and installing a token hook that is hopefully compatible with Celtic3. The problem is that I have no internet access except on the school computers so I cannot save the setup.exe file for the SDK.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jun 2010 10:06:11 pm    Post subject:

Looks like a good start; you have some interesting ideas there that might be quite useful. I'm impressed that you wrote and assembled all of it by hand.

As far as the documentation goes - it is a bit confusing. The formatting (line drawings, margin notes, etc.) is cute, but not helpful to understanding what you're trying to say; in fact, it's rather distracting. Content-wise, figure out who your audience is, and what they want to get out of reading your documentation - then leave out the stuff that's not relevant. At the same time, don't assume the reader already knows what you're talking about. Present information in the order that the reader is likely to need it - start with the most general information and finish with the most specific.
Xeda112358

Posted: 02 Jun 2010 11:28:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the readme advice, I will get right on it. I entered the programming world with a knack for numbers so I understood very quickly how to manipulate data. I have some trouble explaining how my projects/ideas work, but I'll give it a go. I think I will make a two readme's-- one for advanced programmers and one for intermediate programmers. I do not think I will be aiming this at beginners. Right now, since it is still in developement, it is mostly designed for programmers who have at least a basic knowledge of Assembly and a pretty good understanding of BASIC.

I could make it more user friendly, but that will obviously slow down the code. Out of curiosity, do the first 11 or so commands seem easier to understand and use than the others?

Thanks again for the feedback. By the way, programming by hand is slow to begin, but right now, I spend more time converting my codes to mneumonics than I do actually programming. It is the byte counting that takes the most time (especially when using jr's to go backwards). Still, I love to play with numbers so it provides a decent mental exercise working with different bases.
Xeda112358

Posted: 03 Jun 2010 08:20:48 am    Post subject:

Okay, I have remade the readme and I have a new example, so if you want to check it out, feel free. I have tried to make it understandable, but I stil do not know if I am quite explaining things correctly. If you have questions, ask me, because that will let me know what I need to address in the readme.

I had an idea and I was wondering if it seems okay...
I can make a variable (like an appvar) that contains extra commands (like an extension of the library). I would include commands that are more specific for developement so that they were not part of the main program. This would mean that SpriteLib uses only what is needed (because games should not need developement tools except by the programmer). Pretty much, these commands would be designed specifically to help develop sprights, fonts, et cetera to be used by the actual program. As long as this library extension is not sent with the game, that memory is saved. Plus, I plan on making it archivable, so even if the tools are needed with a program, it won't take up ROM. Does this sound good? At all?

If any body has any ideas for coding, I have no trouble converting mneumonics to hex and visa-versa.

Also, I am trying to understand how to use token hooks.

Is there anyway (besides using BASIC Builder) that I can convert my Asm programs to an application? It would be much easier and faster to install a token hook that pointed to a fixed position in ROM. I have a 64-bit computer and no access to the internet with it. My only internet access is on public computers (32-bit) so I have some trouble there (hence the reason I program by hand)...
Xeda112358

Posted: 15 Oct 2010 09:03:44 am    Post subject:

It has been a while, but at the moment I have some of my previous problems resolved. With my limited computer knowledge, I have managed to convert my hex to Apps, but I do not understand the structure yet. I am also working on a parser hook so that the commands execute faster. There are 27 "commands" that deal mostly with memory editing and sprites.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement