This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
AdamOrBud

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 11:48:25 am    Post subject:

hey!

so i recently bought a TI-82 on ebay in hopes of running a few programs that otherwise wouldnt work on my TI-83+.
i already have the proper link-cable (black, serial port) and software for sending programs to the unit, but
upon sending both CrASH and Ash and attempting to run them, they both "error"'ed and refreshed the entire
calc's memory.
I tried this multiple times, each time getting the same result.

Also, when i went to check the calc's ROM version, it showed that it was 1.0, which to my knowledge has ever
existed on those unites.

I've attached two images displaying ROM screen and the
error message I receive after running either shell.
(btw, shells were obtained from ticalc.org)

I'm really perplexed about the whole thing.

any ideas?
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 02:32:47 pm    Post subject:

Whoa! In a way, that's pretty cool - I've never heard of ROM 1.0. Maybe it was a prototype or something. Is there a serial number/date code on the back?

As far as I know there aren't any shells that will work on ROM 1.0, and if you want to run any interesting programs a shell will need to be ported. To do that you'll first need a ROM dump, or at least a dump of ROM page zero. There are various ways of doing this; a fairly straightforward method is the one Critor describes here: http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8845

I'm always interested in learning more about the development of these older calculators, so I'd love to hear what you find out. Smile
AdamOrBud

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 03:23:47 pm    Post subject:

hey!! thanks for the quick reply! im glad this is an active board :D

yeah, im really baffled about the whole thing.
i had such big aspirations for this unit too, hahaha.

in any case im not to0o0o0o0o familiar with rom dumps or anything like that.
the program i want to use the most NEEDS crash or Ash to work, so im really
clueless as to what shell could possibly work.

I DID try crash 19.006(?) and it ALMOST worked, though it still ended up crashing and
erasing the memory, which was fine since there wasnt really anything on it to begin with haha.

I'll see what I can come up with, but in the meantime, please keep brainstorming.

just my luck lol

-Adam
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 04:07:56 pm    Post subject:

I'm not deeply familiar with all of the older TI-82 shells, but it's very unlikely that any of the existing shells will work. That's because the addresses of system routines are slightly different in each version of the ROM. Most assembly programs use some system routines for doing things like reading the keypad and drawing on the screen; it's normally the shell's responsibility to translate system calls to the correct address. Most, if not all, shells also use a few system routines themselves. So the shell needs to be modified to use the correct addresses; exactly what that means depends on the shell.
AdamOrBud

Posted: 22 Aug 2010 04:12:52 pm    Post subject:

yeah....thats a bummer.
i bought this calculator specifically to run the things that my 83+ couldnt, and now im finding out it
cant even do what the other 82's do!

ah well...these things happen :P

thanks for the help though, man.
i really do appreciate it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement