This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Cemetech News and Announcements subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Announcements => Cemetech News and Announcements
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 02:28:31 am    Post subject:

Good Evening:

I am one of the three original founders of United-TI (http://unitedti.org). I go by NETWizz (used to go by Jbirky). I used to be an active developer i.e. TI-BASIC, Z80 Asm, & even a Flash Application as well as a high school & college student. Now, I have limited involvement and pretty much let the next generation take over as my career, family, and other obligations are now my focus. That said I still care a great deal about the happenings of the development community, and I am writing on behalf of some concerns that have recently been voiced on the of http://unitedti.org/ community forum in regards to the continued availability of the Ti-84+ SE and the programmability of the TI Nspire.

We at United-TI have been informed via our community members that the TI-84+ is not being discontinued, and the TI-84+ Silver Edition is not being discontinued in North American markets, but we would all like to know about the current production/manufacturing status & the changing production trends. Is the TI-84+ Silver Edition still being actively manufactured/produced, or is Texas Instruments merely unloading its stockpiles with no intent for replenishment of the supply of this particular model (TI-84+SE)?

Also, are there any plans to make the Nspire more friendly to the development community as a whole? As one of many communities I can honestly indicate our members have demonstrated a significant interest in programming the Nspire, with the powerful ARM architecture, and advanced mathematical functions only to be disappointed in that even the most trivial of commands: Input, Prompt, & GetKey are absent. Are there any plans to add this capability or is it deliberately absent in that the target customers are high school students and teachers instead of programmers & engineers? To us it does not make any sense to handicap a newer product. i.e. I personally own an 82, 83, 2x 83+, 83+SE, 84+, 84+SE, 86, 89, 89 Titanium, a 92+, & a Voyage 200. Obviously, I am one of your odd-ball customers for buying that many calculators, but you will notice the Nspire is sorely missing. Many of us feel this way. The only reason some of our members own an Nspire is because it is recommended by their school or it was an uninformed purchase.

Lastly, are there any new developments coming out? i.e. Any chance of a calculator with colored screen?

Please respond. Keep in mind a software fix for the Nspire would go a long way in showing commitment to the community of odd-ball people like me. If it is a concern about compliance with schools & standardized testing, it should be a simple matter to branch off having two OSes (one for students/testing & another for programmers/engineers). Surely there would also be an easy way to differentiate them such as that blinking LED light in the front to appease organizations such as the College Board...

I eagerly await your response, and I would like to give you the heads-up that I intend to post this response to the homepage of http://unitedti.org just to let you know, so please do not gloss-over or obfuscate your answers.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Justin (NETWizz, United-TI)
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 02:39:52 am    Post subject:

I don't have time to read it all right now, but a small correction would be that the TI-Nspire now has an Input function since OS 2.0. It still lacks Getkey, Output(), Text(), Line(), Horizontal, Vertical, Pixel-On/Off/Chg, Pt-On/Off and Circle usage inside TI-BASIC programs, though.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jan 2011 02:40:02 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 09:32:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks. I don't know all the specifics because I don't own one as mentioned. That said, they need to totally re-vamp it to support everything!
Xeda112358

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 11:29:24 am    Post subject:

Nice! I cannot wait for the reply. The engineer part might actually work. I know that even though I make games, most of my programs are designed to run complex algorithms or algorithms that are not supported as a regular command. Being able to do this on the NSpire--wich has a much faster processor-- would be very beneficial to my own studies and research.
Levak

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 12:29:28 pm    Post subject:

"We will process your request as soon as possible.
Thanks to wait a while.

TI-Cares"

isn't it ? Neutral
wjbudd

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 02:53:42 pm    Post subject:

This is going to be very educational. I would like to offer the following comments so that you won't be disappointed if you don't get an affirmative response. Any response that you get, and I expect you will get one, will be very indicative of the nature and character of the TI calculator organization. I expect the response will be polite but secretive and will avoid answering the questions and will certainly not make any commitments. Sort of a "Thank you for your inquiry. Your business is important to us and we will seriously consider your suggestions" which of course is nothing but bull shit. Keep in mind that this is sort of like asking a girl for a date. There is one way to say yes, and anything else means no, which is to say that if TI fails to indicate that they "will" make some of the programing improvements that the programing community needs, then its time to blow them off, ignore nspire, and get on with programing other calculators. As customers, there is no point in buying from a company who ignores our needs. So if it doesn't go well, keep in mind that we don't need nspire and most certainly a much better product will come along any way. Best Regards.

NETWizz wrote:

Good Evening:

I am one of the three original founders of United-TI (http://unitedti.org). I go by NETWizz (used to go by Jbirky). I used to be an active developer i.e. TI-BASIC, Z80 Asm, & even a Flash Application as well as a high school & college student. Now, I have limited involvement and pretty much let the next generation take over as my career, family, and other obligations are now my focus. That said I still care a great deal about the happenings of the development community, and I am writing on behalf of some concerns that have recently been voiced on the of http://unitedti.org/ community forum in regards to the continued availability of the Ti-84+ SE and the programmability of the TI Nspire.

We at United-TI have been informed via our community members that the TI-84+ is not being discontinued, and the TI-84+ Silver Edition is not being discontinued in North American markets, but we would all like to know about the current production/manufacturing status & the changing production trends. Is the TI-84+ Silver Edition still being actively manufactured/produced, or is Texas Instruments merely unloading its stockpiles with no intent for replenishment of the supply of this particular model (TI-84+SE)?

Also, are there any plans to make the Nspire more friendly to the development community as a whole? As one of many communities I can honestly indicate our members have demonstrated a significant interest in programming the Nspire, with the powerful ARM architecture, and advanced mathematical functions only to be disappointed in that even the most trivial of commands: Input, Prompt, & GetKey are absent. Are there any plans to add this capability or is it deliberately absent in that the target customers are high school students and teachers instead of programmers & engineers? To us it does not make any sense to handicap a newer product. i.e. I personally own an 82, 83, 2x 83+, 83+SE, 84+, 84+SE, 86, 89, 89 Titanium, a 92+, & a Voyage 200. Obviously, I am one of your odd-ball customers for buying that many calculators, but you will notice the Nspire is sorely missing. Many of us feel this way. The only reason some of our members own an Nspire is because it is recommended by their school or it was an uninformed purchase.

Lastly, are there any new developments coming out? i.e. Any chance of a calculator with colored screen?

Please respond. Keep in mind a software fix for the Nspire would go a long way in showing commitment to the community of odd-ball people like me. If it is a concern about compliance with schools & standardized testing, it should be a simple matter to branch off having two OSes (one for students/testing & another for programmers/engineers). Surely there would also be an easy way to differentiate them such as that blinking LED light in the front to appease organizations such as the College Board...

I eagerly await your response, and I would like to give you the heads-up that I intend to post this response to the homepage of http://unitedti.org just to let you know, so please do not gloss-over or obfuscate your answers.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Justin (NETWizz, United-TI)
Xeda112358

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 04:29:00 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

Keep in mind that this is sort of like asking a girl for a date.

Hey! That's not fair... Compairing TI to girls... that's just insulting!

But yeah, the community has been sending letters for years and we have been posting the results for years, too, so we are well prepared for the result (that is why so many members of the community have negative assumptions and feelings toward TI). I've seen a few posted results myself...
critor

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 05:01:16 pm    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

JBB wrote:

Insulting for TI or for the girls ? Razz
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 05:35:46 pm    Post subject:

critor wrote:

ThunderBolt wrote:

JBB wrote:

Ixnay on the exismsay. (ThunderBolt happens to be a girl...)
Xeda112358

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 06:24:28 pm    Post subject:

critor wrote:

ThunderBolt wrote:

JBB wrote:

Surprised
Oh, oh that's low! It's fine... I... I'll just go cry myself to sleep now
Razz

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jan 2011 06:24:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madskillz

Posted: 25 Jan 2011 10:09:05 pm    Post subject:

Goodluck getting any kind of useful response NetWizz. Especially on the development of a colored calc. :)

I would say its safe to say that understanding girls is about as hard as learning z80. It takes a long time, and just when you think you are getting a good grasp of things something comes up and causes the whole thing to crash. I would say those are my experiences at least ha. Very Happy But man it sure is fun trying though.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 03:01:27 pm    Post subject:

All I've ever needed is my 89Ti. That, and my $5 Sterling Precision slide rule. As to the whole 'girl' issue, it's been my experience that they are actual humans, and not some other species. Razz Heck, if you're a geek like me, then much of humanity makes less sense than you'd like, regardless of gender. All it takes is some dedication and patience to understand things. Or be lazy and get this. Okay, that last bit was a joke, but seriously, everything takes patience to understand, ESPECIALLY people.

The entire problem with the nSpire is that it's not meant as a tool. It's specifically designed for high school students, hence the pointless addition of a cursor-driven interface, the lack of programming capabilities, and a manual that doesn't tell you how to use the more advanced functions. The previous calculators, however superior they were in, um, almost every single way, did have a learning curve too steep for the average student to figure out on their own. Not that most of them really cared about learning to use their >$150 device, but they're the ones who make up 95% of the userbase.
critor

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 08:00:36 pm    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

critor wrote:

ThunderBolt wrote:

JBB wrote:

Surprised
Oh, oh that's low! It's fine... I... I'll just go cry myself to sleep now
Razz

Oh sorry, I just didn't mean it this way.
Xeda112358

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 08:06:07 pm    Post subject:

I know Razz I'm just picking on you. I actually reread it and realised I should have switched the "TI" and "girls" around, but I won't so that you don't look mean Neutral
wjbudd

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 05:37:52 am    Post subject:

The letter was sent 1/23. Assuming that means e-mail, sounds like TI may just ignore it. They have had all week to reply and now it is thursday.
Xeda112358

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 09:10:50 am    Post subject:

Eh, I bet it wouldn't be the first time, but maybe they are reviewing it?
wjbudd

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 02:07:07 pm    Post subject:

What's to review? The letter was perfectly clear. They either answer the questions honestly, or try to bull shit us, or they ignore us. I really don't expect the reply, if there is one, will offer any thing significant. From previous experience I would say that TI is well known for ignoring the customer. Back a few years ago when TI had a calculator site, people would routinely post questions of TI there and ti would routinely ignore them. It's important to keep in mind how they treat us when making your next calculator purchase.
Xeda112358

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 03:13:11 pm    Post subject:

Hmm. Again, TI is not a person. They usually respond, even if the response is denial. Right now, I am leaning about 55/45 in favor of a positive response (if I was a gambling person). I am sure that something like this would need a thought out response, again, even if the response is not in our favor.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 04:53:22 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

What's to review? The letter was perfectly clear. They either answer the questions honestly, or try to bull shit us, or they ignore us. I really don't expect the reply, if there is one, will offer any thing significant. From previous experience I would say that TI is well known for ignoring the customer. Back a few years ago when TI had a calculator site, people would routinely post questions of TI there and ti would routinely ignore them. It's important to keep in mind how they treat us when making your next calculator purchase.

From experience, they usually reply to you within 2-3 days to tell you your e-mail will be forwarded to the appropriate person, then a few days later (sometimes only one day afterward) you get a response that tries to ignore as many technical/curiosity questions as possible, so you end up having to insist so they give you the info, then after 2-3 attempts you finally get either the truth or a misleading answer from someone who has no clue what they are talking about.

Oh well, to the Nspire lack of third-party programmability support, failing to fix the 84+ bugs and the removal of the extra RAM page, maybe they'll reply with this: Razz
Quote:

Also there are chances that they won't reply with as much info just because you mentionned you planned to post the response in public. (Some people might see this as privacy invasion)

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2011 04:59:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
wjbudd

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 05:08:08 pm    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

Hmm. Again, TI is not a person. They usually respond, even if the response is denial. Right now, I am leaning about 55/45 in favor of a positive response (if I was a gambling person). I am sure that something like this would need a thought out response, again, even if the response is not in our favor.

If you were a gambling person, I'd take all your money! 55/45 is about right that there will be a response, but you can bet that TI will side step the questions. You forget that they are a very secretive company who uses spin to make up for lack of product capability. Just consider the b.s. that their calculators are educational devices. A device that gives answers without explanations is educational? Yeh sure and pigs have wings and fly in the night. Actually thats not true, but I will admit that there are "calculator dependent" math teachers who have to have nspire regardless of whether it is educational or not.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement