This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Deep Thought

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Apr 2011 07:20:22 pm    Post subject:

As some of you may know, I'm working on a clone (or something close) of Contra in Axe. Pretty far from being complete right now, but demo's up at http://clrhome.co.cc/projects/contra/screenshots/. I'll post more info tomorrow.

EDIT: Finally got around to posting this.

Bryan Thomas's Contra game is impressive as a BASIC program, but the fact is that TI-BASIC is too slow of a language to handle much more than that. So when I found out about [url="www.omnimaga.org/index.php?board=71.0"]Axe[/url], I thought: since this language is so much faster than BASIC and still makes it very easy to make graphical games, why not try it again? The original NES game was one of my favorite games ever made for that platform. If we could have something like that for the calculator, wouldn't that be awesome?

I'm still only starting on this thing, and there's a lot left to be done before I can release it as the final version I wanted to make, so it's going to take a while. I want to make this as close of a port as possible, if not a clone (some stuff might get left out, like the vertical and "3D" Contra levels). Right now it's planned as a single-player game (no Lance, sorry) with as many of the enemies, powerups, and other parts of the original gameplay as possible.

So far, you can run, jump, and fire as Bill. Swimming is implemented partially, but sprites haven't been changed to match (in the demo, you "walk" on the water). Rifle box enemies can fire at you but don't take damage yet, thought I've reserved data space for their health. Soldiers can spawn, run, and jump all right, but I managed to glitch up the soldier-spawning engine right before the demo was released, so you won't see it here. Sorry.

Level engine is also pretty complete, at least in tilemapping. I'm planning to have this support external level packs so I can keep the actual game as small as possible. External level support is still at nil because I'm planning to add that after I finish more important parts of the engine. In the demo you can see a sort of mock-up of the classic Contra level 1, minus soldiers, powerups, bosses, and some other stuff. When you get to the end of the level it just glitches. Still got a lot of work to do.

No idea when the final version's gonna be released. Sometime this year or the next.

NEWEST UPDATES:

Pre-alpha demo 1

Last edited by Guest on 22 Apr 2011 02:06:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
finisher

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 02:14:11 pm    Post subject:

Hmm....

Nobody's interested in this?
Xeda112358

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 02:38:01 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, was the screeny in the original post? The screeny looks quite awesome, by the way Smile
Madskillz

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 02:47:30 pm    Post subject:

No it's a great project and the demo is good for well a demo. Once DT gets the sprite masked and changes the bullets a bit this is gonna be really cool. I like how the game tells you that you suck when you die ha. I know that wont be in the final version, but still good for a laugh.
Deep Thought

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Apr 2011 02:48:01 pm    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

Hmm, was the screeny in the original post? The screeny looks quite awesome, by the way Smile

Nope, I edited the first post with a lot more info to avoid double-posting :)

Madskillz wrote:

No it's a great project and the demo is good for well a demo. Once DT gets the sprite masked and changes the bullets a bit this is gonna be really cool. I like how the game tells you that you suck when you die ha. I know that wont be in the final version, but still good for a laugh.

Yeah, I did that so I could keep on debugging after I died Razz

Last edited by Guest on 22 Apr 2011 02:50:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement