This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
mitchba12

Posted: 26 May 2011 05:26:20 pm    Post subject:

I just got Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional from Microsoft's Dreamspark program because I want to finally graduate from TI-BASIC. Since I like to program games, I just wanted to know which one was right for the job. I don't want to be confined to the command prompt window. (I'm quickly learning that C++ has that tendancy, but I may be wrong.) If anyone would be kind enough to point me to a tutorial of your preffered language, that would be awesome too.

Last edited by Guest on 26 May 2011 05:38:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 27 May 2011 10:56:52 am    Post subject:

Depends on what you're trying to do really. None of those languages actually "do" graphics, they can just interface with apis for graphics. C# and VB can interface really easily with all the .NET form libraries for creating traditional windows forms and drawing some basic graphics here and there on them. For real graphics, you would have to interface with something like OpenGL or DirectX, which is basically the same amount of work in any of those languages. For real graphics, C++ is better performance wise than C# or VB just because of the internal structure of the language and how it's built/linked.

Before you get into any real graphics, you're going to be mostly stuck with console based stuff and learning how the language works first, especially with C++.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 May 2011 02:03:49 pm    Post subject:

I've heard from the engineering community that C# is the best option to for .NET resources. In C++ you can do windows applications using forms or Windows MFC programming. Graphics-wise, I think all the high end stuff (graphing, 3D objects, lighting/shading is in OpenGL and DirectX.

USB is a little different. For the USB stuff I use, there's a company (FTDI) that offers a unique USB driver for their chips. Once you get the driver, you then download a .dll file for your C++ or VB.NET program to utilize. It's hard to say which is easier since they work through the same dll.
mitchba12

Posted: 02 Jun 2011 05:21:00 pm    Post subject:

Ok, thank you. I just made a small Windows application in C++ that includes a label and an "OK" button. Anyone know how to make the "OK" button function and do something other than look pretty? I've been serching online and I haven't been able to find anything useful. Could you at least recommend a website I could look up? If there's a website that is anything for C++ like TI-BASIC Developer, I'd like to know. Thanks!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jun 2011 11:31:23 pm    Post subject:

Sure. One thing you can do is double-click the button itself. This will open up the form.h file (substitute form1 for the form's name) and create a new function member called button1_Click. The code for the button click event can go inside the braces.

Right now, I'm learning from Ivor Horton's Beginning Visual C++ 2010 (about $35 on Amazon), and the Xoax.net tutorials on Youtube.

I could really use a tutorial on how to do openGL and graphing in C++.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jun 2011 11:34:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Jun 2011 01:22:11 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't really matter; since, you are going to need to call Direct X anyway...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement