DShiznit wrote:
Last time I checked they didn't let your house burn down because missed a payment on your taxes...

Clearly they do. Hence this forum thread. Smile
Then that's evil, and needs to end, and the people responsible need to be brought to justice. Even the IAF condemns this:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/10/feebased-fire-department-spurs-privatization-debate/
DShiznit wrote:
Then that's evil, and needs to end, and the people responsible need to be brought to justice. Even the IAF condemns this:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/10/feebased-fire-department-spurs-privatization-debate/
I don't know if this helps the debate at all, but from that article you'll note that the home in question was outside of the fire department's jurisdiction, and in fact in no particular fire department's jurisdiction, it sounds. Them coming out to the fire was more than they're required to do in any case, and it sounds like the $75 fee is for people who are not normally within their jurisdiction to be able to use the fire department's services. By extension, they had no obligation to come to the fire at all, it seems.
Then it's the government's responsibility to provide fire protection. What is this, Iraq?
DShiznit wrote:
Then it's the government's responsibility to provide fire protection. What is this, Iraq?

I'd like to know the federal law that mandates fire departments? I mean, I looked and I could come up with city mandates. But not much else. And if you don't live in a city. You are kinda boned. I mean, what about the people that live in the middle of nowhere where there's not a town for a hundred miles, I am sure no fire dept services them.
I'm sorry, I thought this was a civilized society that protected it's citizens.
well, even if they did not have too, is it really ok to just watch and enjoy a house burn down while you have the power to stop it?

thats like seeing a guy in the street with a knife in his arm and then just sit back and enjoy him DYING
qazz42 wrote:
well, even if they did not have too, is it really ok to just watch and enjoy a house burn down while you have the power to stop it?

thats like seeing a guy in the street with a knife in his arm and then just sit back and enjoy him DYING

Except THAT would be failing to save a person's life. Clearly the people were out of the house in this case. And yes, some pets died. That is indeed sad. But from all accounts I can find of this story. The house was engulfed before the fire dept even showed up to put out the neighbor's lawn.

Now, the fact that the dispatcher didn't send out the fire department when the initial call was placed is REALLY what you all need to be angry at. Because the 911 dispatcher is the person that calls the fire department out. So clearly there is more to the story than you and DShiznit are getting all flustered over.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours