Are you for or against the budget cuts?
For
 85%  [ 6 ]
Against
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Qwerty.55 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
The problem with cutting the Military is that it makes up very little of the total budget, so you piss off a lot of people without actually fixing the problem.

Very little? According to the 2012 Budget proposal, it makes up approximately 19.3% of the budget. The only allocated areas that get more money are Social Security and Health care, at around 20.0% and 22.6% respectively. That means that the military budget is 96.9% and 85.9% of the other two largest accounts. Perhaps I'm missing something, but if we can't cut from that apparently small portion of the total budget, I don't really see where it would be possible to significantly reduce spending at all.

That's why we need to float Social Security and Medicare. Or at least do what Cleveland does.

EDIT: I wonder how many of us are liberal/conservative.
Deep Thought: Usually programmers and tech savvy people sway more left, but we have quite a few right leaners also. Pretty balanced.
Deep Thought wrote:
That's why we need to float Social Security and Medicare. Or at least do what Cleveland does.

EDIT: I wonder how many of us are liberal/conservative.

We are talking about the federal budget, Cleveland does the same thing the rest of the country does.
Why not cut out all three, and shave government spending by over 60%? Then everyone wins! I can't see any possible downsides to that. Wink
Why not just get rid of the government? No taxes, no worries Razz
Yeah! Somalia is great this time of year!
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Deep Thought: Usually programmers and tech savvy people sway more left, but we have quite a few right leaners also. Pretty balanced.
We have surprisingly many right-leaning members, I've found; I expected the majority to be much more leftist.
KermMartian wrote:
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
We have surprisingly many right-leaning members, I've found; I expected the majority to be much more leftist.

Depends on where you draw your center. Nowadays, in order to run for office as a Republican you need to essentially want to abolish almost everything and send government back to the 1890s. I don't think anyone here is that crazy.
DShiznit wrote:
Depends on where you draw your center. Nowadays, in order to run for office as a Republican you need to essentially want to abolish almost everything and send government back to the 1890s. I don't think anyone here is that crazy.

I voted Ron Paul as a write-in for the 2008 election. So yes, some of us are Wink

Also, I think we tend to be more on the progressive/libertarian spectrum rather than the traditional democrat/republican spectrum.
elfprince13 wrote:
I voted Ron Paul as a write-in for the 2008 election.

In other words, you threw your vote away like a month-old chicken-cheese sandwich.
I don't see very many "The type of people who want to be in office generally aren't the type of people who should be in office, so let's just elect the guy who will do the least harm" people around here either. Yes, I'm still optimistic that eventually the parties will realize that politicians are paid to be uninformed policy makers who don't qualify as experts in the vast majority of the fields that they regulate. This would hopefully lead them to nominate people who know absolutely nothing, rather than people with just enough ideological misinformation to be dangerous.
Qwerty.55 wrote:
I don't see very many "The type of people who want to be in office generally aren't the type of people who should be in office, so let's just elect the guy who will do the least harm" people around here either. Yes, I'm still optimistic that eventually the parties will realize that politicians are paid to be uninformed policy makers who don't qualify as experts in the vast majority of the fields that they regulate. This would hopefully lead them to nominate people who know absolutely nothing, rather than people with just enough ideological misinformation to be dangerous.

I disagree only because, like George Carlin, I am a fan of social entropy...
KermMartian wrote:
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:

I'm generally a right-leaner myself. I voted against just because my dad doesn't have a job anymore. I'm all for anywhere else though! Razz
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:

Something to do with calculators?
Deep Thought wrote:
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:

Something to do with calculators?
What do you mean? That having calculators is a prerequisite for leaning left, that left-leaners are more likely to have calculators or be more educated, or something else?
That calculators somehow pushed us right? The Internet in general seems to be mostly either leftist or libertarian.
Deep Thought wrote:
That calculators somehow pushed us right? The Internet in general seems to be mostly either leftist or libertarian.
I think it could perhaps be that use of calculators is a general trait of students nation-wide, whereas the statement of opinions on the internet is generally separate from a true passion for technology. I could be totally off-base, though.
Across the country as a whole, the liberal/conservative split is usually pretty even, but Democrats are (with few exceptions) concentrated in urban areas where access to technology is also going to be greater. TI calculators have pretty good market penetration even in areas that do not have widespread access to computers and Internet technology.
Indeed, that's more or less what I was bumbling around trying to get at, and I definitely agree.
adept wrote:
I'm generally a right-leaner myself. I voted against just because my dad doesn't have a job anymore. I'm all for anywhere else though! Razz

Against trimming the fat when it's your fat being trimmed, but for it when it only affects others livelihood, interesting political policy there. I sure hope you can't vote yet...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours