I'm doing a research report on Bill Gates. The prompt is:
This person has been placed on a list of the top 100 most influential people of all time. Write a research report justifying why they should be on that list, or a report explaining why they should be removed from that list.
I took the stand of removal. I decided that Bill Gates was just a not(c) pirate that steals things from other people. So, these are the quotes from various encyclopedias, articles, and other places that are my evidence against him. (NO Wikipedia.)

Subtopic 1) His accomplishments:
"In developing Windows, Microsoft signed an agreement with Apple that Windows 1.0 would not use Macintosh technology. When future versions of Windows did utilize Macintosh ideas, Apple took Microsoft to court for copying the "look and feel" of the Macintosh." #2
"between 1985 and 1987 Microsoft and IBM collaborated on creating a new OS. Microsoft pulled out of the collaboration and released Windows 3.0 based on technology that had been developed jointly. IBM continued working on the new OS and released OS/2 in 1987. Although it was a technologically advanced system, it was not a great commercial success. " #2
"In 1980, an American computer programmer named Tim Paterson (1956-) developed an OS termed 86-DOS (Disk Operating System.)" #2
"Microsoft had bought all the rights to DOS."#2
2) The way he treats his competitors
"A new model, Lisa, was offered in 1983 for business people with few computer skills, but it could not compete with lower-priced machines from IBM. By this time, Apple had lost half of its market share to IBM. "#3
"In 1976, American businessman Steve Jobs (1955-) and American computer engineer Steve Wozniak (1950-) designed and built the Apple I, which consisted of little more than a circuit board. However, by 1977 they had incorporated Apple Computer (now known as Apple, Inc.) and announced the Apple II, which established a benchmark for PCs. The Apple II had a simple OS that came on a disk and accepted basic commands from a command line. In the same year, American businessmen Bill Gates (1955-) and Paul Allen (1953-) founded Microsoft Corporation. "#2
"During the Super Bowl in January 1984, Apple, Inc. introduced America to a completely innovative computer in an Orwellian-themed advertisement. The Macintosh was the first commercially successful computer with a graphical user interface (GUI). The GUI style of OS allowed users to interact with the computer through click buttons, pull-down menus, and other image options on the screen rather than through a command line. In addition to the graphical interface, the Macintosh had more advanced hardware than IBM-style PCs." #2
"For $205 million, Microsoft received a 5 percent stake in Apple" #4
"In 1980, IBM hired Microsoft to develop a computer language and operating system for its new line of minicomputers, which were introduced to the public in 1981 as the IBM Personal Computer. In 1997, Microsoft was ordered to make Windows 95 available without the Internet Explorer application. The argument was that by automatically including Internet Explorer on Windows 95, Microsoft was using its monopoly of the PC OS market to destroy competition in other markets, such as Internet software. Microsoft appealed the order. An appeal court ruled that the 1995 injunction did not apply to Windows 98, released in 1998." #2
"Forming a partnership called Microsoft, Gates and Allen entered a contract with MITS regarding the Altair computer. Under the contract, Roberts retained rights to sell the hardware, or physical parts of the computer, and could use and market the BASIC software with it. Microsoft retained ownership of the computer language and software. This relationship between a software developer and a hardware manufacturer became a model for future software licensing agreements. "#4
"By 1991, Microsoft provided the operating systems for about 90 percent of the world's personal computers. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and then the U.S. Department of Justice opened investigations of Microsoft as a possible monopoly (a company that maintains an exclusive right to produce a particular product or service by unduly hampering its competition). To settle, Microsoft agreed to make it easier for personal computer makers to install its rivals’ software. "

Do you guys think this is evidence enough to have Bill Gates removed from the list of most influential people of all time?

(If you guys really want to see my sources, here they are. (Just so I don't get blamed for plaugerizin' or nothin'))

"William Henry Gates, III." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Mar. 2011.

"The Development of Computer Operating Systems." Science and Its Times. Ed. Neil Schlager and Josh Lauer. Vol. 7. Detroit: Gale, 2009. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Mar. 2011.

"Steve Jobs." Newsmakers. Detroit: Gale, 2000. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Mar. 2011.

"Personal Computers." U*X*L Encyclopedia of U.S. History. Sonia Benson, Daniel E. Brannen, Jr., and Rebecca Valentine. Ed. Lawrence W. Baker and Sarah Hermsen. Vol. 6. Detroit: UXL, 2009. 1222-1228. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Mar. 2011.
Well, all your points on him being a pirate, crook and thief are legitimate, but does that make him any less influential? He is still one of the richest men alive, more than 80% of the computer using world uses the software his company makes and he pretty much has the clout in the computing world to kill or pass any idea. I mean, he is influential. None of us are saying he is a good programmer or not a thief, but he is very influential.
There aren't enough dollar signs in your spelling of Microsoft for this to be a truly convincing argument.

For example, you mention that 'Apple took Microsoft to court for copying the "look and feel" of the Macintosh' - without mentioning the crucial detail that Apple lost the lawsuit, and almost ended up getting sued by Xerox themselves in a dismissed lawsuit. I don't see how Microsoft buying the rights to DOS makes any difference to whether Bill Gates is notable or not; as for most of the rest of the list, I don't really see how it impacts on Bill Gates or not (for example, a lengthy review of the Macintosh doesn't really say anything about him). The one thing you can pin on Microsoft is the abuse of their monopoly position.

Quite aside from his role at Microsoft, have you taken his philanthropy into consideration?
The point your argument seems to be trying to make is that Bill Gates ripped things off from other people. Even if it's true, it has no relevance to the status of "influential," which is independent of what he may have actually done. You can prove people are complete jerks, but that doesn't prove that they're not influential.
Yeah, I was about to mention how Xerox was actually the company who came up with the mouse-based GUI idea in the first place. Smile I think you've done a good job of proving him a cutthroat businessman in your first post, but I'm not convinced yet that he's not influential from that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours