foamy3 wrote:
Thanks! I actually co-founded and coached the improv team. We did shows every other week. I just graduated, so I'm really excited to come back next semester and see what the shows look like from the audience perspective. Smile
That sounds like fun! I enjoy attending my high school's annual plays, especially the musicals, where I can enjoy the performance instead of worrying about being on stage crew.
Okay, so I discussed things with a counselor and she said I need to narrow my stretch schools down to 3, and only apply to those 3. I guess I can see her reasoning (lot of money, time, effort to fill out all the applications), but I'm not sure if I should risk only applying to 3 schools of 9-14% acceptance rates because I really don't want to be forced to go to my local public university (not that it's bad, because it's actually pretty nice, I just want to go to something bigger).

Should I only apply to 3 stretch schools (if I don't mind the time/effort in applying for more, can I without it hurting my overall chances like my counselor seemed to allude to)?
Apply to every school in the top 500 list.
Yeah, I definitely agree with your guidance counselor, Beta7. Surely there's a compromise of decent state schools between your local public university and your stretch schools, no?
Beta7 wrote:
Okay, so I discussed things with a counselor and she said I need to narrow my stretch schools down to 3, and only apply to those 3. I guess I can see her reasoning (lot of money, time, effort to fill out all the applications), but I'm not sure if I should risk only applying to 3 schools of 9-14% acceptance rates because I really don't want to be forced to go to my local public university (not that it's bad, because it's actually pretty nice, I just want to go to something bigger).

Should I only apply to 3 stretch schools (if I don't mind the time/effort in applying for more, can I without it hurting my overall chances like my counselor seemed to allude to)?

You should apply to at least 1 "safety" school just in case (for whatever reason) you can't go to one of your "stretch" schools.
Ultimate Dev'r, I do plan on applying for my local state university as my safety school. Wink

Kerm, the "local" school statement was misleading I think; it would be the main public university in the state (and in my opinion the only one worth going to). There a couple private universities nearby, but I've only looked into 1 of them (and it didn't offer my major). I'll check up on the other decent schools when a computer is available.
Beta7, is it the state school, like U of State? I look forward to hearing your further progress on the college search.
University of Idaho.
allynfolksjr wrote:
University of Idaho.

Didn't you go to the South Harmon Institute of Technology?
Something like that.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
University of Idaho.

Lulz, I get it
Awesome movie.
KermMartian wrote:
Beta7, is it the state school, like U of State? I look forward to hearing your further progress on the college search.

Yes; my state has 3 (UNKearney, UNOmaha, UNLincoln), though UNL is the main/most "prestigious" out of the 3.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
University of Idaho.

Eh, I didn't think that was a superb movie; maybe I'm just not crazy about him as an actor. Anyway, Beta7, sounds good then, so do you have your list of schools, or are you still adjusting it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours