You clearly don't know your history here, the 82 and 85 only had asm due to US finding exploits. And on the 86 all we got were some headers. The 68k and 83+ SDK's were all we got from them and even those were intended to be used for Paid apps. Half the fun of programming calculators is the challenge. Anyone can throw a cheesy Java Android program together but us calc programmers were a rare breed looking to push an obscure platform to its limits and w sure as heck did.

The whole point is to do things with calculators no one has thought was possible and the Nspire is just the next target. Lua or not our community is known for taking our little calculators and doing the impossible with them. I don't know about you but I sure plan on continuing to do that. Whether TI likes it or not. Who cares if they like it or not, I sure as heck don't, I'll keep doing cool things with my calculator.
I keep doing cool things too, I get your point loud and clear. However, realize how much more work it is to do something on the new Nspires as compared to the Prizm. Much more work than the 82, the 85, the 86, all of that. We have 3 years of anti-third-party blocking software against us, and now we are left with a programming language that would even allow us to hack at all. Feel free to choose to stay with TI. You can go ahead, I'm sure as hell not.
Then allow me to call you wimp. Getting ASM running on the 82 and 85 was actually a rather daunting task. I don't know the details but I know hacked backup files were involved in order to get shell's shimmed onto the calcs. From there it was rather easy yes but that initial work was far from easy to figure out what was needed. TI might be working to block out exploits and limit what we can do but personally I view that as a challenge to be overcome not a threat to back away from. What TI or Casio do is up to them as long as I can exploit their hardware to do my bidding. They are giving us an inch and I am sure the Lua programers and Ndless people will take it and go a mile. That is what makes our community great. Saying you only want to use the Prizm because it is easier is the exact opposite of what I feel we should be doing.

To quote JFK calculator programers do things "not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too."
Well, if you want to insult my courage with hacking, go ahead. I truly don't feel like hacking something to get C or assembly support. You've proven to be decent at it. You go ahead and do it if you like, I'll have no part as I find it tedious and pressurized due to possible legal trouble like TI-BANK recieved for making OSLauncher. It's still probably possible to hack their calculators, but why? We have one open, the Prizm.

If you think that chilling for a minute or two and actually programming on the newly-opened is not what we should be after, then there goes a ton of wasted effort from people including yourself. I indeed want to use it because it is easier, I'm not a programming super-literate, especially with lower-level languages which hacking will require knowledge of. So, call me wimp all you like, I'm here to have fun programming what I feel like it when I feel like it whatever I feel like making.
One of the things us programmers have to think about is how many people are going to actually use the programs we write. If no one is using it, then there is no point in programming for that platform. I personally support the Nspire hacking more than Prizm development even though I like the Prizm more as a calculator. Why? Because compared to the Nspire series of calculators, the Prizm won't have very many users. Schools and teachers support TI calculators, and I doubt they will change their minds soon. Since most of the people using our programs are students in school, they would probably be using the Nspire, not the Prizm. If we want to continue as calculator programmers, we have to find a way to hack the Nspire so we can create better programs than what Lua and Nspire-BASIC allows.
I like your argument, Souvik, but I'm personally the opposite: I program entirely for recreation (most of the time) and if less people play my calculator games, the better, there's a less chance they'll tell their friends "d00d l00k wat eye m4de in TI-JAVASCRIPT"

Another thing we're here for besides quoting marred motivational JKF quotes is to program for fun. Barely anyone uses our software anyways, why don't we at least to try enjoy what we make ourselves?
TheStorm wrote:
JosJuice wrote:
Something I'm wondering about is why they chose to add a 0D compression requirement in 3.0.2, blocking all of our Lua programs, but then give us a method to create 0D-compressed files so that we can use Lua again...

Two reasons, they most likely intended to do so from the start to reduce file size and it makes it harder for us to view the source to their programs. If they plam to have for pay app like the 83+ series they need to make it so we can't just look at the source. Even if you don't agree with them sell programs for calculators you can't blame them for protecting their code.
All documents created by TI, and documents created by the Nspire (including the computer software) have been 0D-compressed, so the files were smaller, and their code was protected (but not our code, which wasn't 0D-compressed). What they did in 3.0.2 was to block all files that weren't 0D-compressed.
Quote:
You go ahead and do it if you like, I'll have no part as I find it tedious and pressurized due to possible legal trouble like TI-BANK recieved for making OSLauncher.

Technically, OSLauncher was not made by TI-Bank but by myself, as an independent reimplementation of the showcased, but never released, RunOS Wink

But the TI-Bank - OSLauncher shortcut is valid enough, given that:
* TI-Bank's april fools video was the trigger for me to work on OSLauncher;
* critor's tutorial for using the CAS OS on the non-CAS Nspire, posted to TI-Bank, greatly improved the visibility and usefulness of OSLauncher.
I think we should at least give them a chance, if they continue to block ndless and other programs, then we should continue our dislike for them.
They're clearly going to continue to block Ndless, I have no doubts on that score. I think that we're actually talking about two different things that we want from calculators: programming abilities, wherein we can write and execute arbitrary programs, which TI seems to actually be starting to cater to for the Nspire. The other thing is full control over a powerful calculator, which TI does not offer, and which I'm starting to think that TI is not the right place to look for.
It isn't a bad compromise to be able to have real programming if not complete control - though the latter is certainly preferable. Given what we've done with 83+ basic, I'm excited to see what Lua brings on a more powerful platform.
I still have a problem with a company telling me what I can and cannot do with an item I PAID FOR.
Ashbad wrote:
I keep doing cool things too, I get your point loud and clear. However, realize how much more work it is to do something on the new Nspires as compared to the Prizm. Much more work than the 82, the 85, the 86, all of that. We have 3 years of anti-third-party blocking software against us, and now we are left with a programming language that would even allow us to hack at all. Feel free to choose to stay with TI. You can go ahead, I'm sure as hell not.

Good for you Ashbad! It takes courage to stick to your moral convictions, and it takes wisdom to take the right road at a junction in your life. Folks, make no mistake about it Casio could have come out with a new OS and treated us the same horrible way that ti has treated this group for years, but they (Casio) choose not to. That should tell you a lot about those two companies.

I hear some people justifying the poor way ti treats others as a business decision, as if business decisions can not be morally wrong. They can and often are. It is one thing for a company to make a reasonable profit. It is quite a different thing for a company to be so greedy that they don't treat people the way they want to be treated. That by definition is evil and those who support that behavior need to understand that ti has not only treated this group horribly for the last few years, but will likely do so again, just as soon as it suits their financial interests.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours