KermMartian wrote:
And Hays was a "programming group" of trolls who produced obviously low-quality ripoff games and/or fake, nonexistent games. I think facing them was the one time the calculator community really united itself.

I would submit the key factoring was another time the community united. That applied to all calculator models, not just the Z80 or 68K series, and even brought in people from outside the calculator community that just wanted to help make it happen, even with little or no understanding of what it was.
qazz42 wrote:
I think that, also, hays games stole some game called "Gold Tetris" (or something like that ) and accused the original programmer of Gold Tetris of stealing it from Hays Games

also http://www.oocities.org/haysgames/fanmail.html fascinating what google reveals.

EDIT: Seems Tetris Gold was actually zTetris O_o that is just silly.
What did happen to them anyways?

From some of the stuff they did and said, I think it's possible they were simply trolling the community and raised attention just for the fun of it and to watch people react. Once things died down, they probably lost interest and moved on.
Maybe GOD decided they were unworthy to live. Smile

Wow, this is getting incredibly off-topic.
Ashbad wrote:

Are you trying to troll the topic? Because that feels like a pretty obvious religion troll. Let's let this topic die unless someone has something to add that is on-topic.
KermMartian wrote:
Ashbad wrote:

Are you trying to troll the topic? Because that feels like a pretty obvious religion troll. Let's let this topic die unless someone has something to add that is on-topic.

Not at all. Referring to this attempt by the guy who made NBA Jam to troll Hays out of existence: http://fryedsoft.bluecrimson.com/rants/hays.htm

With that, I have nothing else useful to add.
Ah, I had forgotten about that, thanks for reminding me. Smile
Heh, not to derail this topic further, but that was a really cool link, Elfprince Very Happy
_player1537 wrote:
Heh, not to derail this topic further, but that was a really cool link, Elfprince Very Happy

What link was that? I don't see it.
Wait wait wait, did I read this right? There are actually people whose lives are meaningless enough that they actually will copy and take credit for someone else's tiny little novelty program?
_player1537: what link?
DShiznit: yes. You are correct.
DShiznit, they also tried to sue the origional programmer for stealing "their" idea. a, more google searches revels so much, these guys are freaking idiots...
Oops, I should have been saying "Ashbad", sorry Elfprince.
DShiznit wrote:
Wait wait wait, did I read this right? There are actually people whose lives are meaningless enough that they actually will copy and take credit for someone else's tiny little novelty program?

Yes, I had some loser a long time ago copy http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/230/23047.html and merely change the name of the game inside the game, but left all the file names intact. They even put in the description that I had stolen the game from them and how horrible of a person I was, when the date on my game was a good 2 years older than his newly uploaded file.
Wait, I was under the impression that all this happened a few years ago, but that time would put it as few as 2 months!
willrandship wrote:
Wait, I was under the impression that all this happened a few years ago, but that time would put it as few as 2 months!

The file might have been updated, which I think my change the date posted.
qazz42 wrote:
DShiznit, they also tried to sue the origional programmer for stealing "their" idea. a, more google searches revels so much, these guys are freaking idiots...
That's inaccurate. They were skilled trolls, not idiots.
According to some things I found on the archive site, they had actual plans sue someone, I think they are pretty stupid to even consider that taking legal action would work out for them >.>
How this that come from a topic about me to Hays? Shock (EDIT inserted here: At least I'm happy the topic change was not due to people comparing me to them Shock)

Anyway Hays was around from 1998 to 2006. I still remember their ProBoards, their many versions of their Geocities including the late 04 one with an adult banner, The crappy Halo 83 that got deleted from CalcGames and the 2005 petition to get them to leave (started by them?). I also remember some their slogan that looked like "The Games that Bill Nagel Stole from us". The programs theft was behind my time, though.

THey annoyed some people in their early days, but entertained others in the latters.
DJ_O wrote:
How this that come from a topic about me to Hays? Shock (EDIT inserted here: At least I'm happy the topic change was not due to people comparing me to them Shock)

Anyway Hays was around from 1998 to 2006. I still remember their ProBoards, their many versions of their Geocities including the late 04 one with an adult banner, The crappy Halo 83 that got deleted from CalcGames and the 2005 petition to get them to leave (started by them?). I also remember some their slogan that looked like "The Games that Bill Nagel Stole from us". The programs theft was behind my time, though.

THey annoyed some people in their early days, but entertained others in the latters.

you brought hays up Smile

and you compared them to you XD

but yeah I get your point

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours