:: A brief description of the goals of the project
Goal 1: To produce an extreme accurate web-based timer to the end of period/lunch (and possibly end of day).

Goal 2 (Depending on the success of Goal 1): Deploy timer to DEC approved website for widespread use.

:: A mention of what's already done, and what's still to come
Initial MySQL based timescheldule done, about 30% done.

Why?:

Our school uses really confusing time slots. "Warning bell" for Rollcall goes at 8:38, Roll Call starts at 8:40, end at 8:45 (That's where the predictability ends). Each period goes for 52 exact minutes and there are 3 periods in the morning followed by 30 minutes of Lunch 1, 2 more periods, 30-minutes of Lunch 2 then 1 more period and then ending the day at 2:59PM (Yes, not 3PM, 2:59PM).

This pattern is used on Monday, Thursday and Friday. Tuesday uses 3-1-1 and Wednesday uses 3-1-Sport (~2 periods)

As you can tell, it's quite hard to tell when the period is over (Besides lunches), although I do have a LucasLabs patented time telling mechanism, you take the end of the last period and go back 2 hand spots and that is about 2-3 minutes off from the end of the period (Fast or slow). But even my system isn't perfect as sometimes you need to go forward 1 clockspace and then go back 2 and sometimes only going back 2 is required.

What needs to be done: MySQL database of bell times need to be finished off (There is a sheet which has all times on it but I have no idea where mine is). PHP script needs to be made to grab the user's (Or server's?) day and time to determine what period it is and how long to the end of it. Also needs to allow a time modifier to allow to sync to the School bell system.
Yeesh, that sounds like a pain-in-the-neck time division system. This sounds like a fairly fun and directly-useful project; I look forward to seeing what comes out of it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours