Well, due to a few reason most of you know about (those who don't, don't worry about it or ask please) PrizmCity is likely not going to be having a chance in winning the rest of the Omnimaga contest. However, I'm going to still work on it in full force again.
Ashbad wrote:
Well, due to a few reason most of you know about (those who don't, don't worry about it or ask please) PrizmCity is likely not going to be having a chance in winning the rest of the Omnimaga contest. However, I'm going to still work on it in full force again.
I'm very happy to hear that you'll be hard at work on it, regardless of how it's received for contests.
Well, apparently it's still in for the contest after all, but the drive is now switched anyways to be more of a personal project than a rushed entry; hence, development will cease to be 4 hours a day, and more reasonably lower to an hour at most. It also means I'm more likely to want to finish it.

Anyways, a few things that have to be done (filled boxes ( [o] ) are already done):

[o] -- do one final touch up to map generation to stop getting overlapping garbage lakes in high altitude conditions, and to make preset seeding independent of the 'density' parameter, and make it rather solely dependent on the 'variance' factor
[o] -- get rid of fancy 'about screen' and replace with my custom text box routine, reducing size by about 160K
[o] -- get saving/loading data working
[o] -- fix HUD nuances that look ugly
[ ] -- building utilities
[ ] -- population seeding
[ ] -- road networking (auto and manual)
[ ] -- taxes/ordinances/laws
[ ] -- statistic bookkeeping and presentation
[ ] -- desirability factorization
[ ] -- crime, disaster, health, education factors
[ ] -- some more stuff, I don't like adding things to my already long list :/

As you can see, I really am behind Sad
Behind what? As long as progress is going forward and you're still having fun, I see no problem. I'd be sure to not let it fall to the wayside, though; we have far too many inherited members who haven't finished enough of their (many) projects. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
Behind what? As long as progress is going forward and you're still having fun, I see no problem. I'd be sure to not let it fall to the wayside, though; we have far too many inherited members who haven't finished enough of their (many) projects. Wink

I've noticed that not many projects are getting finished these days. By "behind", I guess I just wanted to get this rolling a lot sooner than it's been progressing. But, I must digress, as long as I finish then it I'm going to be good in my book, and obviously good in yours as well Smile

Hopefully, *just* focusing on this will help some. I tried doing multiple projects at once before, and while is seems like a good system, I personally get sidetracked making one perfect and never work on the others. Plus, posting mockups and concepts actually helps me get feedback on thoughts and improvements, and gives me motivation to work harder towards a visualized final product. Some people don't like it when I do it, but that's too bad, it's rather helpful, and as long as not *everything* in a long period of time in concept, then it's helpful.

With that being said, I'm working on it right now Laughing

EDIT: Now, the size is more reasonable with the 'About' screen gone; from well over 500K to 349K. Smile
That's what happens when you cut out giant bitmaps, even if they're in low-color format. Very Happy I'm still waiting for some kind of RLE compression / decompression routine for the Prizm if you or anyone happens to make one, come to think of it. Multiple projects at once definitely has a lot of bad sides in terms of dividing your focus so much that nothing gets done, even if it helps you in the short term by giving you something to keep working on even if you get stuck on one project.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours