I have been trying to learn, how to program a raycaster, but it has evaded me. If you know a good tutorial, or you know how to program one, Please post back. I would appreciate it if you did. Thanks.
There isn't a tutorial on how to do it in Axe, but you can find them in C, Java, C++, QBasic, etc, etc. After you understand the source code of those, you can try to port it to Axe. Writing a raycaster is a difficult task (imho). I've been wanting to write my own from scratch for a couple years, and still haven't accomplished it. Depending on how well you know Axe, you may want to start with a smaller project.
I do know axe very well, haven't got any great axe projects out there but working on Condor. I will look at the code in C++ perhaps.
zeldaking wrote:
I do know axe very well, haven't got any great axe projects out there but working on Condor. I will look at the code in C++ perhaps.

Look at C code, to make sure you don't get into Object Oriented stuff. Plain old C can translate rather nicely to Axe; it's one of the few languages that can. Don't worry, I *doubt* you'll find a shortage of Normal C implementations/tutorials on raycasting. Smile
A popular tutorial is Permadi's Ray-Casting Tutorial For Game Development And Other Purposes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours