Hello everyone, do you know how to display a complex variable on the graph screen ? (TI-Basic)
The Text( command returns each time an error ARGUMENT.
If you mean complex you mean an Imaginary number right? Been awhile since i have used them so not positive, if so its
a+bi in the mode menu. If not well, i will keep looking. Very Happy
Sadly, Aes_Sedia5's solution does not work. You must do this:

Code:
Text(X,Y,real(N),"+",imag(N),"i")
yes, imaginary numbers.

I'm sorry, even with a+bi mode, the error is still here.

(And I can't use "real" and "imag" to display the number in two parts, because I'm using Symbolic so the "real" command is not working.)
persalteas wrote:
yes, imaginary numbers.

I'm sorry, even with a+bi mode, the error is still here.

(And I can't use "real" and "imag" to display the number in two parts, because I'm using Symbolic so the "real" command is not working.)
Oh. Then you have a bit of a problem. I didn't think that Symbolic blocked the use of the real() command for its normal function. Well, why not use conj() to fake the real() command?

Code:
real(X) == (X+conj(X))/2
Aes_Sedia5 wrote:
If you mean complex you mean an Imaginary number right?

No. A complex number is one with both real and imaginary components. An imaginary number has no real component.
^^ I meant that, but thanks.
Thanks I will try with conj(.

I thought Symbolic disabled the command...I didn't even try.
It may work If you tell that it works Very Happy

Thanks again.
Also, maybe you could do imag(iX to get the real part?

real(x) = imag(ix)
imag(x)=-real(ix)
Xeda112358 wrote:
Also, maybe you could do imag(iX to get the real part?

real(x) = imag(ix)
imag(x)=-real(ix)
I'm not sure why you're negating the real() term there; I disagree with that bit, but otherwise that seems accurate. And that's even smaller than my conj() solution!
Say X=3+2i and you want to use real() to get the imaginary part. Multiply by i and you get:

3i+2i2=3i-2

real(3i-2)=-2, so you need to negate it. Sine and cosine tend to do this stuff a lot, too, so you have to be careful to remember these nuances x.x
Ah, of course, I can't believe I spaced on the fact that an i^2 term would appear. Thanks for the clarification.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours