Hello all,

Here lies my guide to viewing .tig files without bloatware or dependencies. If you didn't already know, .tig files are used and created by the TI-Connect software, mainly for (re)storing backups and such.

Step 1: Locate the .tig file.

Step 2: Right click on the .tig file, and click "Rename" on the menu that opens up.

Step 3: Locate the file extension of the .tig - the ".tig" part. Change it to ".zip".

Note: If you do not see the ".tig" part of the file, you may need to change your settings. In Windows 7, explorer settings can be found under Organize > Folder and search options:

EDIT: Woah! That's huge!

Then, in the window that shows up, head to the View tab, and deselect "Hide extensions for known file types":

(Sorry for the horrible drawing!)

Step 4: Once you have renamed the file, you're done! You can now use Windows Explorer's .zip viewing ability or any other 3rd party program that accepts .zips (For example, WinRar or 7-zip) to work with your .tig.

Enjoy!
techboy6601 wrote:
You can now use Windows Explorer's .zip viewing ability or any other 3rd party program that accepts .zips (For example, WinRar or 7-zip) to work with your .tig.

If you have 7-Zip installed then you can right-click any file and select 7-Zip->Open archive. I think WinRAR does something similar, but I'm a cheapskate and prefer freeware. Smile
My life is saved.
Benryves, by the way, while the website says WinRAR is a trial, it was so badly coded that the trial actually never expires. So it's freeware, basically.
techboy6601 wrote:
Benryves, by the way, while the website says WinRAR is a trial, it was so badly coded that the trial actually never expires. So it's freeware, basically.

It's shareware. If you use it beyond the end of the trial period you should pay for it; that you can easily continue to use the software beyond this does not make it freeware.
techboy6601 wrote:

There's no reason to ever install WinRAR or WinZip. Go get 7zip. It's free, and it's loads better functionality wise.
The simple form of this topic is simply "rename to .zip". Smile I hope that you all already have extensions enabled, and I think disabling extensions by default was a poor decision on Microsoft's part. Thanks for posting this, techboy, and do indeed install 7zip.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours