I found my old HP200LX and got it out and had some fun.
I got the specs on it
Hardware-
CPU: Intel 80186 7.91 Mhz
RAM: 1 to 4 MB of memory, of which 640 KB is RAM and the rest can be used for expanded memory (EMS) or memory-based storage space.
Ports-
16 bit Type II PCMCIA Slot x1
Serial Port x1
SIR compatible Infrared Transceiver x1
Battery charging port +(-)
Screen-
CGA Compatible 4 shade grayscale 640x200 screen (No Backlight)
Software-
HP LX Palmtop Software
DOS 5.0
BASIC Interpreter (Select models i think, mine has it but my friends does not Sad )
Lotus 1-2-3 Spreadsheet
Lotus cc:Mail
Calculator (Math, Equation solver and many many more functions. Probably graphing too.)
Hearts and Bones
Lair of Squid
Power-
Requires 2 AA batteries to run (With options to use Rechargeable or Alkaline or even a Power Supply.

The HP 200LX can run virtually any program that would run on a full-size PC compatible computer as long as the code is written for the Intel 8086, 8088 or 80186 CPU and can run using CGA graphics. It can also run programs written for the 80286 CPU, provided they do not require the use of protected memory.

Pictures:

Left Side

Left Side with PCMCIA removed

Front

Right Side IR Port (Black) Serial port and Power Supply Port +(-)
What a cutie! Wink

Sounds like you should be able to do some fun programming projects with it!
Nice. It doesn't even have the crack on the right hand side of the display that my 100lx developed. There were some cool programs available from Japan that were optimized for the 100/200, here are the bookmarks I have that are still valid

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA014919/soft/index.htm
http://www.ccdominoes.com/hplx/
Nice Programs rfdave. The crack yours has developed is cause by the poor flow of the plastic mold that over time and heavy use develops a crack and under stress can fail, causing the spring loaded components inside to fly out. It can be fixed using a very small silicon injector and flowing silicon into the crack, that's how my friend fixed the crack on his.
That is one awesome calculator. Does it still work? Does it have the ability to run off batteries, or is it a battery pack like some of the newer calcs that are coming out are?
I'm jealous. I may try and find one on the market now, if just to own an hp calculator.

Sadly, I think it may be an upgrade from my current laptop...
Tom, this is a great little device, thanks for sharing! I would finally have something to code x86 ASM on if I had one of these, though I'm quite rusty. Do you have any plans for what you want to do with it?
ouch, too bad its a costly 200 dollars.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours