So I thought I finally got it. I managed to send bytes over spi to the atmega, I converted sid dumps to appvars, but then disaster struck...
Sometimes the atmega is in a timer interrupt when a byte should be processed by the SPI interrupt. Can I just enable interrupts inside the timer2 interrupt or would this cause problems?

Timer2 updates the SID emulator at a sample rate of 16kHz.

Edit: Solved it temporarily by polling the SPI instead of using interrupts for it.
I am no Atmega interrupt expert, but enabling one interrupt only while inside a second interrupt sounds like a dangerous proposition to me. Did you have any ideas for a longer-term fix?
Yes, I just poll the SPI registers now. This way data transfer is slower, but more reliable. I just need to add a little bit of delay in between writes on the calculator side. I could also just write an interrupt routine on the calculator that writes one byte at a time.
KermMartian wrote:
I am no Atmega interrupt expert, but enabling one interrupt only while inside a second interrupt sounds like a dangerous proposition to me. Did you have any ideas for a longer-term fix?

Well, TI calcs do that and other z80 systems, too. (ON handling, NMIs, etc.) Prizm afaik does it (More general, SuperH), and I am guessing PCs with IRQs. The list could go on with priority-based interrupts.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours